• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Does anyone use Cruise Assist instead of Perfect Pass to wakeboard?

mike serement

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Unfortunately PP has not yet been tested in a 2015 242 according to JBP. Makes me a bit nervous as I had PP in my 2009 212ss. Anyone use the cruise assist to wakeboard / ski? How do you like it?

I'm not an expert on PP, but does it hold the boat at a predetermined speed where cruise assist only hold the engine revolutions, so any turn/deviation in the boat will lower the speed.

^^^^^ Yes

I tried using cruise assist for wake boarding and other water sports, it does not work at all unless the rider never carves out of the wake. Any additional resistance will not impact RPMs as much as speed and therefore you find yourself overcompensating and then it is even worse than just using the throttles themselves.

Perfect pass is the only way to go. Hopefully they come out with one for 2015s soon.

We use CA all the time for wakeboarding. Works so good for us I see no reason to spend $1200 on a new system. Of course PP is better, and I'd welcome GPS based speed hold as standard equipment. You just have to use small inputs. Dont chase the needle so to speak. Easy to get used to.

Yep we use it all the time. Although you have to adjust constantly but its good for small adjustments.

I would think that using one of your throttles would be the go-to for small adjustments over using cruise assist. It also depends on what/who you're pulling - heavy person wakeboarding carving hard will really drop your velocity. Maybe it's just me being sensitive but I don't think cruise assist is all that effective. BUT if it works for you, then you can avoid the 1200$ purchase and 4-5 hour install :-)

Its definitely trickier to maintain speed for a heavier and/or more skilled boarder. It doesn't seem to make a difference how much ballast we have in the boat. I usually run one engine about 800-1000 RPM over the other which seems to make it easier to find the sweet spot. I can commonly make an entire pass without more than a couple bumps of the CA if I can maintain a straight line for the full pass.

So ya, there are are few hours of messing with it to get used to it, whereas with PP you just set and forget which would be very nice have.

I have no issue using cruise assist for pulling wake boarders, but I bought PP FOR ME! My wife doesn't drive a whole lot (she enjoys riding in the bow), this was so I could wakeboard/surf and keep my marriage.

Yes, I use it. Is it perfect pass? No where close. That said, over time I am quite happy the way it works for me. Just have to get use to tapping the button. I find that I Tap the button up or down several times to get it settled in, than periodic taps. on turns just tap in advance to increase what you might lose by turning. Takes a little practice, but works.

Last edited:
I tried it on @Boat Crazy boat, didn't really work for me but I guess like everyone else says practice makes perfect......Pass that is. :D

Same for me, I use the CA with no issues at all. Yes, in a turn it impacts the speed a bit but its so easy to just anticipate it with a click or two. As for hard carving its almost negligible for speed loss. I'm the heaviest out of my family at 220lbs so I probably impact the speed while being pulled more then a 100 lb person. I can tell a bit when I'm on the rope but my son does a great job with compensating same way i do. PP would be nice but no way worth the $ (IMO) when CA works so well.

It's no PP, but I use cruise assist when my kids wakeboard. Like others have said - it took some practice, but I got it figured out. I use 1 throttle to make minor adjustments. CA is not needed when they surf, seeing as we're only doing 10mph.
If my wife had any interest in driving, then PP would be a must.

Back