• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Do you have questions about Battery Chargers? I am here to help!

Island Jay

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Plus I can tell you that the chargers I offer by Cabellas, XPS, and Promariner can be installed with a VSR. They do not interfere with each other.

Sacamano

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I wanted to post a picture of my ProMariner ProSport 20 battery charger installation. I mounted it on 1/2" square aluminum tube to keep it off the carpet. I am running the cord through the back seats for this season until I get a feel for my use case and ideal mounting location. I love plugging it in when I park it in my driveway knowing the batteries will be charged and conditioned when I am ready to go out next time.
IMG_0578.jpg

billyb

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Quick question on a minkota 220d...

After ten or so minutes of charging my batteries (that probably don't even need charging - but I wanted to test the charger), I noticed the lights blinking fast...does that mean it's doing a secondary charge?

Thanks

Island Jay

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Quick question on a minkota 220d...

After ten or so minutes of charging my batteries (that probably don't even need charging - but I wanted to test the charger), I noticed the lights blinking fast...does that mean it's doing a secondary charge?

Thanks
Billyb

I have to admit I have never sold the minnkota's. If the charger has been working, and this is something new, then it is worth diving into to see what is wrong.
The factory manual should tell you exactly what that means.

Jason

Kevin M

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@ChargerGuy , Hello, I have a question about what unit would be best for my boat. I have a 2013 242 Limited S with two 24M "Harris batteries" connected to a "BEP Marine VSR. Thank you

Island Jay

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hi Kevin
Are they starters only? Just need to keep them topped off?
Thanks!
Jason

Kevin M

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@ChargerGuy , sorry, one is a starter battery and the other is a house battery. I want to keep them topped off while the boat is sitting in my driveway. Thanks

Island Jay

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
A Prosport 2 bank waterproof would work here. A 12 amp for $67 (off ebay) would be fine. Send all the amps to the dead battery, so if the starter is full, the house gets all the amps. 12-14 hours alter the house should be fine.

Waterproof, includes all DC & AC cables. Check out out here http://www.ebay.com/itm/151323177915

Let me know if I can help more.
thanks!
Jason

Sacamano

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have that model in a 20 Amp and it works well on my 242. Solid well built charger. I love parking my boat in the drive way and plugging it in.

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
20140612_094323.jpg 20140612_094340.jpg
@ChargerGuy - I am looking at upgrading my PWR in the coming weeks and am seeking some guidance. I currently have a single battery setup that I want to convert to dual batteries with the possibility of future expansion to no more than 4 (way down the road). My intention is to have 2 of the SAME batteries (I tend to prefer Blue Top Optima's). As of right now I have no audio upgrades, and don't do much that required the additional power, I just like having a second battery at the ready. I have the "two is one, and one is none" mentality which is why I bought the twin screw Yamaha in the first place. . . . = )

I am unsure whether to go with a ACR or DVSR system. . . . But I think I have settled on an Air Cooled 3 Bank 4oAMP Charger for the system.

The kicker here is the solar panel I want to install, for when I am away from shore power. If this were YOUR boat how would you set it up based on what I have shared. Let me know if I can clarify anything.

Island Jay

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@0627Devildog I am happy to help out.

For 2,3, or 4 Blue tops, the ProTech i 12v 40 amp 3 bank is the way to go. They have the amps needed to charge those AGM's the right way. Note that low amps per AGM can actually hurt the lifespan of the batteries and charger. So for regular shore power, that charger is the way to go, especially for $99.

The chargers that I sell will take a back seat to another power source. Solar, engine, etc. They will give way if something else is kicking in. This is a good thing as they are computer controlled units.

The ACR is more for when underway and making sure your engine is topping off your batteries. Assuming a proper setup, my chargers work fine with an ACR. Note that an ACR is connecting two batteries in parallel. An onboard smart charger or solar charger can trip the ACR to make them active. My chargers can send power per bank, so you have some slight issues with the ACR and an onboard smart charger. Only in the sense that if one is dead and the other full, when they hit parallel, the smart charger cannot get the best reading, because instead of charging independent banks, the ACR is connecting them to a single parallel system. Honestly, if your batteries are always around the same charge level, this should be fine, but it is good to know.

On my personal boat I have 2 batteries with a 2 bank charger between them. No ACR's or solar system. You really need a good reason for them. EG an ACR is great for the fishing boat where the engine recharges the trolling batteries between spots.

Thanks!
Jason

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@ChargerGuy - Thanks for the prompt reply. Can you clarify what the DVSR does in relation to the ACR (is this the same thing by a different name)? Is it necessary or do I just need a multi bank switch and the ProMariner 1240i? Do you have a wiring diagram you can post that would represent what I am trying to accomplish?

Island Jay

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
To be honest I only know the basics of VSR's, etc. So getting into the nitty gritty is a bit outside of my area of knowledge.

Chargers are hard wired to the battery, no switch gets between the charger and the batteries unless you want something to fail. The connection of a battery switch and charger should not be in anyone's train of thought.

Here is the factory manual. Wiring setup is on page 12 http://promariner.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/ProTechi-Rev-B-Manual.pdf
Let me know if I can help more.
thanks!
Jason

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks, the wiring diagram does help a bit. Mind you. . . . . I am an 12v wiring novice. . . . However, I had not realized these hook up directly to the battery and not through a DVSR/ACR/Switch setup. My thinking on this was with the batteries connected to a switch, in the unconnected position, might then be connected through the charger and thus draw power across it.

What is stopping the batteries from pulling power from one another across the ProMariner when isolated by switch?

Island Jay

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The Promariner ProTech chargers banks are isolated internally so the batteries do not cross contaminate each other when not charging. They do not feedback a charge from one battery to the other.
ACR's & switches are not connected to a smart charger like the ProTech. Yes, it is a common misconception. I mean this respectfully, but you should get that thought 100% out of your mind. Chargers get hard wired to the batteries and never through a switch.

The other side to this is that the ProTech is a dry mount with no cables, and needs to be connected to the negative bus terminal. Why not get a ProSport 20 amp 2 bank waterproof charger? It has all wiring, same features as discussed with the the PTi except it is not a dry mount. Check it out here. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=161334629040
For a direct sale it would be $85 + shipping.

FYI Look into the 12vt bible book. A great resource to learn about boat wiring.

jonw9

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
GTS
Boat Length
Do you have a recommendation on a solar charge controller? My lift came with a 10W panel to keep the batter topped off, but it clips directly to the leads. I assume they sell many of these lifts, so it may not be an issue.

I was also considering some sort of attachment that I can plug the boat into the system when stored as well, and keep both batteries topped off. I used to plug my old boat into a Battery Tender Jr. when stored so it was always ready to go when the time came.

I was thinking about this:
http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender-021-1162-Charger-Controller/dp/B004Q820UK