• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Do you have questions about Battery Chargers? I am here to help!

David Analog

Jetboaters Commander
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
NA
I've use the XPS chargers and like them. Started with a 2-bank unit when I put in the 2nd battery when my boat was new . It died with a few months, but ProMariner replaced it. After that, no problems until I added a 3rd battery so I upgraded to a 3-bank XPS. Been working great.

BUT NOW I've added a 4th battery. @ChargerGuy do you have a 4-bank charger for me?
When you parallel two batteries that are connected to different shore charger banks you circumvent the isolation which permits individual profiling and charging (although this won't harm most contemporary chargers it defeats the purpose of multiple charging banks). So there is no point in having more shore charging banks than battery banks no matter how many individual batteries you have. The exception is when you have multiple charging banks connected to multiple batteries in series in an open circuit. A 'distribute on demand' charger sends the appropriate amount of current to the bank in need. It's more important that you focus on the charger amperage capacity in relation to your collective amp/hours and typical usage patterns.
Are you adding a brand new identical battery into an existing bank that consists of well-aged batteries?
Or, you adding another new bank for lighting, for example?

Island Jay

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I've use the XPS chargers and like them. Started with a 2-bank unit when I put in the 2nd battery when my boat was new . It died with a few months, but ProMariner replaced it. After that, no problems until I added a 3rd battery so I upgraded to a 3-bank XPS. Been working great.

BUT NOW I've added a 4th battery. @ChargerGuy do you have a 4-bank charger for me?
Hello maboat.

4 banks are a bit tougher to come by. I usually sell them in the $200 range and they retail for close to $400. However, based on your setup, it may be easier and it will be cheaper, it have 2 chargers. Just the inconvenience of plugging in two chargers. What is your battery setup like? What are all their functions?

Thanks!

Island Jay

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
A fine point worth adding to the discussion....There is nothing wrong with using a maintenance level smart charger (3 amp Ctek for example) for AGM or flooded batteries that are fully charged when returned to storage, such as in a tractor, 3rd car, ATV/UTV, motorcycle, jet ski, etc. The amperage capacity of the charger and desulphation concern is an equation determined by both battery storage capacity PLUS usage. If you don't draw the battery down at rest, don't draw the battery down from excessive accessories use, or only use the batteries for starting and boat operations within the capacity of the boat's charging system, then you don't need the larger capacity shore charger.
Generally, I would agree. Using it to actually charge the AGM would not be the best idea.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I too am glad to have your input here @ChargerGuy . But there are more things at play here than just rate of charge. You hit the nail on the head in terms of desulfation and the need to hit the battery vs trickle charging it like many maintenance type chargers. But the PulseTech chargers, while lower amperage, use different charging algorithms than do other smart chargers. Some of it may be "sales and marketing", but some of it is true. According to their brochures and independent test data, they have an effective charge rate of 5.0 amps even though it is only a 2.5A charger. Also, using variable band pulse, it exercises the batteries just as good as a charger that hits it with 10% of the battery amp capacity. Ctek makes some of those same claims. I have visited with the engineers at Pulsetech on numerous occasions and have had two of their chargers. I stand by them until I see hard data that says they will not provide enough return to the battery to get maximum life from them. I also question the need to add size and weight to a boat to carry around with you, if you hook up at home all the time. My pulse tech is right on the wall, and all that resides in the boat is a pigtail. Effective, safe, convenient, and less work to install. pulsetech charger (Medium).jpg
I wanted to add that in no way am I disputing any advice given, it is right on the money. I am just pointing out that unless the data has changed, or it is somehow more hype than reality, then pulsetech's technology while slower due to rate, certainly restores a battery to optimum condition.

Last edited:

Island Jay

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Txav8r. I hear what you are saying. Personally I have not used or seen these chargers in action. I am going on my knowledge of charges, batteries, and what they require. When I see 2.5 amps per bank connected to a battery that needs 10, I see an issue.

