• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Docking issues

WiskyDan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
So I bought an 06' SX230 at the very end of last year (20 minute test drive and then into winter storage) and have had it out three times so far this year. Previous to this boat purchase, I had only driven a boat once - an older rental Yamaha for about 2 hours in San Diego 3-4 years ago. I'm mostly getting the hang of things and enjoying myself but pulling into the dock/slip has been challenging to say the least. Every video that I watch that shows how to approach a dock or slip is in ideal conditions - no current, wind, or chop to contend with. I dry-stack my boat and have to put it back into a boat slip that accommodates two boats when I'm done at the end of the day. The place where I dock it is on a river between two large lakes and the current can be strong and when the wind whips up it makes it worse. My first day out was pretty calm and I did OK pulling into the slip but on my second and third days the current/wind got progressively stronger and I had a tough time yesterday. I bounced around a bit inside the slip and got tied up but I'm 100% sure that trying to dock with a second boat already in the other half of the slip will be almost impossible unless the river is calm. I now dread having to pull into the dock/slip and, as a new boater, it's starting to effect the enjoyment factor of being out on the water.

I'll be looking at other dry-stack and marina options for next season but since there are quite a few bars/restaurants on the river I'm going to need to figure this out sooner rather than later. I'm guessing that practice makes perfect but taking the friends out to practice docking isn't much fun for them. I'm very interested in how many of the seasoned veterans mastered docking - especially those that have strong currents to contend with.

Docking in current and/or wind is difficult even in a non-jet boat. Practice makes it better, as do the right tools.

First, practice with just you or you and one other person (to help move fenders, grab lines). Don't go out with the boat full and try new things. Recipe for disaster.

Second, master maneuvering away from the dock. Go out to open water and toss a fender out. Pretend it is a swimmer. Go away from it and go 'pick it up'. Approach on the starboard side, don't hit him, and stop at the back deck. Repeat a billion times or so. Try different angles (which will make a difference with wind and current). Then pretend it is a dock. Approach at a 45 degree angle, when you get close, helm to the 'dock' and reverse to slow forward progress and bring the aft end up to the dock.

Third, when docking, put your Bimini down first. That thing is a sail.

Next: Be sure you are using decent fenders and have them strategically placed. I like one on the forward cleat, one on the midships cleat, and one from the handle aft of that cleat. Yep, I don't use the rear cleat often. Once docked the front one is usually useless, but it can be handy if you are coming in. If there is a narrow slip or boat on the other side, fenders over there may be a good idea too. Remember that friend? Before docking, give him a fender to hold. In case something goes sideways, he is to put the fender between your boat and the dock or other boat (not his arm or hands). Prepare fenders and lines in advance. Turn off the radio. That way you are focused on one thing: piloting the boat.

Normal docking is easy because you can come in slowly and flip between forward and neutral to keep speed and steer. Coming in with wind and current can be more challenging because you may need to come in a little bit faster. Not a lot. Just a little. Remember that with no thrust you have no steering.

Consider some fins, too. They help with not only the low speed maneuvering, but also with tracking, keeping the boat where you pointed it. TVs and CJS are the two types. Search here for the dozens of threads debating the merits of each...

Then practice, practice, practice...

Hope something there helps.

Slow slow slow. Don’t be afraid to abort and re approach. Assign others in the boat to help catch or hold bumpers in between pinch points. Put down the Bimini all the way for less wind drag. You may want to invest in some fins that attach to jet nozzles. Many people have them and say low speed handling is much improved.

Lots of great advice above... I would re-emphasize fins. I went with Cobra Jet fins, combined with Lateral Thrusters (require special brackets to be used together). The lateral thrusters really help swing that tail end in and out of tight spaces. The Cobra fins can be set to stay down in the water at all times, which stiffens the steering up a little, but gives you at least some steering whether you’re on the throttle or not. Jet Boat Pilot has perfectly fine fins also, but no option to stay down always. Pick your poison, you really can’t go wrong either way.

Now, what really made things “click” for me was ALWAYS engaging no wake mode, and just bump the throttles in and out of gear to reduce speed. I used to take it out of no wake mode for docking and trailering, but with rpms that low, steering corrections were lethargic at best. Get good at splitting the throttles, learn what happens when you do that. You can spin these boat around on themselves, especially with Lateral Thrusters. Ultimately, as mentioned above, practice WILL be how you master it. I just got mine in the second half of last year also, and while I’m still learning, these were the things that made me feel like I was “over the hump” so to speak.

