• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Docking issues

Another thing that helps is to approach *from* down wind/current whenever possible.

The docking wizard at the marina said the same thing and I'm gonna try it this weekend - good stuff!!

I bought two boat hooks and should have them by Friday. I'm hoping that these will give me some piece of mind until I get better at docking.

Just to manage your expectations on boat hooks...

I have one and use it rarely. Very handy for fishing things out of the water. Also handy for reaching a line across or putting it on a cleat/dock. And yes you can grab something and pull the boat in that last little bit.

BUT if you are piloting your ability to do any of that with a boat hook will be limited. Especially in wind/current, you will need to be working the helm to manage your boat. In the time you cut the engines, grab the boat hook, move to where you can use it and deploy it, you will be long gone (missed dock/hit something/turned all the way around/etc.). Good tools, no doubt. But not a substitute for practice in piloting your craft.

I thought of you today as I tried to doc at a place that I try to avoid because of the underwater current. It seems impossible, but I managed to do it on my third attempt. I’m an old guy with some experience so thought I would say something to let you know you’re not alone. Also, don’t worry about the onlookers. They forget about you and you about them in about five minutes or less.

I only plan on using the boat hook/s if I can‘t get into the dock after a couple of attempts when the current is strong. If I’m pulling into an open slip my plan is to not use the hook/s bit of there is another boat it will give me some security. My girlfriend is usually the only person on the boat with me and the hook should make things a bit easier on her if needed.

Do you have help from a passenger when you are docking? A spring line had not been mentioned... Approach bow and let passenger off, Have passenger tie mid cleat line ahead of the boat, then reverse and turn opposite of dock. Boat will right itself.

Docking is hard. Practice. best of luck

Experienced some tough docking last night - constant 12mph wind with the down river current that's faster than normal due to the rain we've had lately. Dock I was using for recovery usually can be driven to in nearly a straight line. But last night I had to come in at a strong port-side angle and then bring the bow around suddenly once I was near the dock. Probably the most difficult docking job this summer so far - I worked those Rev/Fwd levers so much I thought they might melt down! Made it in like a pro though, nice and easy. Once you get used to the amount of control you actually have with the Rev/Fwd levers it's amazing what you can do. It does take practice though!

I know this conversation is over but I have an idea. I’m thinking about having a rope connected to my aft cleat and run it up the side to the bow so that when I jump out onto the doc, I’ll have control of both ends. Just a thought. Never seen it done but it should work.

I know this conversation is over but I have an idea. I’m thinking about having a rope connected to my aft cleat and run it up the side to the bow so that when I jump out onto the doc, I’ll have control of both ends. Just a thought. Never seen it done but it should work.

That is usually what I do when i am getting ready to dock. Usually it's just my wife and I boating, and she's new to the whole process. Where I grew up boating so, know the ropes around a dock. So before pulling into the dock, i usually set bumpers out on whatever side is needed, as well as run a rope from bow cleat to mid cleat, so I can have her jump out and just have to worry about grabbing one line. Works out well.

The conversation is never over if you have another good idea and want to share it.

Good idea. I did see a video where they recommended a bow line run aft to the helm area (or actually further--would be like the back of the glass on our boats). As he backed in to a space, he did not need to go forward to get the line--it was right nearby. He could grab the bitter (loose) end and flip it over a cleat. With a little pull, because the line was attached at the bow, he could (solo) bring the boat close in to the dock and also stop the backward progress. Pretty neat trick. As with anything else, I imagine it would take practice, but it was a good general idea of running a line from the bow (or stern as you suggest) along the side of the boat to use in docking.

Past couple of trips out have been better from a docking perspective. I’m getting better at controlling my speed and not panicking if I’m not lined up perfectly. Letting the current work for me instead of against me - aim for the center of the slip, stop forward momentum, let the current move me to the dock. Thanks to all that offered pointers and/or encouragement. ?

One thing that pissed me off a bit today is that it appears that some douche bag ran into my boat while it was moored last weekend waiting to be put back in the stack. Tore a 12 inch hole in my new Yamaha mooring cover and left a couple streaks of blue paint.

(liking the first part--bummer on the second part. At least it is not a 12 inch hole in your hull...)

There’s always a douch bag about somewhere. Last year while waiting for the ramp to get the boat out for the lake, there was this sailboat and the guy driving it bounced around hit two other boats and almost hit mine. my friends were calling me to come on down and load the boat and I was like “nope...I’m staying tied to the dock until douch has settled owen.” The last thing I wanted was to be on my approach and have him back out. At the end. We were on the trailer and gone before that old sailboat was even on their trailer.

as for docking, I generally tie a fender to the bow handrails and then hang midship off of the window frame with fender tenders. If needed, we will also tie an additional pair (for 6 total to the tower. I find that the rear cleats are so low that they aren’t much use to hang a fender off. it also took me about 4 years before I changed the color in the midship fenders...those two are blue and the rest are white. That way I can tell with a quick glance if the deck crew (that changes a lot) has them set right.

my slip at the lake is 10 feet wide and I only motor the bow to just into the slip and then we walk it the rest of the way in. With only 9 inches to spare on each side, that’s a tight fit. There’s been several times when it hasn’t looked right because of wind and I’ve aborted and made another run at it. I’d rather it be lined up right than put a big old mark ont eh boat.

