• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Do you have questions about Battery Chargers? I am here to help!

JetBoatPenguin

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
This might be slightly off topic . . . but in the connection between the electrical AC on the dock and the on-board charger (Let's say ProMariner) . . . is it a good practice to drop in a Surge Protector to buffer from lightning and other electrical issues between the AC outlet and the on-board charger. Since . . . I don't really like the idea of replacing things like an ECU and electronics . . .although reasons to upgrade are always fun. (as in . . . i am sure the audio system blew - so I need to upgrade).

Or, are the chargers also "surge protectors".

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
The outlet you plug into on the dock should always be GFCI protected, as well as the line feeding it. Adding surge protector would not hurt, but the promariner manual says nothing about doing so. The input voltage range is 120v-230v. Our marina ran at 129v last season. I do not have a surge protector on my 3-bank. It is fed from a 15a GFCI outlet though.

Last edited:

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I agree with Zipper on docs having Gfi therefore surge protectors are no needed. You would have to keep the surge element out of the elements for it be relevant.

Joshua Miller

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252XE
Boat Length
@Island Jay do you ever see battery chargers draining batteries while on maintenance cycle? I've got an issue right now at this post https://jetboaters.net/threads/problems-with-pro-sport-12-charger.25600/ but long story short I had my Duralast Deep Cycle Marine battery hooked up to a ProSport 12 all winter on maintenance cycle, disconnected it for a few days (the charger from the power source but not the battery from the charger) and then when I plugged it back in the battery was dead (~2.5VDC) and the charger is showing it is too low to charge. Strange thing is I have a NAPA battery, same type, hooked up as well, it's an older battery, and it's still showing fully charged. The Duralast battery was installed in the boat for only one season; is this a warranty issue with the battery or an issue with the charger?

osuart

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Amazing thread - appreciate all the knowledge. 2 battery system is an off season upgrade for sure. In the immediate has anyone tried this charger? I went with the Duracell AGM 31 and matching their AGM charger feels right and is in stock, love to get something today (tomorrow on the lake)

thoughts?

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I didn’t read the whole thread so sorry if something similar has been discussed. But people with two batteries, a ACR, and dual bank charger here is a tip. To keep the ACR from connecting the batteries while charging the simplest way is to put a switch on the ground wire of ACR. But for me that was one more thing for me to forget to do. So what I did is got a cheap Ac to Dc converter and wired the ac side to the wall plug socket and the dc side positive to the starting isolation terminal and the negative to negative. That way when I plug the charger it the converter sends 12v to starter isolation which disconnects the two batteries and the charger can do its thing to each battery separately. Nothing to remember and has been working great.

This is EXACTLY my set up. I was researching how to use the ProSport12 charger w/ my BlueSea ACR! I have cut off switches for battery A & B and and another ON/OFF switch to disconnect it all. Can I just cut these off and have the ProSport12 dual bank connected to each battery? Thanks!

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
one charger per battery as long as the batteries are not connected...this seems fine.

I have the BlueSea ACR hooked up to 2 -- 24's (crank & house). I just installed a ProSport12 dual bank charger connected to each battery respectively. Will the ACR interfere with the ProSport12 automatic charging function? WIll the ProSport12 or the BlueSea ACR damage each other? THANKS!

Island Jay

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Its been a few years, so if the model changed my knowledge may be off. Prosports need to be connected right to the battery. One bank per battery. If you put an ACR between the charge and battery it will stop the prosport from doing its job. The prosport should recognize the ACR and charge accordingly. If unsure contact the manufacturer, promariner.

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Its been a few years, so if the model changed my knowledge may be off. Prosports need to be connected right to the battery. One bank per battery. If you put an ACR between the charge and battery it will stop the prosport from doing its job. The prosport should recognize the ACR and charge accordingly. If unsure contact the manufacturer, promariner.

THANKS! I connected the ProSport12 dual bank (House Battery and Crank Battery -designated bank) cabling directly to each group 24 battery respectively. The ACR is connected to each (house & crank) battery also and I have 2 battery cutoffs, 1 BlueSea dual circuit battery switch and 1 BlueSea on/off switch to control total battery system. I cut both of these battery switches to OFF and turned on the ProSport12. The ProSport "green check mark" is lit up after going through the initial set up phase and is now "charging." Knock on wood all functions work as supposed to. Thanks again for your advice!

Sean R

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Maybe this was answered above, alot to read and I have zero experience with batteries. I keep my boat 8 months out of the year at a dry storage marine, no place to charge my batteries. My batteries are stk with the boat all I have been doing is bringing them home once or twice during the season and put them on a trickle charger. I purchased a Noco genius 6750 6v/12v .75 amp charger maintainer. Is this a bad idea?

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well, it beats not charging them at all... I would say the more times a season you are leaving it on any maintainer is better. And of course a nice smart maintainer is better than just a dumb trickle one.

I think my first season I didn't even have a maintainer. Added a dumb maintainer the 2nd season and used that for 5 seasons or so. All with the stock batteries. Everyone told me that without a smart charger I was killing my batteries--didn't happen. I finally changed them after 6 years, just in case. Upgraded at that point to a fancy smart charger more out of convenience than anything. And my 2nd set of batteries are still going, of course.

The moral is that something is better than nothing and often times may even be good enough for your use profile.

Sean R

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
That's what I did with my last boat 2017 AR190 one battery know issue for 3 1/2 seasons and 300 hrs. Now I just got a 2020 212S two batteries and looking for a different option. Lugging one battery was a pain now two and they're harder to get to.