Agree with all the above. If you have kids that are old enough, assign them to a specific task. My oldest takes the bow and is the first one on the dock. My middle son gets on the swim deck and uses the boat hook to grab the dock and my youngest ties the dock lines. Everybody else sits behind me—the more weight aft the better steering is at slow speeds.

This is season 7 for me and it’s still difficult, even with Thrust Vectors and Lateral Thrusters with current and wind. I don’t think the Thrust Vectors did much other than reduce the time it takes to change directions right or left by 50% or so. The Lateral Thrusters help with not smacking the back of the boat into the dock but still don’t help a lot in the windy, current ridden river and boat launch I use. In fact, there are two ramps there and I can only get into one. The other one I always somehow come in at a 30 degree angle and can never get in straight m.

In flat calm I am fine and try to come in as slow as possible, but a few months ago I docked a stern drive boat like a pro despite only driven it once. With my boat even after 7 seasons I look like an amateur fool most of the time.

I’m a new jet boater as well. It’s been a learning curve. The launch I usually use has a bunch of slips and I pull into those to load and unload people and gear before I clog up the ramp. They are in rough shape though so I have to be really careful. They also are oriented East/West, and the sea breeze is almost always north or south. If I have friends I have them help, get lines and fenders on the cleats, I get close enough for someone to hop out on the slip and have them guide me in. If I’m with the wife I’m pretty much on my own, she has to wrangle the kids, and our youngest can’t sit on her own yet. I stop before we pull into the launch area and get ropes/fenders deployed, I just slowly work it in, I have a abort to a go around my first try most days. No sweat, just try it again. My new strategy has just been to get close enough, Little reverse to get the boat stationary, pop it in neutral real quick, hop on the dock and pull it in. Requires some muscle, but it keeps me from getting sideways half way in the slip and banging up the sides.

I try to line the boat up perfectly center to the trailer from a distance and just keep on course, cobra fins definitely help for sure as I did it once before installing them. I don't use the no wake mode at all, I just feather the throttle for better control. Yesterday it was kind of windy and I got close but wasn't center with trailer, so I aborted mission and backed up and tried again. Even on my second approach I hit my guide pole so hard it loosened it a little bit, but hey that's what they are for and it served it's purpose well since it put me perfectly center on the bunks. All you can do is practice and practice some more.

Biggest thing to remember is bumping in and out of neutral (forward or reverse) you just need a little thrust to move the bow or stern. To get the bow closer to the dock bump forward then back into neutral keeping your steering wheel pointed towards the dock. To move your stern to the dock bump into reverse then back into neutral with the wheel away from the dock. With practice you will walk your boat right up to the dock.

I agree with the other posts, but would like to reiterate “slow with deliberate inputs“.

Think about where the boat IS going to be after your approach, and don’t be afraid to do a go-around.

I bought my boat in March and was starting to think I would never be confident at the docks or ramps, but just installed Thrust Vectors and for me, they made all the difference in control and responsiveness. I wish I had ordered the thrusters at the same time. Only been out once with them and I still need more practice but I already have much less anxiety at the ramp and docks. Also, I keep forgetting to use the no-wake mode to raise my RPM's for more effective bumping the throttles in and out.

Lots of good advice given here. For me, I use the no wake mode and steer with the throttles individually and gingerly trailer, dock, whatever. Even if I have to abort and try again, I'm not so anxious when babying her in as opposed to a lot of momentum. It gives me reaction time. Remember, it's always moving forward, even in neutral. Anyway, these have already been mentioned, but I will add to just be careful having others help you. They can really get hurt if they are standing up to catch a doc or something and you decide that you need to throw it in reverse. (Any chance you drop your helper out at the front of the bow onto the doc, back her up and bring her back in on a second attempt with your helper already on the doc?) Maybe add fenders along the side of your boat to protect it when the other boater docs too. I've had fenders on the cleats, grab handles, hanging from the tower and I also have a throw cushion at the bow with the handle attached to the anchor locker, Just a thought and can give you some piece of mind.

Thanks so much for all of the great tips and pointers. :)

The first thing I did with the boat was have Thrust Vectors installed so I have no experience driving the boat without them. Maybe I was expecting miracles at low speeds with them on but they don't appear to be a huge help. Then again, I have nothing to compare the handling to since this is all I'm familiar with.