My slip is covered with dock fenders. 2 corners and 2 strait ones on both sides of slip. Boat fenders don’t always protect Your boat at the dock. I know this first hand. I call them my baby bumpers! Apparently, my slip neighbor benefited From my installation of dock fenders. He left a huge streak on the corner of my dock fender. Must have hit hard and scraped the dock. No damage to his boat so I know they work!

Past couple of trips out have been better from a docking perspective. I’m getting better at controlling my speed and not panicking if I’m not lined up perfectly. Letting the current work for me instead of against me - aim for the center of the slip, stop forward momentum, let the current move me to the dock. Thanks to all that offered pointers and/or encouragement. ?

One thing that pissed me off a bit today is that it appears that some douche bag ran into my boat while it was moored last weekend waiting to be put back in the stack. Tore a 12 inch hole in my new Yamaha mooring cover and left a couple streaks of blue paint.
I would be pissed too. With record boat sales and social distancing, seem the ramps, docks and water ways are cramped. Probably more inexperienced boaters and drunks out there. I would be surprised if boat insurance doesn’t increase with the volume of claims. I had the similar issue pulling into marina slip was over taken by other vessel in order so they could beat me to the restaurant. As it turns out they were seated in the full sun while my party had the bar in the shade. Then I observed them complaining. Lake karma! You just don’t tempt it.

So a little update. My docking prowess has improved quite a bit over the past month and this past weekend I got my boat into a double slip that had a boat in the other side. The current was pretty strong and I bailed on my first approach but the second time I got it in pretty smooth. My girlfriend got a bungee dock line on the bow and when I cut the engines I used my trusty boat hook to grab the stern as it was beginning to pull away from the dock. It took awhile but constant low speed practice allowed me to get a feel for how my boat handles.

Thanks to all of you that offered tips. :)

Something that I thought was hilarious, but the Admiral didn't. I bought a nice boat hook with a glowing end that telescopes. Put it in the ski locker. Two weeks ago I was approaching the dock and told her to grab it and grab the dock right, figured it would be easier as we try new things as we put the boat it and take it out.

So she hooks the dock and I was going to bring the back of the boat along side but I pushed it in reverse to quick and she got pulled over the bow and let the hook go. Almost went in. It wasn't intentional, but she doesn't use the boat hook anymore. So yea, end of that.

So a little update. My docking prowess has improved quite a bit over the past month and this past weekend I got my boat into a double slip that had a boat in the other side. The current was pretty strong and I bailed on my first approach but the second time I got it in pretty smooth. My girlfriend got a bungee dock line on the bow and when I cut the engines I used my trusty boat hook to grab the stern as it was beginning to pull away from the dock. It took awhile but constant low speed practice allowed me to get a feel for how my boat handles.

Thanks to all of you that offered tips. :)
I’ll drink to that WhiskyDan!

Docking in current and/or wind is difficult even in a non-jet boat. Practice makes it better, as do the right tools.

First, practice with just you or you and one other person (to help move fenders, grab lines). Don't go out with the boat full and try new things. Recipe for disaster.

Second, master maneuvering away from the dock. Go out to open water and toss a fender out. Pretend it is a swimmer. Go away from it and go 'pick it up'. Approach on the starboard side, don't hit him, and stop at the back deck. Repeat a billion times or so. Try different angles (which will make a difference with wind and current). Then pretend it is a dock. Approach at a 45 degree angle, when you get close, helm to the 'dock' and reverse to slow forward progress and bring the aft end up to the dock.

Third, when docking, put your Bimini down first. That thing is a sail.

Next: Be sure you are using decent fenders and have them strategically placed. I like one on the forward cleat, one on the midships cleat, and one from the handle aft of that cleat. Yep, I don't use the rear cleat often. Once docked the front one is usually useless, but it can be handy if you are coming in. If there is a narrow slip or boat on the other side, fenders over there may be a good idea too. Remember that friend? Before docking, give him a fender to hold. In case something goes sideways, he is to put the fender between your boat and the dock or other boat (not his arm or hands). Prepare fenders and lines in advance. Turn off the radio. That way you are focused on one thing: piloting the boat.

Normal docking is easy because you can come in slowly and flip between forward and neutral to keep speed and steer. Coming in with wind and current can be more challenging because you may need to come in a little bit faster. Not a lot. Just a little. Remember that with no thrust you have no steering.

