• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Do you tip when buying gas on the water???

Not to digress too far or long from the topic of this thread, but what I find ironic is that Californians on average pay the most for gas even though a lot of it is refined here. There are no less than 5 refineries within 50 miles of down town San Francisco and underground distribution pipes everywhere (most people don't realize the latter until a pipe breaks and their world catches on fire).

Trying to retrack this, I'd tip if they do the work (actually remove and replace the gas cap as well as pump the gas) whether its a boat or a car (or a plane).

I haven't ever had the need to fill up on the water
Agreed. We fill up each outing right here at our dock, while on the lift.
However, if I ever did need fuel while on Oconee, Yes........ I'ld throw a few bucks the attendant's way. He probably is paid min wage, or less these days.

Here in Florida the only self serve fuel docks I've found are at private boat clubs, otherwise every fuel dock I've been to has an attendant. I ALWAYS tip. It might just be in my blood from living in a state that is so tourist dependent and service oriented. I've also found that I always get good service with help tying up and the attendant fueling my boat. I think the stations here also don't like the public fueling their own boat because of the increase chance of a spill. I see all the attendants with rags to hold the tip (no pun intended) to keep the gas out of the water. I also tip when I boat to certain restaurants mad there is someone to help tie up. I see these kids working their asses off moving boats by hand as different size boats come and go.

But then again it is ca, I've seen a guy filling his Lamborghini spider up at costco twice now.
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ............. California. Explains all. Too funny ! However, I feel it does happen in all states. Seen the same here. It's 'jes too funny when ya see some 'ole Geezer, with his Silver Cloud Rolls pumping his own gas, wearing some bright madras shorts ! ......... LOL !

Interesting but related trivia is that TIPS is short for "to insure prompt service", it's ironic that by this definition we should be tipping before not after the service is rendered.

Other misc. word/saying origins/meanings:

GOLF = gentlemen only ladies forbidden
Goodbye = god be with you
Rule of Thumb = women used to be considered chattel (sp?) basically personal property similar to livestock. The rule of thumb was that you couldn't beat your wife with a stick thicker than your thumb. I bet women from this era looked at the size of a man's hands for different reasons than they might today.

Not to digress too far or long from the topic of this thread, but what I find ironic is that Californians on average pay the most for gas even though a lot of it is refined here. There are no less than 5 refineries within 50 miles of down town San Francisco and underground distribution pipes everywhere (most people don't realize the latter until a pipe breaks and their world catches on fire).

Trying to retrack this, I'd tip if they do the work (actually remove and replace the gas cap as well as pump the gas) whether its a boat or a car (or a plane).
It ain't just the gas dude! I caught a flight from Anaheim Sunday. Got there a little early so I decided to grab a burger at Ruby's in the terminal. I ordered the cheeseburger meal and a Stella on tap. Got the bill and it was like $21 or something. The burger was $9 something and the 16 oz. Stella was $10 something. Holy crap!! I'm just thankful I didn't order more beer!! A quick math problem yields that Stella in a CA airport is $80/gal roughly!!

I do not fill up on the water. Around here it is a dollar or more extra.

I fill up on the water very seldom, but always tip when I do. The only time I did not tip is last year when the attendant dropped my $50 chrome Yamaha cap into the water and his manager said, "These things happen." After I paid, I actually just untied the boat and left because I knew I was going to lose it.

In my experience food at the airport and gas on the water is always more expensive because in those situations we are a captive audience.

In my experience food at the airport and gas on the water is always more expensive because in those situations we are a captive audience.
No shit! Like plywood just before a hurricane. It's called gouging.... I understand the gas on the lake, and a dollar more really ain't that bad. I've done the rationalization in my head. Is $50 worth not going to get my trailer, pull the boat out of the water, drive it to go fill up, put boat back in water, then go repark trailer at storage lot, all of which is a 2 man job. The answer is yes. But $80 gallon Stella is just crazy!!

What is Stella, alcohol? If so it doesn't surprise me, a 6 pack of beer at Bev Mo sells for $6 or so (thank you ajohn) at a night club it's $36 ($6 per beer hopefully including tip, for them to reach in the fridge,grab one, pop the top and hand it to you).

By the way, not to brag, well maybe a little, I launch, fuel, recover and store solo a lot not because I want because I have to more often then not lately.

Tipping for gas on the water too me is like tipping when I buy meals to go. It depends on my perception of what services the service provider has rendered. If the gas attendant just takes my money and hits the on button or in the meals case just takes my order and hands me my food along with a bill including tip line then no tip. In the meals case if the order is order is right and ready when I get there I don't mind leaving a small tip, especially if I frequent the place often.

