• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Do I need a wear ring replacement?

shadynasty

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
195 ID
Boat Length
Hey everybody. First time poster but long time lurker.

My lovely wife accidentally got a little too close to the shore after dropping me at the dock, panicked, throttled up and gave our Scarab 195 250HP impeller a healthy bite of the sandy bottom. It was like hearing a jar of marbles dumped into a blender.

After letting it rest for a good while, I took it out to assess the damage and could not throttle above 3,000 rpms without the boat violently shaking. Like terribly.

From there, I idled to the dock and trailered it home.

Today I removed the bucket and jet assembly today to remove a visibly stuck rock and checked out the wear ring. There is a significant channel dug into it.

Do I need to replace this ring? I’ve never had an issue before this.

Attachments

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
That's definitely a good groove. But the question is whether it causes loss of pump pressure or cavitation. Before replacing it for no reason, I'd simply put it back in and test your top speed. See if you notice any loss of speed/power. You may be lucky.

But otherwise, yeah, they aren't expensive to replace especially if you're doing it yourself. You can always keep this one as a spare one in case and put a new one in. But I'd still test this one so you know.

There is a gap in the manual. Here's the pic:

1631060360974.png

shadynasty

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
195 ID
Boat Length
That’s a good idea. I even considered buying two to keep one on hand. Haha.

To be honest, I am not experienced with this and wouldn’t know cavitation unless it was severe. Do I just keep an eye on speed to notice a slight difference?

The nearest scarab dealer is an hour from me, and of course they suggested that I bring it to them for the replacement. Or I can buy a 161mm wear ring from the place down the street and roll the dice.

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
You already have the pump out. There are tons of videos on how to do this. I'd suggest you do it yourself. If for some reason you encounter an issue, you can always bring it to them.

But yeah, cavitation = loss of power. Just go from 0 to 100% from a stop and see how it performs. Go to top speed and see it it reaches your top speed. That's pretty much it. If you have lost a few mph... it can still be a backup ring in case you ever need one to hold you over. I keep a spare ring... but I've never had to replace mine. So it's not as funny as you think it is! lol I just don't want to have to wait around for parts when I could have one on hand for relatively cheap.

shadynasty

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
195 ID
Boat Length
You already have the pump out. There are tons of videos on how to do this. I'd suggest you do it yourself. If for some reason you encounter an issue, you can always bring it to them.

But yeah, cavitation = loss of power. Just go from 0 to 100% from a stop and see how it performs. Go to top speed and see it it reaches your top speed. That's pretty much it. If you have lost a few mph... it can still be a backup ring in case you ever need one to hold you over. I keep a spare ring... but I've never had to replace mine. So it's not as funny as you think it is! lol I just don't want to have to wait around for parts when I could have one on hand for relatively cheap.
Great advice.

There are a few chips in the impeller. Any experience there?

Some of the instructional videos I have seen really scrutinize even the slightest nicks.

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
It all adds up eventually to loss of performance. The more nicks in the impeller, the more grooves, the more space, etc. But those seem fairly small. I don't expect any significant issues. I'd take it off and simply use a file to smooth out the edges all around.

The gap between the impeller and ring is much more important. But you could be lucky all around here. No way to know until you test it out.

WaTeRMaNiaC407

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212XD
Boat Length
If you replace the wear ring and still have cavitation then it is likely your impeller is damaged. You can send to IMPROS and they will repair it for much less than it would cost you for a new one. I have used them several times with great results.

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Great profile name!

DavidScarab

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Hey everybody. First time poster but long time lurker.

My lovely wife accidentally got a little too close to the shore after dropping me at the dock, panicked, throttled up and gave our Scarab 195 250HP impeller a healthy bite of the sandy bottom. It was like hearing a jar of marbles dumped into a blender.

After letting it rest for a good while, I took it out to assess the damage and could not throttle above 3,000 rpms without the boat violently shaking. Like terribly.

From there, I idled to the dock and trailered it home.

Today I removed the bucket and jet assembly today to remove a visibly stuck rock and checked out the wear ring. There is a significant channel dug into it.

Do I need to replace this ring? I’ve never had an issue before this.

DavidScarab

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Same thing just happened to me yesterday with my scarab. Heard the marbles then it just stopped. Now when I try to start it it turns over very slowly. Wondering if the wear ring or impeller are just stuck or something worse. Any thoughts.