• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Do you tip when buying gas on the water???

Seeing this old thread for the first time, I'll throw my $0.02 in. Worked at a marina in high school and while I'd happily take a tip for assisting with gas, it wasn't expected. I'm sure this varies across marinas but the job was primarily boat valet not the gas pumps.

Side note: we were not allowed to remove a customers gas cap since one lucky customer once had his holding tank accidentally filled with gas. So it's not always the attendant just being lazy ;)

My tip is inversely proportional to the size of the dock girl's bikini. Small bikini means bigger tip;)...for the record we are assuming they are all college students.

What a great read.....must have missed this one.

Nobody to tip where I would get gas on the water...IF I needed it. One time, I send my wife up to the "Gift Shop" where the cashier is located. Funny thing is anybody with her, kid, grandkids, came back with a new hat or T shirt. She tells me the pump # to use and hands me back my card.:confused:

Tip?

Yeah, I got a tip for you.....don't do that.;)

I have a much different problem than you all. I have trailered my boat twice. Once bringing it home and the other for a HORRID ten hour service at SURDYKE "bend over" Yamaha at the lake of the ozarks.

My challenge is do I pay on water (at at least a buck more a gallon) or do I haul 6 five gallon tanks up 50 steps and back down again? Being fat sucks.

Yeah I tip them, usually a fiver..They help you tie up and untie and push you off. They are usually college girls making money for the summer. Always cute and friendly. Scary....get gas, keep your eyes on your wife, toss them a few bucks and get outta there before there's trouble.

Last edited:
Where I boat (the only lake I boat at where I need to fuel on the water at least), it's controlled by NPS and regulations mandate that a certified dock hand be present for all fueling because there are controlled measures they have to take if fuel spills into the water. That said, 9 times out of 10 I end up fueling myself.

When they do help me, I tip them 5$. By help me, I mean they aid in catching the boat (usually my wife and I have this down pro, but when they help it makes me happy), and then they either help me fuel it myself or they fuel it for me. Whether it's 10 gallons or 49.8 gallons (that one was scary), I tip 5$.

Back