• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Does anyone know what kind of bearing buddy like component MFI uses?

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Huh, mine are Trailer Buddy units too! Interdasting.
I just looked at mine and realized that I have "Trailer Buddies" by UFP also. My guess would be that they're made by the same manufacture as Bearing Buddies" and labeled Trailer Buddies for UFP. But I'm just basing that on the fact that they look identical.

Unreal Yammi

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The metal cover spoken of is part of the original bearing and the rubber boot cover it all to keep water out. I purchased a couple missing rubber covers from the manufacturer as stated in an earlier post.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I ordered one of the Trailer Buddy 1.980 inchers and 4 of the stainless steel caps. I was able to remove the leaking trailer buddy by bashing it side to side with a hammer. Then I placed a board against the new trailer buddy and hammered it into place. I filled it with grease then topped up the other three. I decided to use the stainless caps. I cleaned the boots and put them in a zip lock bag. I will keep them in the boat in case the caps do not work out. I prefer the caps since they allow me to see the grease level by looking at the axles.

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Refreshing thread, last fall at the end of the season, I lost a rubber cap on the right rear trailer buddy, It did feel warmer than the others. I made up a cover with some clean room tape, to keep the sand out, and decided to remedy this spring. A couple of week ago, before our first outing of the season, I greased all four. When we got back I noticed that bearing had given up its grease and the blue "gauge" had receeded into the hub. Any insights? This pic is of hub is after a 15 mi. trip.
20170510_083818.jpg When I greased it looked like this, the wheel in front of it.20170510_083837.jpg

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@zipper, either the grease came out through the bearing buddy or out the back side of the bearing housing. You should be able to see it on the back side if it went that way.

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@Bruce I will check the back side in am, but it looks like it came out through the bearing buddy because the cap I made from clean room tape is full of grease.
20170510_083759.jpg Is there a seal to replace or some other quick fix or is this bearing buddy terminal. It was warmer than others, perhaps a sticking brake caliper?

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I recently read in the monthly boat u.s. Pamphlet that losing a bearing buddy cap and / or having the grease ooze out of the bearing buddy are signs that the bearings underneath are over heating. This is consistent with my losing a cap at the end of last season. This season I found the bearings for that wheel were seized / rusted.

Here are some pics.

IMG_0551.JPG IMG_0553.JPG

There are a lot more brands of bearing buddies than I expected. For the mfi trailers with 14" wheels as long as the diameter on the bearing side is 1.980" it should fit. The rubber cover has a 2.33" diameter.

Last edited:

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I replaced a leaking bearing buddy in 2017. I touch all my hubs to check for heat at each gas stop on the 1,250 mile tow on each way to the Bimini crossing and have never felt more heat in that hub or excessive heat in any of the hubs.

If the bearing buddy is leaking I would replace it. Northern Tool had them for $13 last year but are up to $18 now https://jetboaters.net/threads/stainless-bearing-buddies-for-13.12144/

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

KXCam22

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Aren't you supposed to put the rubber boots over the stainless cap? Thats how my late 2007 mfi has it. You pull off the rubber boot to check grease level and there should be just a bit of blue showing. I have way too many grease guns and greases so i label my hubs with what is inside. Cam.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Aren't you supposed to put the rubber boots over the stainless cap? Thats how my late 2007 mfi has it. You pull off the rubber boot to check grease level and there should be just a bit of blue showing. I have way too many grease guns and greases so i label my hubs with what is inside. Cam.
Interesting question, I am only using the stainless caps and believe them to be an alternative to the rubber boots. I appreciate being able to see the grease level without needing to remove the boots.

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The cap does the same job as the boot (keeps any leaking grease off your wheel and tire). double coverage will not hurt. That end is sealed, so unless it is failing, you would not have a reason for double protection. It will not hurt other than forcing you to remove the boot to see if you have a problem.

I had a rear seal fail on a trip to the lake once and lost most of the grease. With boots on I would not have noticed.

jdonalds

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I lost a bearing grease protector and replaced it with a Bearing Buddy on my 2006 MFI trailer. Sorry I don't know the size.

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@Bruce I purchased a set (2) bearing buddies with caps to replace the failed one and found the heat issue I was experiencing was due to a stuck caliper, ordering replacement.
20170518_181215.jpg

Edit: WOW never liked the bummer dude rating much, but that is what I get for posting bad news.

Last edited: