• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Do you have questions about Battery Chargers? I am here to help!

Island Jay

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@jonw9
I have little experience with Solar, and no products for solar, so I am afraid I cannot help here.
For general topping off there is nothing wrong with a small charger. if you have AGM's, just make sure they will be ok with the small amps.

jonw9

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
GTS
Boat Length
No problem. thanks for responding.

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
No shore power. . . .but temped up the solar panel. Hard to tell in the picture. She looks so lonely there without me. ;*(Screenshot_2014-06-16-15-37-14~2.jpg

Trevor Shipman

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@ChargerGuy I have a Interstate 27 deep cycle batter and a random cranking battery. Once the cranking battery goes out on me I plan on running 2 (total) of the interstate 27's. What on board charger would suggest? I also plan on adding a switch, right now I just have the stereo and amps going to the Interstate battery and the motors going to the cranking battery. What switch would you suggest as well? Thanks in advance!

Island Jay

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hello @Trevor Shipman
Two batteries would work just fine with a waterproof guest or prosport charger. 10-12 amps and under $100 from me. Waterproof, automatic, includes all AC & DC lines. Feel free to email if if you would like to learn more.
They will work with any Perko switch that has a 1/2/ALL/OFF option. Ideally you want the switch to be off when charging.

thanks!
Jason

Trevor Shipman

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks @ChargerGuy I have the 3 prong Perko switch so I guess I just need the charger. I hate to sound like a dummy, but how does this wire up in the boat (I notice it has a regular wall switch)? I'm a novice when it comes to electrical. I guess I'd need to know how to wire the on board charger. How to wire the charger to the 3 prong perko switch and then how to wire the batteries to the switch? I think if this is something I can do on my own I'll def be interested in ordering it from you. Do you have a 'master' diagram I could see?

And just to make sure we are on the same page... I'm looking to be able to charge both batteries while the boat is powered on and I'm on the lake. Not running an extension cord to the boat then charging.

Thanks!!

Last edited:

Island Jay

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The chargers that I sell are AC Smart Chargers. Those require an AC outlet to charge.
They also get wired right to the battery terminals. Never involve the switch.

If you want to charge from the engines only, you can do that but it is called an ACR and I do not sell them.
thanks!
Jason

Water4fire

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
Ok guys I have a couple questions. I am building/restoring a Seadoo 230 Wake and I have added a very nice stereo with a total of 1000watt Rockford amp as of now. 4 JL 7.7's and a 12JL sub. I need help setting the batteries and charger up. My boat has a 30amp/ 380w generator/stators.
I have two batteries. A oddy AGM to start the motors and I just bought a Duracell 31agm for the stereo. Since that Duracell is so dam heavy I am going to place it up front with the stereo's amp. NOT connected to charging from on board underway! Will this battery be OK to last the day and is this set up ok. We do not run All day with radio on. But maybe 6 hours at most.
What Charger should I get? The starting oddy is as far aft in the boat it gets and the Duracell upfront. ODDY is connected to a battery tender. Thanks in advance/

Island Jay

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
You need to decide if you are going to charge the batteries AND use them at the same time at the dock, you will need an dry mount charger like a Pronautic P. If you are going to charge and go out, you can get a less expensive waterproof with wiring built in like a Prosport. The # of batteries you are using for this application may also require you get a dry mount. So figuring that part out first is necessary.

I have no idea how long a 1000 amp stereo will last on a battery. Not my area of knowledge. I can tell you I have had customers with 3000 watt stereo's with 4 or 5 AGM's in parallel to make sure they last all day.

Water4fire

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
In my case I have no way to charge at a dock or shore. We have to launch the boat every time we go out. So I will charge the Stereo battery when I return from the lake. The oddy battery will not have the stereo load and it is amazing. I don't even care if the charger is hard wired as my Duracell is so easy to get to and place a charger on. No waterproof either.

Island Jay

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
How many batteries do you intend on getting for the stereo total?
Do you want to charge your other batteries? How many total?

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Island Jay Thank you for all the useful information. I have 4 (6v) batteries in series/parallel. My issue is the connext screen is always telling me that the batteries are 12.5-12.4 volts when they are fully charged. Never get past the 12.2v range. Any reasoning to this as I should be getting 12.6 volts when fully charged as I use a Minn Kota 2 bank charger.

Island Jay

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Many waterproof chargers cannot support your 6v series/parallel setup. They can only handle true 12v batteries. This may be the issue, so I would suggest checking with Minn Kota.
I would strongly suggest a dry mount charger for any 6v series setup like yours.

Water4fire

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
I will add another Duracell 31agm so two at most. We don't sit all day and slam the radio so two would be perfect.
3Batteries total on boat. The Oddy in the aft section and two Duracell 31agms with the stereo amps.

Island Jay

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
FYI you cannot mix the 6v series bank with a 12v battery in any way.

Water4fire

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
Mine are all 12v

Island Jay

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I got you mixed up with flojet

Water4fire

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
Ihave a oddy PC925 for a starting battery in the aft and only one durracell aAgm 31 upfront but plan on adding one more soon

Water4fire

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
Did I miss it? I am sorry, but I don't believe I saw you offer me a charger for my boat? I need one and as I mentioned I will have two batteries in the stereo compartment but only have one as of now. Im sorry if I missed it, but all I see in a couple of post up you mention "For general topping off there is nothing wrong with a small charger. if you have AGM's, just make sure they will be ok with the small amps."

Thanks in advance!

Kelso

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Question, talking to a buddy here at work and we were discussing batteries and their chargers. We are planning on getting deep cycle batteries for stereos, trolling motor, etc, and a traditional battery for the starting battery. Can these two different types of batteries be charged in parrallel with one battery maintainer? Will one battery being no deep cycle and one being deep cycle create an issue?