• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Did I pick the wrong oil filter or is something else wrong?

Setec_Fl

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I used the K&N cross reference chart and selected an oil filter recommended for my 2008 AR210. The filter was replaced Labor Day weekend. I may have about 30 hours on the new filters. And yesterday, I got a low oil pressure warning light on starboard. Opened the hatch to see this mess! Did I buy the wrong filter? I was told the Yamaha OEM ones don’t have as good of flow. But I can’t imagine a marine grade filter rusting through in under a year.

help me pick a better filter please. And thank you in advance.

Attachments

• 15D99D06-1CBD-46A8-8403-D12DDD17A22F.png
    15D99D06-1CBD-46A8-8403-D12DDD17A22F.png
    11.3 MB · Views: 83
Did you dip it in the ocean before install. That is horrible. I would just stick with oem filters. Why would they be insufficient for their engines.
If an oem filter caused a problem on their engines i am sure they would redesign them.
I know there have been part number changes a few times on the oem filters for my boat and skis. So they either are updating the filter or using an other manufacturer.

thin film of grease on the filter?

Dang! Looks like saltwater took advantage of this one. I've used K&N before but mainly stick with Yamaha OEM ones. I've had K&N and the OEM develop rust, but nothing near this. I Spray a coat of YamaLube on them when I spray my engines.

Thanks. I’ll make sure to spray them down when I get the replacements installed. I’ve checked the engines while underway and don’t see water coming from anywhere. Not really sure how it got that rusted.
I’ll look for the OEM one and give that a try. I believe it is 5GH-13440-70-00. I honestly liked the KN because of the wrench off feature. But I’ll go with what ever doesn’t ruin my engines.

Yeah @Setec_Fl I liked the K&N for the same reason. But I have to say I haven't had issues getting the OEM off and on. So that's a good thing.

Have you checked your oil to make sure there is no water in it?
i did when I changed it. The rust seems all from the outside. I will check again when I get the new filters in.
Is there a site that tells you the correct OEM filter number? My owners manual says to refer to the service manual which I cannot find online.

Did you find that filter when you were snorkeling or what? Stick with OEM

I cannot fathom how that rusted THAT badly in a matter of months.

I know K&N has had issues in the past, and there have been knockoffs sold on Amazon that were garbage, but if that's a NIB from somewhere other than Amazon, I would contact K&N.

Doubt you still have the box, but they may have you send it in to see what's up, and replace it no cost. K&N are great filters, so if it matches up, it never should have performed like that. I have run them for years on my cars, through Wisconsin winters, and never had one look remotely like yours does. I suspect something other than the filter is the issue, unless that's a knockoff you received.

Is there a cut in your bilge hose or other line that is possibly spraying into the bilge? I just replaced a section of hose that had a small split in it so when the pump came on it would spray the compartment. I am only in fresh water so it wasn’t that big of a deal.

I am less concerned about a $15 filter and more worried that my motors are messed up. Both filters are rusted and these engines have been babied. I flush them for 10 mins every run with salty captain.
I will check the bilge pump hose next.

I have 15 seasons with KN303s each year. Not in saltwater, but that looks years old, not months. Yamaha filters are made by denso. You can search almost any filter and find that they are great or crap.

Back