• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Difficulty locking plug

Icatfish247

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I am having difficulty locking one of my clean out plugs and wanted to see if it is symptomatic of needing the plugs rebuilt.

I can move the other plug to each hole and install it without issue so I assume the problem is in the plug itself. Also, I recently purchased EZ Locks and if using them the plug will lock into place as it is supposed to. Problem is, I don't want to rely 100% on the EZ lock even though it is very securely in place.

It's a new to me boat so I can't comment on how long its been like this but I did remove the plug and take it apart a few weeks ago as it was completely full of water. It also seems to lock without issue outside of the boat. Thoughts?

Yamaha has a plug rebuild kit that replaces the rubber gasket. I would do that.

The part # is FOR-67609-09-00 - MANHOLE COVER REPAIR SET

image.jpg

X2 on the rebuild kit. I did both of mine when they were getting stuck and now they are perfect. It is easy and relatively cheap.

As always thanks for the quick replies. I took a look at the rebuild kit and it appears it just comes with the gasket and bottom portion of the plug, both of which appear to be in good condition. I won't rule it out but kept looking and found something interesting....taking apart the plug I found the metal rod which holds the handle down has a bend to it. So tomorrow's project is to swap the pin from the good plug and see if that is the issue. I'll update with the findings either way.

That is more likely what you are dealing with, the rebuild kits are for people having difficulty removing or installing the plug. The locking mechanism really has nothing to do with the rebuild kit. with the ezlock you should really have no worries I have had customers with the internal locking parts removed and the only thing holding in the plug was an ezlock with no issues . This may help you

It is common for the lower portion of the plug to swell. That makes it difficult to get it far enough in to lock.

A swollen lower half of the plug might be what caused the pin to bend.

It is common for the lower portion of the plug to swell. That makes it difficult to get it far enough in to lock.

That is what I was thinking as well, just forgot to explain in my original post.

How common ? Is it an age statement or soaking statement?

I'm wondering if this is something worth stocking in the garage (near the beer fridge)

How common ? Is it an age statement or soaking statement?

I'm wondering if this is something worth stocking in the garage (near the beer fridge)

Both Yamahas that I have bought used, a 2005 LX210 and a 2007 SX230 have had sticking plugs. The 230 was so bad that I had to use a 2x4 to install and remove the plugs.

I replaced the bottom of the plugs on both and my 6 year old daughter could easily install the plugs afterward.

I remove the plugs after every use and they have continued to be easy to install and remove. It is rumored that the replacement lower halves have a slightly smaller diameter than the originals.

Well I replaced the pin and still no luck. Oddly enough I found the solution to be backing out the screws that hold the plug together maybe half a turn each. I'm thinking that a combination of swelling and possibly over tightening the screws on my end was preventing the white plastic piece from sliding properly and engaging the pin/lock. It now locks every time without issue and the screws are still in plenty tightly that they won't work themselves loose. Will keep an eye on it but In the meantime I moved on and took advantage of the nice weather to detail the inside of the boat. Good day.

I believe I recall people also have a technique for cleaning up the cavity that the plug goes into. I don;t recall exactly, but it may have involved wet sanding. Anyone care to comment?

The edge on the lower black portion can be lightly sanded. I think @txav8r may have pictures of the process. This was done before Yamaha come out with the repair kits. They are now cheap enough, most just replace them. It is caused by plugs left in and the bottom slightly swelling over time.

Back