Like I said, it is not a bad charger, but just seems a bit under powered for AGM. The effect charge of 5 amp is better, but I would think that is only if you double up the 2 bank leads onto one battery. If you buy any charger on the market, the total advertised amps get divided per banks. So a 5 amp 2 bank only sends 2.5 amps per bank.

As I mentioned before, if it works, it works. The only real way to confirm anything is to call the factory that made your battery and they will tell you. If they tell you XYZ charger specs will not work, then they are the ultimate resource. Every factory is different. Two different AGM manufacturers with batteries with the same specs will offer different charging suggestions. Crazy, but that is how it is.

Generally, I still believe onboard chargers are the way to go. At most you are looking at 10 pounds, mounts out of the way, and is hard wired to your battery(s). Convenience is key to me when you can plug in and walk away.

David Analog

Jetboaters Commander
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
NA
Generally, I would agree. Using it to actually charge the AGM would not be the best idea.
That's interesting. I realize there will be some deviation in recommendations from manufacturer to manufacturer.
The technical head of Optima posted on the Chaparral forum several seasons ago that Optima recommended the C-Tek 3300 for their AGMs.
I'm a BIG advocate of having the appropriate amount of current to chemically excite the battery for the purposes of desulphation. In this respect specifically how does an AGM differ from a flooded battery? Thanks.

DoubleThrust

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Wow, great to have this resource! Yes batteries are a topic I've thought a lot about, read a lot about, and somehow end up more confused on at the end LOL. Like the situation were on these boats with low charging capability from the motors, adding a second battery can actually increase dependance on a shore charger(?)... LOL. Open > worms. Close > worms.

Thanks for coming on board to help us :)

maboat

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
When you parallel two batteries that are connected to different shore charger banks you circumvent the isolation which permits individual profiling and charging (although this won't harm most contemporary chargers it defeats the purpose of multiple charging banks). So there is no point in having more shore charging banks than battery banks no matter how many individual batteries you have. The exception is when you have multiple charging banks connected to multiple batteries in series in an open circuit. A 'distribute on demand' charger sends the appropriate amount of current to the bank in need. It's more important that you focus on the charger amperage capacity in relation to your collective amp/hours and typical usage patterns.
The OTHER exception is when one has the ability to separate the individual batteries within the banks. I have that ability. When I store the boat and plug in the charger all batteries are disconnected from each other. So each bank on the charger is one isolated battery with its own profile.

4 banks are a bit tougher to come by. I usually sell them in the $200 range and they retail for close to $400. However, based on your setup, it may be easier and it will be cheaper, it have 2 chargers. Just the inconvenience of plugging in two chargers.
I thought about that and may be the way I go. For weight distribution, I have the batteries split with two on one side of the boat and two on the other side, so two 2-bank chargers is not out of the question. I just figured the 'distribute on demand' feature of XPS chargers would have a greater benefit if I could distribute across 4 banks instead of two.

I've also been looking at the Pulse-Tech that @txav8r mentioned. They have a 'quad-link' accessory which rotates the charge across 4 banks in a round-robin fashion. I like the XPS method of 'distribute on demand' better than the Pusle-Tech method of 'round-robin'. But I think Pulse-Tech does a better job at desulfating. I'm just not sure how the Pulse-Tech can do profiling when the quad-link keeps switching between batteries.

Last edited:

David Analog

Jetboaters Commander
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
NA
The OTHER exception is when one has the ability to separate the individual batteries within the banks. I have that ability. When I store the boat and plug in the charger all batteries are disconnected from each other. So each bank on the charger is one isolated battery with its own profile.

Normally you wouldn't see much benefit from having an independent bank charging batteries that are operated in parallel and depleted together. But I guess if you had batteries that are on opposite sides of the boat that you could disconnect, having separate charging banks could yield some benefit.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Can you tell us more about the "dockside power supply mode" on your ProMariner Protech models?

