• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Do you have fins on your jet boat?

Do you have fins on your jet boat?

• Heck yes - best mod ever

Votes: 91 51.4%
  • Yes - but could have done without them

Votes: 26 14.7%
  • "Fins... we don't need no stinking fins!"

Votes: 60 33.9%

• Total voters

Liveto99

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Assuming you’re replying to my “underwhelming” comment... please don’t take it personal. As a new boater that loved the thought of improved slow speed handling, your product sounded like it would fit the bill just nicely and it absolutely did.

But just like a new movie being released, if some consumers use the product (especially those with more effective applications) and are just blown away by it, their feedback can skew the expectations of other buyers and potentially leave them feeling underwhelmed.

This is no fault of yours. Your product still delivered exactly what it advertised, which was an improved steering system that doesn’t hinder other functionalities of the jet. And for the record (again), I’m not mad that I installed these.

I probably should’ve realized this before purchasing, so my hope would be that my post (with photos displaying the much more compact design) will help tame others expectations with buying these same fins.
The new boats with The articulating heel and with different nozzles handle a lot better than the old boats do. So where are you might get modest improvement with a brand new boat you got tremendous improvement on an older boat where whenever you turned the rear end washed out.

Nate_603

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
I installed Thrust Vectors because I use my boat for, among other things, trolling for salmon and stripers. I was having a heck of a time keeping the boat straight while manning my lines-- a problem made worse by asking my wife to steer. Similar to another poster above, I did notice a small increase in my forward-idle speed which I consider a slight drawback as I usually prefer to troll at a death crawl.

I trailer my boat and often navigate through strictly-enforced no wake zones so I've found them to be an excellent investment.

dbfl

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
They're an improvement on my 2021 SX190 though not as much as I expected and have a couple foibles:

+ Keeps back of boat from sliding when crossing wakes, particularly at low speeds in canals with opposite or passing traffic.

+ Improved forward maneuvering at slow speeds, but only off idle, e.g. at least a click into no wake mode.

- Reverse actually seems worse. I notice the stock lateral thrust outlets (that improve reverse thrust directivity) may be partially blocked by the fins when the wheel is turned close to the extreme. Subjectively past about halfway left or right turn in reverse, the boat can even start swinging the opposite direction. I don't recall it doing this before I installed the TVXs.

- Not too fond of the rooster tail at no wake speeds, though doesn't seem to hurt anything. I know I could remove a spring but then would lose some benefit at the very speeds where it helps me the most.

- The bottom spacer bar was about 1/8" too short, making the fins visibly not parallel. I added a couple thin stainless steel washers on each side to work around this.

Last edited:

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
F Y I I offer many model specific steering systems for all Yamaha jet boats . Example, I have super ultimate ak-19 deluxe systems for the 2019 and newer 19 foot boats. These offer so many features and benefits spring loaded , adjustable , no increase in draft of the boat, tempered aluminum construction, plaining surface for faster hole shots and a smoother ride in chop with a cleaner wake , no interference with the reverse thrust, improved steering at all speeds better handling in waves, wind and current. Better handling for water sport activities.

Attachments

captras

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I waited a year or more before I decided on the fins. Part of it was deciding between the Cobras and Jet Pilot. During that time I learned how to operate and maneuver very well, and could perform better than I could with my old stern drive. I read tons of reviews and comments, mostly here. When I finally bit the bullet I was not expecting awe inspiring differences, but was expecting noticeable improvements. What I got was exactly what I expected, and for the most part, exactly what Jeff said about his product. The low speed maneuvering was GREATLY improved. The difference at speed was slight, but not a game changer. But for me, the low speed improvement was my main incentive. They work as advertised. You still have to drive, you still have to keep you mind in the game when in tight spots. You can live without them, but with them it will increase you comfort level, and make it much easier for others you allow to drive. I dont regret buying them and would do it again if I had the opportunity.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
And now I have the latest super fins and extra top fins plus plaining surfaces and super fangs all upgrades from a few years ago , people are reporting immediate hole shots , and even a few more MPH on top end, The systems just keep getting more features and benefits as time goes on. Not just at the dock but at all speeds and even off power control.

kgower

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
222SE
Boat Length
Will be purchasing fins as soon as I receive confirmation of delivery from the dealer.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Thought about buying them, but after getting the boat and trying it stock, we're happy with how it handles now - the A/K works well and NWM helps to make docking easier.

dbfl

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I now have Cobra Super Ultimate AK-19 (I think it is) fins on and went out with them a couple weekends ago. Just the right amount of steering assist and no more funny business with the reverse thrust. They're set all the way down (full time down position). I may experiment a bit, and the current setting is just fine. There was no difference that jumped out at me about hole shot response or chop handling. They were certainly not worse in those respects and may be better. The wake is at least as clean as with no fins, and maybe a little cleaner.

I'm definitely happier with these than the TVXs. Jeff's fins feel more carefully designed/engineered - best way I can put it. It's readily apparent he put a lot of thought into their design and the fit was perfect.

I could maneuver pretty well at low speeds already, and have the fins mainly to keep the rear from sliding around from hitting wakes at low and high speeds, and in chop. The boat more much easily maintains a straight line without constant steering correction/input.

markallan

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Best thing i upgraded other than the stereo....lol