• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Does anyone tow their 24 footer with a Grand Cherokee? (or other vehicle rated near 6200 pounds?)

R00st

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
We have a 2015 jeep grand cherokee 4x4 with the v6 and it is rated for 6200 pounds with the optional towing package we have installed. We live only three miles from the boat launch on the river that we will most frequently use, and will be towing to and from the river each time we boat (no slip, for now anyway).

The dry weight on the trailer for an AR240 looks to be right at 5k pounds. I am going to assume that there are 100 pounds of oil/coolant, 400 pounds of fuel, and 300 pounds of gear, for a total of 5800 pounds wet (sound about right?). This is within 400 pounds of the vehicles tow rating which concerns me BUT I also feel better knowing 90% of its use will be three miles (six miles round trip) to and from home. The jeep is less than a year old and has a powertrain warranty for quite some time. We typically dont keep cars much beyond their warranty period.

Another concern is that my shop has a fairly steep gravel drive going up to it, so this would definitely require me to keep her in first gear in 4x4 low to navigate her into the shop. I currently drive a mustang gt (I clearly wear the pants, being able to keep the fun car with a family at home! haha) and would consider getting a truck but would rather not force myself to do that, being that I drive 80 miles round trip to work each day, and would have to sell the mustang to do so.

Thoughts?

captras

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I towed a 21 foot Four Winns and it with trailer was over 5000 lbs. I used a Jeep Cheokee with an inline six. Short distances, and fairly level terrain it did fine. On a trip to the hill country in Texas, she definitely strained......temp rose, but stayed below red line, and she was in a low gear all the time. I would say, based on your description, as long as you are below your max towing weight, and your trips are short and not over hilly terrain, you will be fine. If you are going to do any long trips over country with any kind of relief, you should get a 1/2 ton truck at least. Just my opinion! Good luck!

motorboater

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I towed my 240 all over for a few years with my X5 which I believe was rated for 6500lbs. No issues with that at all. Your Jeep should handle it, certainly for the short distances you are planning. Longer trips, not sure.. you'll want to get a feel for the braking and suspension performance with the 240 in tow. I also think your 5800 lbs estimate is plenty high.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have a 2012 1/2 ton ram rated at 8600 lbs and my wife has a 2015 Durango R/T rated at 7200 lbs. Both are 5.7l V8. I tow the 242 with the Ram but did give the Durango a try once. Both did the job but I felt more secure using the truck. The shallow angle ramp at our closest lake caused the water to get close to the rear hatch seal on the Durango.

For three mile trips with only a driver and a passenger you will be fine as long as you don't have a monster hill along that route. Don't forget the tow/haul button and maybe even 4wd when pulling back off the ramp.

Loading up the Cherokee with people and the boat with supplies for the day with a full tank of fuel in the boat could get iffy and long hauls may be a struggle but you are within your limits as long as you add up all added weight including fuel, passengers, and supplies. Good tires will help as well.

There is even someone who made it hundreds of miles using a 5k lb rated vehicle towing a 242 but I don't recommend that.

PS Jealous of the sports car. That is a few years away for me as I still have kids in the house. Of course my commute is by foot without leaving the front door ;)

AZDANSX230HO

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Just because it fits barely in the limits does not mean it's safe, think having to stop quickly to avoid an accident, etc. I prefer my tow vehicle to weigh more than the boat, have more than ample towing capacity, and a braking system that can bring it all to a halt quickly if needed. Will you be fine on the short trip, probably, just leave plenty of space between you and cars ahead of you to be on the safe side.

TechRider

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Regal
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I had a Highlander rated at about the same. I traded it in for a truck but I am towing a lot. Having the family safe was a priority for me as I would be towing on the highway and on steep hills and braking in a emergency or high wind situation would be a problem.

If I was going 3 miles each way on low speed local roads I would keep the jeep.

rsg1963

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Currently use our 2016 GC as the main TV and it's completely within safe limits both on paper and by 'feel'. However, our GC is rated at 7200 pounds (Diesel and 4x4 specs)
The braking system is far beyond anything needed for this boat and trailer setup regardless of what you throw in the boat. The power is the same situation. Pulls it without issue. The ONLY time I've modified driving while towing was during very strong cross winds, but to be honest I'd modify even if I was in the dually.
I'd keep the GC, drive conservatively and enjoy.

zelone

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I tow my 242 with a 13 Durango V6, with tow package. While it feels a bit underpowered, it doesn't feel unsafe in any way. I used to tow more often, but now I have a slip, and a boat lift, so only tow when I need to pull the boat. I'm sure the Jeep is safe for what you are doing.

R00st

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks for all the replies everyone. I am a very cautious driver as is, even more so when towing, so I dont think it will be an issue.

dtcbnd03

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Bumping this thread. Trying to figure out if I really need a v8 vehicle.

I Just bought a Limited SE and need a new tow vehicle. I live in Chicago so need something for city use and occasional towing. Focusing on a Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited with v6 that tows up to 6200 lbs. The Limited v8 that tows 7200 lbs is available but at a $7k premium. Trucks are out. And a Tahoe would be awesome but those are an extra $25k and tougher to drive/park in the city. Anyone been towing for years with a v6 with no issues?