Can I use the third bank to power 12V accessories while connected to shore power? I was planning to install a small IP67 Meanwell 120 to 12V transformer for shore power use. But if it is acceptable to use a bank of the Protech charger as a power supply that would simplify the configuration.

Island Jay

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Can you tell us more about the "dockside power supply mode" on your ProMariner Protech models?

Can I use the third bank to power 12V accessories while connected to shore power? I was planning to install a small IP67 Meanwell 120 to 12V transformer for shore power use. But if it is acceptable to use a bank of the Protech charger as a power supply that would simplify the configuration.
Pretty much any charger I sell by promariner can be used (plugged into AC) while stuff on the boat is being used. Radio, light, fridge, AC, etc. However, the waterproof ProSports should not be used for this much. Lights and Radio are ok for an hour or so, but not for longer or for a live aboard. If it is for more time or power draw, the ProTech i or ProNautic are the way to go. These dry mounts can air cool and keep up with the power draw.

upperdeck

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I have a guest dual bank charger. The charger will not allow me to select battery type anymore. It defaults to the "safe" setting. It typically allows you to select from lead/agm, safe, and gel. I'm ready to pitch the thing overboard!

Can you recommend a dual bank charger? I currently have a start battery (flooded group 24) and a house battery (sears agm group 31)?

I also drilled a hole at the helm to mount the remote led lights that display the charger status, so anything that can utilize that hole to monitor the charger status would be appreciated! Otherwise, I may fill it with another accessory, maybe a USB charger outlet...

Thanks!!!

Island Jay

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hey Guys, happy to help.
Can you tell me if you need waterproof?
Is this about an overnight charge/maintaining to make sure you are always fresh?

I have a few 20 amps in stock, but I want to make sure i am going in the right direction.

Thanks!
Jason

upperdeck

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Mine is mounted under a seat, but it is slipped once a year for about a week with no overhead cover.

I normally only plug it in when it is in my garage. Perhaps when in the slip if needed.

Geiger41

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Mine is for when I am docked at home (which is always) just to be able to plug into the extension cord running into my boat and charge/maintain over night. I don't need the model to be waterproof as it will be in an area that does not get wet .

Island Jay

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Got it

Dry mount chargers are generally for yacht, cruisers, where you need to charge while living on board at the dock. For general overnight charging and to keep things maintained, a waterproof is more ideal. A big $$ factor here is that waterproof charger include AC & DC leads. Dry mounts do not, thus there is more time and a lot more $$ involved with buying marine grade cable.

Regardless of the charger, they will all need to support the same battery type. You cannot connect an AGM to one bank and Lead Acid to another. You rish the chance of over/undercharging, ruining battery life span, and stressing the charger. Frankly, there is no compromise here. If you ever had a fire or drastic situation where something caught on fire, the charger and battery manufacturers can reduce liability because of an improper setup.

Here are my waterproof chargers.
The ProSport 12 & XPS 20 are both 2 bank waterproof smart chargers. Either would do fine here.
FYI The UK ProTornmament and Deutsch 20 amp prosport are not what you want and are for special applications.

Questions?

Thanks!
Jason

Sacamano

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have the stock setup on my boat, two batteries with a VSR. I have a marine starting battery for the start battery and a deep cycle for the house. I just installed a ProSport 20 amp dual bank charger. One bank on the start and one on the house. During the condition charge mode the light on my VSR comes on. I assume it is connecting the batteries because the voltage is greater than the 13.7 cut-in voltage. Is this okay? Does it defeat the purpose of a dual bank charger? What is the purpose of the VSR?

Island Jay

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hello Sacamano

The VSR is not needed with the ProSport. The independent batteries are independently chargers by the Prosport. The VSR is good when you have to charge one battery from the other. Basically recharge your house battery when underway.
Read more about it here http://www.boatwiring.org/vsr-smart-battery-switch/

I am double checking with the factory on the use of a VSR in your application