• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Docking/Launching Tips

Lth101

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I am going to a public boat ramp in another area this weekend and I am just looking for some tips so I don't jack my boat up. This ramp has long wood pilings up and down each side of ramp instead of just being a flat surface which I'm used to. Should I put my sentry fenders around the pilings? I guess I also have to learn how to tie a loop knot since I also didn't see any cleats on the dock. My launches with me and my wife can be a little funny at times and I am still getting used to having minimal steering at docking speeds.

Acard7

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Honestly the best advice I can give is just go slow, and if you’re not coming into the pilings the way you want just reverse back around and try again. Whenever I’m docking or even picking up the wife, I just work the throttles in forward and reverse detents. When it’s windy I may have to add some throttle to them or throttle to correct if I’m coming in too hot. It just takes some practice getting used to these jet boats, but once you learn it, and go slow, you’ll realize how maneuverable these jets really are. Also, if you don’t own a boat hook pole I’d invest in one!

Dave burke

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Does your boat have the no wake/cruise assist mode button. If so, try putting it in no wake mode 1. That helps me a lot. If it's windy, put it in no wake 2.

Other thing I do (saw this in a YouTube video from Boating or Jet Boat Pilot I think) is approach the dock at an angle (about 30 degrees) and then reverse and turn the wheel hard to starboard when you get close to the dock.

DiggerPA

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
Some advice I received. Steer then Gear. That helped me a lot as well as no wake mode 1.

F.M.

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Y’all forgot the #1 rule. Don’t approach it any faster than you’re willing to hit it.

Bottom Bracket

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Drop your buddy at end of the finger.
Back away, hang out somewhere that you can see the ramp.
When your buddy gets the trailer in the water land the boat.
Boat never touches anything cept the trailer.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
This is the way. I will add that as you approach a dock to pick up or drop someone off, keep momentum very slow and a few feet from the dock put it in reverse neutral. If you time it right you’ll be at a dead stop a few inches off the dock.

Lth101

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I wish I could do that. Unfortunately I'm the only one that can back a trailer lol. Its me, my wife a 2 little kids. A lot of good pointers on here tho.

kgower

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
222SE
Boat Length
Teach her how to back the trailer in a big open parking lot. My wife has learned and probably does it better than many. It saves a lot of time and simplifies things.

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
A couple of things I would add...It is easier to maneuver a boat with two motors than one. You can "split the throttles", one forward and one reverse to help pivot the boat in tight places. Practice. You should always approach a dock against the wind or current, not with a wind or current. So get yourself comfortable with operating in reverse. Again practice. You may need to operate in reverse to go against tides, wind and current around docks. Learn how to use spring lines for getting on and off docks effortlessly. We have been using Docking sticks to catch a cleat or piling for years. You can also use them to spring off a dock against the wind. If you are around pilings mainly, you can buy purpose built fenders for this or set up a Fender board amidship across two fenders. There are all kinds of scenarios thrown at you while docking. Try to practice with nobody around and while calm conditions exist at the dock. Twin throttles and a spring line are your friend. Just don't suck up the spring line. Lastly, for me, others will chime in, maintain steerage. Don't let the boat slow to a speed where the wind and currents overtake the boats intended path.

Last edited:

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Docking considerations that haven't already been mentioned:
  1. Never use a body part to stop the boat from hitting the dock unless you want to deal with a cast through the season.
  2. Patience is key - if the landing is busy, don't get caught up in the pressure and ruin your boat.
  3. Our boats pivot right on center, so be mindful of the rear deck in tight turning situations, it's easy to knock it into something if you're not paying attention.
  4. Don't let your ego prevent you from calling a "go around" and resetting the boat for another attempt.
  5. Consider training your wife to park the boat and trailer / back the boat in, which allows you to simply drop her off and removes a hard docking situation from the equation entirely.
  6. If equipped, don't forget to bring in your wakeboard racks.
  7. Big bumpers are key at crappy docks - don't forget to account for boat-created waves on busy channels when tying up.
  8. Once more - yes people might be judging your attempts, but do your best to forget about them and stay focused on the task at hands. Remember that everyone at the landing has had their failed attempts and mistakes at one time or another.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
#8 is the most important piece of advice. As long. As your doing your best and not doing something like staging in the middle of the ramp, forget everyone else.

KC-AR240

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I wish I could do that. Unfortunately I'm the only one that can back a trailer lol. Its me, my wife a 2 little kids. A lot of good pointers on here tho.
Here's what I did when training my wife to back the trailer down the ramp.....I called her phone(hooked up now to the truck speakers) and I'm out, away from the launch area. She lines up the truck and trailer and I would tell her to turn left, center, turn right, hard left, hard right ... Which ever direction she needed to turn. From anyone else's view point, she backed it like a champ.

AlpharettaRK

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Can your wife drive the trailer straight into a parking space and drive the boat even a little? If so to launch you back the boat to the water's edge, just a few feet from floating. Toss in the kids and yourself. She backs trailer 5', floats the boat and drives and parks. You pick her up. Getting out is trickier. She drops you off and idles just off the dock. You back trailer in and jog over to boat and she goes to truck. Load the boat and she drives you away.
This is how we did it for years. The loading sequence won't make friends at busy boat ramp tho.
Nobody else commented, but to tie up to pilings two half hitches are easy. Why aren't 2 halves just called a hitch? Beats me. I think it is also called a clove hitch.
Cheers