I talked to the college kid that takes the boats out of the stack and parks them in the slips so effortlessly and he said that maybe 10% of the boat owners that stack with them could have docked in the conditions that I ran into this past Saturday. It made me feel a bit better and he said that practice makes perfect and to just keep at it.

Some thoughts on points that have been brought up:
  • I would love to come into the dock/slip slow but if the current is strong it takes more speed to keep myself lined up.
  • I think I'm going to buy a boat hook - sounds like a good tool to have while I'm learning. Maybe they make them in 20' lengths which would solve all of my problems. :)
  • I used no wake mode on Sunday and it was OK but the current was still a bit to strong. I ended up in the middle of a two boat slip, cut the engines, and let the current push me to the side of the dock that I originally didn't want to go to. It worked fine and was smooth but if there is already a boat in the slip (on that side) things would have been dicey. If I bounce around a bit inside a slip I'm OK with that but I don't want to go banging on someone else's boat.
  • Feathering the throttle into forward or reverse beyond the point where I have them when no wake mode is engaged is difficult. If I'm not careful I gun it too much and make things worse. There doesn't appear to be a smooth way to go from 2200 RPM to 3500 RPM - maybe its the age of my boat and the throttle cables. More likely it's just me.

The first thing I did with the boat was have Thrust Vectors installed so I have no experience driving the boat without them. Maybe I was expecting miracles at low speeds with them on but they don't appear to be a huge help. Then again, I have nothing to compare the handling to since this is all I'm familiar with.

I talked to the college kid that takes the boats out of the stack and parks them in the slips so effortlessly and he said that maybe 10% of the boat owners that stack with them could have docked in the conditions that I ran into this past Saturday. It made me feel a bit better and he said that practice makes perfect and to just keep at it.

• I would love to come into the dock/slip slow but if the current is strong it takes more speed to keep myself lined up.
  • I think I'm going to buy a boat hook - sounds like a good tool to have while I'm learning. Maybe they make them in 20' lengths which would solve all of my problems. :)
  • I used no wake mode on Sunday and it was OK but the current was still a bit to strong. I ended up in the middle of a two boat slip, cut the engines, and let the current push me to the side of the dock that I originally didn't want to go to. It worked fine and was smooth but if there is already a boat in the slip (on that side) things would have been dicey. If I bounce around a bit inside a slip I'm OK with that but I don't want to go banging on someone else's boat.
  • Feathering the throttle into forward or reverse beyond the point where I have them when no wake mode is engaged is difficult. If I'm not careful I gun it too much and make things worse. There doesn't appear to be a smooth way to go from 2200 RPM to 3500 RPM - maybe its the age of my boat and the throttle cables. More likely it's just me.
I think the hooks can be a great solution. Something your helpers can do as well. Good luck!

4th season with my Yamaha, if I am with a passenger and conditions are not optimal, I will pull into dock forward. or on the side if permissible drop off my passenger and then re- approach dock solo and back it in. Now, I have that extra guidance from the dock and greater control as Your passenger now can help guid the boat and prevent the boat making contact with dock. I learned from seeing others with much bigger boats. The slightest movement on the boat from passengers will greatly affect the motion/ direction of the boat. So dropping off passengers first reduces maneuvering issues. I’m sure you will find what works for you. I also invested in lateral thrusters and force vectors, the cost was the same for a typical gelcoat repair. I know this first hand :(

Last edited:
I know this doesn't really apply, but I've always liked this video, particularly with how he deals with the rope. Maybe this can help you generate some creative thinking.

Boat hooks are a must, especially solo

Attachments

• E1AF6926-4C1E-4801-B780-3978D741645F.jpeg
    E1AF6926-4C1E-4801-B780-3978D741645F.jpeg
    515.9 KB · Views: 54

Another thing that helps is to approach *from* down wind/current whenever possible. When you do have to push the rpms up above now wake mode, just a quick rev usually does it for me, and right back to idle. Just remember, that kills the no wake mode as soon as you throttle up. Mine (also an 06 SX230) is the same, there’s not much in between idle and 3500(ish) rpm, but I found its easiest to ease the throttles up and down by rotating or rocking my wrist back and forth, and essentially moving one throttle at a time just a little bit, as opposed to trying to push both shifters equally at the same time. Hard to describe, but hopefully it makes sense...

Before you run out and buy a boat hook watch a YouTube video on them. Search for something like top 10 boat hooks. They have all kinds some with 3 hooks 2 of them to hold a rope to drop it on a dock cleat, if you're into that kind of thing lol

Back