Related experiences: Years ago my friend and I were at a club/bar. He ordered a $3 drink and left a $1 tip. The waitress asked him why he only left $1 for a tip. He asked her for the bill he signed and promptly scratched the $1 tip off of it. I've also seen a lady do this when she had to return to the restaurant because they got her take out order wrong. In another instance, I was leaving a restaurant by coincidence with another patron, his waiter came out to the parking lot to confront him about stiffing him on the tip. Eventually waiter's manager came out, heard both sides of the story and fired the waiter on the spot.

My point is that is all about expectations, I have to work for my money so I expect others to work for it as well which is not unreasonable at all too me.

In Ft Lauder-dale last year we pulled up to the pump..this was the guy before us !!! What's the tip on this??
My son had a blank stare at it and simply said...."do you fill the tank or buy another waverunner....choices choices"

This was the only time I've bought fuel on the water, Never even occurred to me it's a tipping service. I had to fill it myself and walk inside to pay...so..I don't see the service.

upload_2014-3-27_10-20-22.png

What is Stella, alcohol? If so it doesn't surprise me, a 6 pack of beer at Bev Mo sells for $6 or so (thank you ajohn) at a night club it's $36 ($6 per beer hopefully including tip, for them to reach in the fridge,grab one, pop the top and hand it to you).

You never heard of Stella?? It's a beer. Has to be poured in a special glass. It was on tap so I figured it would be a better deal. Wrong!

By the way, not to brag, well maybe a little, I launch, fuel, recover and store solo a lot not because I want because I have to more often then not lately.

You would need to see my situation. I keep the boat in a slip, and the ramp is maybe 1/4 mile away. It's a single ramp for the marina with no courtesy dock and in a tight area. So someone else has to drive the trailer, otherwise by the time you slipped the boat, and ran back to the ramp to get the truck you could potentially lock up the ramp for a good 15 minutes. And, vice versa putting the boat in the water. It's just not convenient. I tried to do it once using a mountain bike, and that was a royal PITA. During the course of the summer I maybe will pull the boat out 1 time.

Tipping for gas on the water too me is like tipping when I buy meals to go. It depends on my perception of what services the service provider has rendered. If the gas attendant just takes my money and hits the on button or in the meals case just takes my order and hands me my food along with a bill including tip line then no tip. In the meals case if the order is order is right and ready when I get there I don't mind leaving a small tip, especially if I frequent the place often.

Related experiences: Years ago my friend and I were at a club/bar. He ordered a $3 drink and left a $1 tip. The waitress asked him why he only left $1 for a tip. He asked her for the bill he signed and promptly scratched the $1 tip off of it. I've also seen a lady do this when she had to return to the restaurant because they got her take out order wrong. In another instance, I was leaving a restaurant by coincidence with another patron, his waiter came out to the parking lot to confront him about stiffing him on the tip. Eventually waiter's manager came out, heard both sides of the story and fired the waiter on the spot.

My point is that is all about expectations, I have to work for my money so I expect others to work for it as well which is not unreasonable at all too me.

@justason
Awesome pic. Fifteen percent would be just shy of a grand!

I mostly fill up on the trailer, but when we go to NH in the summer, the gas station on the lake has an attendant that helps to tie up and pumps the gas, so I usually give her 5 bucks.

Sicne my boat is in a wet slip I always have to fill up on the lake. I use my marina's gas pump and it is self service. There are two kids (high school) that man the gas area. They usually don't come out of the house unless htere are lot of boats waiting (I avoid those times). I never thought about tiping them before. Even though it is self serve I bet if I tip they will come out and help at least tie the boat up. I know they help some people that just won't pump their gas. Thanks for bringing this up. I have had many jobs that earned tips but it was expected and not a self serve situation. I am glad those kids are at least working!!!

They help tie up and pump the gas. I always tip $5-10. I also always take off my own gas cap after they dropped one in the water, but found it.

Hate reviving old topics, but in my quest to find information about fuel on the water, I found this thread. Hell no, I won't be tipping and didn't tip the first time I had to fill up at my Marina where my new slip is last weekend. New Thread to come...but gas was $2.74 15 minutes up the road at BP, and when I went to pay the Marina for my 22 gallons...$112 !!!!!! HOLY!! I was a little upset!

Where I normally fill there is a Vallero on one side of the inlet and a Shell on the other side. Each has pumps at docks with prices the same as what they are selling at the street. Neither has ever had anyone there to tip...

So I pump my gas and follow what shall henceforth be known as @jaybro72 's rule.

Back