• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Do you have questions about Battery Chargers? I am here to help!

Cohenmd86

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
So is this good or Killing the the 100,000$ sports car with 87 octane IMG_1829.PNG

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Depends on how you want to use it. That is a good option for maintaining batteries, but to recharge and conditioning batteries, you'll want a higher amp charger. Something like a 15 or 20 amp multi-bank charger is good.

markp

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
have a sx195 2018 with an interstate 24M-XHD marine battery i have pulled the battery out of the boat for the winter what type a maintenance charger do i want for it ?

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Something that has maintenance stage for it.

Island Jay

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
What @FloJet said. As long as it is a smart charger that will have a maintain mode it should be good. Something like a Prosport 6 or Promit 5 will be fine and can be mounted into the boat as well.

brokitansky

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I have a 2018 242x that I would like to get an onboard charger for so I don’t have to take the batteries out all winter. I think it would also be good for the summer since my boat lives under a dock with a roof and the solar chargers are basically useless. What is the best option for an onboard charger for my boat? Do I need to do anything special with battery connections or switches so I don’t fry the electronics?

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The minn kota I use does the work really well. Never had any issues so far and I've had it for 2 years now.

Island Jay

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Your charge need is based on the batteries. Type, age, setup, qty. Let me know and I can help guide you.

thanks!

Bubbjr7

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
We have a 2 battery setup in our boat. 1 deep cycle and 1 cranking. They are interstate batteries that came from the dealership. It gets pretty cold here in New England in the winter so I have taken the batteries out of the boat. I would like to buy a charger/maintainer for them. In the summer I would probably like to plug in an onboard charger while I'm not using the boat during the week.
Couple questions,
Would it be okay to leave the batteries in the boat over the winter and run an extension cord out to the charger in weather below freezing? Or should I continue to bring them in the house over the winter?
I also plan on carrying a jump pack with me on the boat whole out on the water. If an emergency arises is it okay to jump the boat with that charger installed? Or does it need to be isolated from the batteries first?
Also, which charger do you recommend?

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@afdouble I just saw this thread and thought maybe ask your charger question here...?

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Minn Kota is a good one. I use the two bank one and never had any issues with it so far in over 2 1/2 years.
You may want to bring them indoors or into the garage if it stays constantly below freezing. Otherwise, as long as it's being maintenance, you should be fine.

Evil Sports

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Bubble, I'm in New England as well and for the past 6 Winters I leave 3 batteries in the boat with the charger on over the winter with no issues,

DavisAR195

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@Island Jay during the winter months I hook my battery up to the battery tender and remove the acid covers. After I charged it last month I noticed the fluid looked a little low so I added some distilled water. A few days ago I hooked it up to the tender and left it over night with the fluid covers off. In the morning I went to unplug it at noticed the fluid around the base on the work bench. It looks like I must off added to much distilled water the previous month and it bubbled over during the night. Do I need to worried about the life of the battery now?

Island Jay

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Bubbjr7 It is always best to not let your batteries free. A charger will help in this situation, but expect the lifespan of the batteries to drop.

Assuming they are both lead acid or both AGM, any decent smart charge like a Promariner Prosport 12 bank would be good here. You can get a 20 amp model to charge faster but likely not necessary unless you are going out every single day.

You can leave them plugged in as long as you want. If you are the the water and need to jump the starter, that will not hurt the charger.

Island Jay

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@DavisAR195 This is more of a question for the battery manufacturer. There is a good chance you destroyed the battery or cut its lifespan. I am not familar with any modern smart charger needing the caps to come off the batteries to charge them. Was there a reason you did this?

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@Island Jay during the winter months I hook my battery up to the battery tender and remove the acid covers. After I charged it last month I noticed the fluid looked a little low so I added some distilled water. A few days ago I hooked it up to the tender and left it over night with the fluid covers off. In the morning I went to unplug it at noticed the fluid around the base on the work bench. It looks like I must off added to much distilled water the previous month and it bubbled over during the night. Do I need to worried about the life of the battery now?
Lond term "Battery tenders" maintain too high a voltage around 13.8v which is high enough to cause the battery to gas off and cook. They should be floated at 13.2 - 13.4 volts.
Marine Battery Maintenance 101 - e Marine Systems

Last edited:

Bubbjr7

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thank you guys.
@Island Jay the Promariner Prosport 12 sounds like a good fit. I'm interested. Can you get me one of these? Thanks

Island Jay

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Bubbjr7 I have been out of that business for a few years, so I am afraid not. You can get them at most marine dealers, bass pro, amazon, etc.

Bigdog

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
Hello Jet Boaters.

My name is Jason with Charger Guy and I am here to help out with your battery charging needs.
Please check out my Vendor Section at Jet Boaters.

I also made a video about battery chargers. Feel free to watch it as it covers a lot of topics. If you have any questions about battery chargers, please let me know. I am here to make sure you have a safe time on the water.

Thanks!
Jason

Jason,
Were can I find were to buy one of these chargers?
Thanks

Island Jay

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I no longer sell chargers. Check out Promariner.com for dealers.