Consider some fins, too. They help with not only the low speed maneuvering, but also with tracking, keeping the boat where you pointed it. TVs and CJS are the two types. Search here for the dozens of threads debating the merits of each...

Then practice, practice, practice...

Hope something there helps.
Docking in current and/or wind is difficult even in a non-jet boat. Practice makes it better, as do the right tools.

First, practice with just you or you and one other person (to help move fenders, grab lines). Don't go out with the boat full and try new things. Recipe for disaster.

Second, master maneuvering away from the dock. Go out to open water and toss a fender out. Pretend it is a swimmer. Go away from it and go 'pick it up'. Approach on the starboard side, don't hit him, and stop at the back deck. Repeat a billion times or so. Try different angles (which will make a difference with wind and current). Then pretend it is a dock. Approach at a 45 degree angle, when you get close, helm to the 'dock' and reverse to slow forward progress and bring the aft end up to the dock.

Third, when docking, put your Bimini down first. That thing is a sail.

Next: Be sure you are using decent fenders and have them strategically placed. I like one on the forward cleat, one on the midships cleat, and one from the handle aft of that cleat. Yep, I don't use the rear cleat often. Once docked the front one is usually useless, but it can be handy if you are coming in. If there is a narrow slip or boat on the other side, fenders over there may be a good idea too. Remember that friend? Before docking, give him a fender to hold. In case something goes sideways, he is to put the fender between your boat and the dock or other boat (not his arm or hands). Prepare fenders and lines in advance. Turn off the radio. That way you are focused on one thing: piloting the boat.

Normal docking is easy because you can come in slowly and flip between forward and neutral to keep speed and steer. Coming in with wind and current can be more challenging because you may need to come in a little bit faster. Not a lot. Just a little. Remember that with no thrust you have no steering.

Consider some fins, too. They help with not only the low speed maneuvering, but also with tracking, keeping the boat where you pointed it. TVs and CJS are the two types. Search here for the dozens of threads debating the merits of each...

Then practice, practice, practice...

Hope something there helps.
@WiskyDan and @tdonoughue .....great advice from Mr.D. I would respectfully add a couple of ideas: 1. I no longer put a fender on the front cleat because I find (like Mr.D) it is useless once you get close to the dock and if you are 45 degrees to the dock and close to need it - you have already - IMO, blown your approach. Soooo - I got a plastic clip and some 1/8 bungee cord. I looped double strands of the bungee cord through the plastic clip (not metal to protect the fiberglass) then through the fender. I clip that to mini stainless steel clip used for my bimini top strap (don't have one buy one and install) THAT gives me a bow fender in almost exactly the correct spot. For the other two fenders I use the standard oem pop-up cleats. Yes, the stern pop-up is low but I cinch the fender right up to the cleat and like it. 2. Find a dock somewhere with an open stretch and practice docking there too. 3. Wind and current can become friends. I remember my grand father telling me to steer (slowly) towards a boat in the same slip (double slip) as mine. The wind was coming from port. I thought he was mad. The wind gently nudged me onto the dock. Of course it is always better to have a companion on the boat with a boat hook to grab a cleat or keep away from the other boat. I also have a boat hook that has a loop of coated cable attached to it - great for snagging a cleat. 4. Put fenders on boat sides of your boat, that way you will have a softer "touch" if you meet the other boat. I have been docking boats up to 40 feet now for 40 years. Anyone who says they have never "kissed" another another boat or the dock is a liar. Just like with a partner, a soft "kiss" is better .....never approach a dock faster than you want to hit it. Any captain entering a marina/ slip/fairway that is not on guard, if not a bit nervous, is IMO dangerous! As Mr. D said practice does make perfect. I learned to dock my big cruisers "Mediterranean Style" - that is stern backed into the slip and yes there was another cruiser already there 80% of the time. Time - Practice - Patience and Reflect on what you could do better. Every time I go out I learn something new. Don't be too hard on yourself, don't let docking diminish your love of getting out onto the water. RELAX and ENJOY......remember - we have ALL been there. Cheers

It is not just jetboats (owners) that have problems sticking the landing. This happened at the Marina last night. Totally screwed the pooch on that docking. Good thing the other slip was empty. There was a dock hand there to help, but he came in way too wide and off angle that they could not throw their short dock lines to her, should have tried tossing a spring line and then the "captain" paniced and lost control of his I/O, low 4-5 kt. winds and no current.

20200814_200846.jpg

They are supposed to be tied at the finger on the left with the guy (owner) holding the stern line. His crew, on board, were useless.

Last edited:
When I launch and recover my bass boat by myself wanted way to keep boat off dock on approaches. I have only used hook in "shortest" form, but great for grabbing a cleat or pole to position me on dock.

Back