• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Do you have questions about Battery Chargers? I am here to help!

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
The 232/242 boats came standard with VSR and later DVSR setups.

Island Jay

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I just called the factory and spoke with a tech. The prosport and VSR mix in your setup is 100% fine.

Geiger41

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I would like to order the 2/20 If I got a 3 bank, are there other applications I could use for the third bank for EXCEPT a 3rd battery?? Just curious if I am better with the 2/20 or go with a 3 bank with one bank for reserve. (Depending what it can be used for. Can you explain and give me order info so when I choose I can place my order.

Island Jay

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hello geiger41

A 3 banks can be used on a 2 battery bank system, just double up the leads on one battery.

When you say 2/20, do you mean a 2 bank waterproof 20 amp or dry mount?

If you have any possibility of adding a 3rd bank, getting the right charger now will save you $$ and install time.

thanks!
Jason

Geiger41

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Looks like I would need a dry mount 2 bank 20 amp. Let me know if you have any and I can then place an order

Island Jay

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Geiger. I have a ProTech i 12v 20 amp 3 Bank. Yes, it can be used on 1,2, or 3 batteries.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/151186903725
If you want to buy it off ebay, it would be $70 for the unit. I would just drop you a paypal invoice.

To make sure....This is a 12v only charger. Are you trying to charge a 24v setup?

Cowboy Casey

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have a guest dual bank charger. The charger will not allow me to select battery type anymore. It defaults to the "safe" setting. It typically allows you to select from lead/agm, safe, and gel. I'm ready to pitch the thing overboard!

Can you recommend a dual bank charger? I currently have a start battery (flooded group 24) and a house battery (sears agm group 31)?

I also drilled a hole at the helm to mount the remote led lights that display the charger status, so anything that can utilize that hole to monitor the charger status would be appreciated! Otherwise, I may fill it with another accessory, maybe a USB charger outlet...

Thanks!!!

@upperdeck : just take the power lead off the battery and reconnect it.... it will then allow you to change the battery type... :)

upperdeck

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@upperdeck : just take the power lead off the battery and reconnect it.... it will then allow you to change the battery type... :)
I have done that many times. It appears it is defective. The good thing is that Guest/Marinco happens to be headquartered in Menomonee Falls, where I live. I just dropped it off. If they tell me I'm out of luck, I'll definitely be ordering one here!

Cowboy Casey

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
ahhhh, I was hoping that would fix it... well maybe it will help someone that is trouble shooting this.... :)

Geiger41

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Geiger. I have a ProTech i 12v 20 amp 3 Bank. Yes, it can be used on 1,2, or 3 batteries.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/151186903725
If you want to buy it off ebay, it would be $70 for the unit. I would just drop you a paypal invoice.

To make sure....This is a 12v only charger. Are you trying to charge a 24v setup?
I have 2 batteries but they are NOT connected together. One is for starting the boat and one is for the radio/electronics etc

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Julian - This is a great thread we might want to consider pinning. . . . .

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Island Jay

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have 2 batteries but they are NOT connected together. One is for starting the boat and one is for the radio/electronics etc
That is fine. They do not need to be connected. Independent is ok too.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That is fine. They do not need to be connected. Independent is ok too.
So that means the house battery does not get charged while under way?

Island Jay

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If you are relying on the ProTech, then no. This charger requires AC power to charge your batteries.
If you need to charge the house battery from your engine, you need a DC to DC chargers or VSR. $200+/ea

David Analog

Jetboaters Commander
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
NA
To protect the boat's charging system I understand the desire to keep the stereo bank off-line from the modest stators. However, a giant amount of reserve that is fully charged presents no threat to the charging components. Reserves that are well depleted are a different story as they constitute a significant and serious load. So I recommend keeping the stereo battery bank on-line with the boat's charging system throughout the day to get a maintenance charge. Once you have a long duration at rest with a large audio system at play then after that event you should have the stereo bank off-line for the remainder of the day. Then you depend on AC shore charging for restoration. It's a safe way to protect the boat electronics while extending your play time for that day and promoting longer battery lifespan via shallower cycles.

Island Jay

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I may have missed this, but why not install a VSR between the two batteries?

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Unless it is a DVSR, an ACR is a better alternative. And the DVSR is so much more complicated with more switches and components to make room for. The ASR and dual battery switch are capable of handling a true dual battery arrangement but allow charging of both banks while underway, and isolate when using your shore charging, be it on board or otherwise.