Most of the time the boat will be either slipped in Chicago or taken up to Wisconsin lakes 100-200 miles away. Once a year I will be taking it out to the finger lakes in upstate New York 700 miles away but for that trip I figure I'll tow it with minimal gas / gear in the boat itself so figure 5500 lbs max.

Don Shifflett

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I tow an AR240 with a 2018 Honda Ridgeline. They are conservatively rated at 5000 lbs. Tow it on vacation in Pennsylvania 3.5 hours away with a number of hills. You won't have a problem.

Don Shifflett

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
BTW, before that, I towed with a 2009 Honda Ridgeline.

Gump1976

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
I thought I was pushing the limits with my Tacoma when I first purchased but after reassurance from my salesman and then seeing what’s pulling what where I launch, I think I was overly concerned. I’m rated at ~6500lbs but I see suvs I know are rated no more then 5000 pulling 232/240 series Yamahas. Wouldn’t want to go long distance in my case but I take it 3 miles to and from the ramp on 25/35 mph roads with 4 of us in the truck no problem.
84E00713-20C7-4C04-AF37-7D037A5C5764.jpeg

TimW451

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It’s more funny than helpful...

Lawman25

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
We have a 2015 jeep grand cherokee 4x4 with the v6 and it is rated for 6200 pounds with the optional towing package we have installed. We live only three miles from the boat launch on the river that we will most frequently use, and will be towing to and from the river each time we boat (no slip, for now anyway).

The dry weight on the trailer for an AR240 looks to be right at 5k pounds. I am going to assume that there are 100 pounds of oil/coolant, 400 pounds of fuel, and 300 pounds of gear, for a total of 5800 pounds wet (sound about right?). This is within 400 pounds of the vehicles tow rating which concerns me BUT I also feel better knowing 90% of its use will be three miles (six miles round trip) to and from home. The jeep is less than a year old and has a powertrain warranty for quite some time. We typically dont keep cars much beyond their warranty period.

Another concern is that my shop has a fairly steep gravel drive going up to it, so this would definitely require me to keep her in first gear in 4x4 low to navigate her into the shop. I currently drive a mustang gt (I clearly wear the pants, being able to keep the fun car with a family at home! haha) and would consider getting a truck but would rather not force myself to do that, being that I drive 80 miles round trip to work each day, and would have to sell the mustang to do so.

Thoughts?
I tow my 230 with an 2013 Grand Cherokee with no problems, I also have the Hemi and a higher towing capacity. I recently had a transmission issue so I learned a lot about it. If your drive to the local launch is only 3 miles you'll be fine, it's not a long enough drive for your trans fluid to even get up to normal temperature let alone overheat. I don't know what trim level you have, I have the Summit and I can monitor the trans fluid temp, I'm not sure if that's available on all trim levels. Also, I think you were generous on some of your weight estimates. I have a 50 gallon fuel tank and a gallon of fuel is 6 pound so 300 pounds of fuel when full, and we have nowhere near 100 pounds of oil and our engines are water cooled no coolant. Long story short, you're probably not as close to your weight limit as you think and for as short of a drive as you're making, you should be just fine.

rsg1963

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Bumping this thread. Trying to figure out if I really need a v8 vehicle.

I Just bought a Limited SE and need a new tow vehicle. I live in Chicago so need something for city use and occasional towing. Focusing on a Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited with v6 that tows up to 6200 lbs. The Limited v8 that tows 7200 lbs is available but at a $7k premium. Trucks are out. And a Tahoe would be awesome but those are an extra $25k and tougher to drive/park in the city. Anyone been towing for years with a v6 with no issues?

Most of the time the boat will be either slipped in Chicago or taken up to Wisconsin lakes 100-200 miles away. Once a year I will be taking it out to the finger lakes in upstate New York 700 miles away but for that trip I figure I'll tow it with minimal gas / gear in the boat itself so figure 5500 lbs max.
I think you'll be fine just don't expect to launch onto the freeways. Otherwise no problem. We towed our AR240, fully loaded with our Overland 2016 GC and there were no issues at all, especially once I dialed-in the brake controller.

Markwest

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
I tow with a 2014 Grand Cherokee overland rear wheel drive with the V8. No issue with paved ramps in Florida. I have towed 4 hours to the Keys with no issue at highway speed.

I was originally worried that I would have lots of slippage at the ramp and need a new vehicle. All is well no slippage with boat loaded lots of weight on tongue. Lots of torque to pull me out. I am sure at some point I will find a ramp that gets me in trouble but not yet!

Quad

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I tow an AR240 with a 2018 Honda Ridgeline. They are conservatively rated at 5000 lbs. Tow it on vacation in Pennsylvania 3.5 hours away with a number of hills. You won't have a problem.
Interesting perspective Don. I've presently got an Acura MDX that has a similar tow rating (5000lbs) and so far I've been unwilling to try towing with it (our dealer has launched and hauled for us, but I've just towed the empty trailer home for storage) though I've been tempted. That said, our non-AWD car is due for replacement and we'd been considering the Ridgeline, but don't want a truck that's incapable of towing the boat. What's been your longest tow/how full was the truck and boat?