• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Do this in your driveway INSTEAD OF on the side of the highway...

Scuba_ref

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Now this is getting interesting. I have a half finished remodel of my garage, so the boat will fit, and I'm worried the duty is going to make me beef up the footings.

Daren Humphries

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Get rid of the cr@p tires on your trailer!!! And I don't just mean replacing the belted tires with radials. I know a lot of you guys have been doing that, and most of you have been getting new radials for free, but IN MY OPINION you're still running a risk of tire failure. And possible boat damage. These Yamaha's are ~$60k boats, do you really want to be towing that investment on $39 tires? YIKES!!!

Ok so here's the story... Shoreland'r specs the trailers for 14 inch radials. The Yamaha dealers want to make every last dime they can so they buy the cheapest 14" tires and wheels they can buy. You can buy the tires AND wheels on these trailers for about $60 each. Seriously. Your $60k boat is riding on $240 worth of wheels and tires. Seriously? That's insane. Again, this is my opinion.

So I started looking at a solution. The highest load range you can get in a 14" trailer tire is load range C. That's 1870lbs MAX. EACH. So your 242 weighs around 6k lbs wet. That's 1500lbs on each tire IF everything was perfect and each tire was loaded perfectly evenly. So 1500lbs on a Chinese tire that's rated for a max of 1870, some would say that's "ok". But in a real world, those 4 tires are very rarely loaded evenly. So what happens when you have 4k lbs on one axle and 2k on the other? You now have 2000lbs on a Chinese tire that's "rated" (debatable) at a max of 1870. That's a problem.

So after researching tire and wheel sizes and weight ratings, here's what I found... You really need to have 15" wheels on these trailers. When you go to 15" wheels, you can then go all the way up to load range E or 2830 lbs max each. Load range E is a little overkill in this application, load range D is plenty. Load range C is too low though and really doesn't give the situation any wiggle room for overloading or uneven axle loading. (More common than you'd think.) The stock size on these Yamaha/Shoreland'r trailers is 215/75/14. I settled on 225/75/15 load range D as what I would call the perfect size and load range. That size tire is rated at a max load of 2540 lbs each. That's a total load range of 10,160 lbs. for a tandem axle trailer. Sound like overkill? Not really. That 10,160 number on a tandem axle trailer is actually supposed to be reduced by ~15% or so over a single axle trailer. So the max load range is more like 8700 lbs or so, or 4350 per axle. That gives enough overhead so that if there's 4000 lbs on one axle and 2000 on the other, it's still ok and safe.

So what do all those numbers mean? It means that if you want to drastically reduce your chances of being on the side of the highway with a blown out tire and possibly damaged trailer/boat, get those undersized wheels and tires off your boat now!!! Seriously.

Here's some pics of the wheels and tires I got. I bought them from Onlinetires.com. The guy I dealt with was Leonardo Garcia, a really nice guy that took good care of my order. The original wheels I ordered weren't available, he found some wheels that actually looked better and asked if I wanted to switch the order to them. I did and he had them mounted and balanced before shipping them. I literally unwrapped them when they got to my house and put them on the trailer. Super easy. They cost me a little over $800 including tax and shipping, mounted and balanced with new lugnuts even. The tires I got were Maxxis 8008's, they seem to be THE trailer tire right now. They tow great, fit perfectly and I now don't have to worry about cheap overloaded tires ruining my weekend or trip.

As far as fit, on MY trailer they fit perfectly with no rubbing whatsoever. What I did do though is to cut the extra threads off the two bolts that are directly above the tires though. You can either cut them shorter, or simply flip them over and have the nut and threads on the top side of the fenders instead. The 15's look awesome on these trailers and the particular wheels I ended up with look WAAAAAYYYYYYY better than the cheap stamped steel stock wheels. DO IT! lol.

I'm sold on the wheel tyre upgrade but my question is how did you get your tower to lower all the way down like that? We just bought a 212X and there are steel lanyards that arrest the tower's descent. Thanks again for bringing up the next way to blow a few more bucks on more boat related stuff btw ;)

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
This isn't on the topic of the upgrade, but trailer tires have a life cycle and it's not necessarily based on miles or tread wear. Sitting outside without rotation is the worst thing for a trailer tire. Regardless of tread or wear you need to consider replacing trailer tires every 3 or so years. This is regardless of cheap or expensive. I actually got the most time out of the original trailer tires from MFI. I'll say that I only drive back and forth across a 2 mi bridge.

Extremneon

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
I have a 2021 single axle trailer that I just purchased a set (4) of 15” Vision Warriors and Goodyear Assurance 225/75R15. I plan to mount two spares on it, never know and it will look awesome.

got started down this road to find slightly larger tire to help clear a slope in my driveway.

I guess we will see if they fit.. 😂

4FAB5AA2-B2E4-49E4-BC3C-D9A9767FF960.jpeg

Extremneon

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
What do you know, they fit like a glove and match the Yamaha logo very well.

Waiting on the other spare tire bracket and the Yamaha tire covers and will be good to go with two full size spare tires and rims.

FD2DE3D9-4ABD-403C-9337-B3F060C42A0B.jpegDDB4147E-CA9F-4F5A-A574-0E98AD4466BF.jpeg84579933-EA7C-4311-8D57-DEBF1593BDB7.jpegEE3A806F-F3EB-4774-BD14-8BBFEF547DDA.jpeg

5DABE983-99B6-4DE6-A27F-72BFDB6AE796.jpeg

Last edited:

DiggerPA

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
@Extremneon they look amazing, I have a 22 195s, looks like the same trailer. Can you send me the details of the rims and tires. My boat is in storage for the winter and I don't have access to it. In your picture they look to be wider as well as taller. I assume they don't rub anything underneath? Sorry to ask so many questions but I know nothing about wheels and tires, have never purchased wheels in my life, just replacement tires for cars.

Extremneon

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
@Extremneon they look amazing, I have a 22 195s, looks like the same trailer. Can you send me the details of the rims and tires. My boat is in storage for the winter and I don't have access to it. In your picture they look to be wider as well as taller. I assume they don't rub anything underneath? Sorry to ask so many questions but I know nothing about wheels and tires, have never purchased wheels in my life, just replacement tires for cars.

They are Goodyear Assurance 225/75/15 on the Vision Warriors 15x6 5X4.5 lug pattern.

The tires are definitely taller and wider than stock by good bit. I pulled the fender off the first one I installed to make sure they didn’t rub anything and then reinstalled the fender with the tire mounted and double checking the spacing in the rear and the sides. They fit perfect and I can’t see anything that might rub at this point. Will update once we pull the boat with them, but I believe them to good fit and with the added benefit of a higher load and speed rating.

I wanted a taller tire than stock to help with the angle of my driveway at the roadway and hoping this will help some.

I picked it up all from Discount Tire Online and they came mounted and balanced and ready to go on the trailer.

DiggerPA

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
They are Goodyear Assurance 225/75/15 on the Vision Warriors 15x6 5X4.5 lug pattern.

The tires are definitely taller and wider than stock by good bit. I pulled the fender off the first one I installed to make sure they didn’t rub anything and then reinstalled the fender with the tire mounted and double checking the spacing in the rear and the sides. They fit perfect and I can’t see anything that might rub at this point. Will update once we pull the boat with them, but I believe them to good fit and with the added benefit of a higher load and speed rating.

I wanted a taller tire than stock to help with the angle of my driveway at the roadway and hoping this will help some.

I picked it up all from Discount Tire Online and they came mounted and balanced and ready to go on the trailer.
THANKS!!!! Happy Holidays!

Extremneon

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
THANKS!!!! Happy Holidays!
Happy Holidays!