• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

How does Cruise Assist work?

Gonzalo

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hi guys!

I am having a hard time understanding how Cruise Assist is supposed to work. The manual does not say much, and a search in the forums show that some people are using it, but not much explanation on what it technically does.
I've been trying to use it and figure out what it does, but it seems to me that it's doing nothing at all:

1) Say, for example, I engage CA at 5000 RPM. "Cruise +1" appears on the screen. Then the throttle starts slipping down (I have the throttle slip issue) , but CA does not maintain RPM and speed as (I guess) it should. As soon as I lift my hand from the throttle the boats starts slowing down, even though "Cruise +1" is still shown on the display. So it seems CA is doing nothing at all.

2) If I engage CA and then I pull the throttle levers up, it does not maintain RPM either (like Ridesteady works) . The boat will accelerate, so again it looks that CA is not doing anything at all.

3) If I did not have the slipping throttle problem... then why would I need CA anyway? I would just put the levers where I want them, and they would maintain the RPMs on itself.

Some people here seems to use it, but I am totally confused. Anybody can provide a bit more detailed explanation of what Cruise Assist is supposed to do, or what I'm doing wrong?

Thank you very much
Gonzalo

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Hi guys!

I am having a hard time understanding how Cruise Assist is supposed to work. The manual does not say much, and a search in the forums show that some people are using it, but not much explanation on what it technically does.
I've been trying to use it and figure out what it does, but it seems to me that it's doing nothing at all:

1) Say, for example, I engage CA at 5000 RPM. "Cruise +1" appears on the screen. Then the throttle starts slipping down (I have the throttle slip issue) , but CA does not maintain RPM and speed as (I guess) it should. As soon as I lift my hand from the throttle the boats starts slowing down, even though "Cruise +1" is still shown on the display. So it seems CA is doing nothing at all.

2) If I engage CA and then I pull the throttle levers up, it does not maintain RPM either (like Ridesteady works) . The boat will accelerate, so again it looks that CA is not doing anything at all.

3) If I did not have the slipping throttle problem... then why would I need CA anyway? I would just put the levers where I want them, and they would maintain the RPMs on itself.

Some people here seems to use it, but I am totally confused. Anybody can provide a bit more detailed explanation of what Cruise Assist is supposed to do, or what I'm doing wrong?

Thank you very much
Gonzalo

Firstly you need to tighten the friction adjustment screws to eliminate the slipping issue, whether you are using CA or not.

The manual throttles will always override the CA device as they should. The CA has a range of -8 to + 8 which gives a pretty wide range of rpms in I believe 100-150 rpm Increments.

Why would you need CA? For me, it allows me to get the throttles synched and set then just use the CA rocker to select different speeds, this is especially helpful in choppy conditions to allow for smooth rpm / speed changes without any large throttle changes caused by the boat bouncing.

I use CA all the time. I set and synch my engines typically around 6500 rpms after getting on plane, then can adjust the throttles to adapt to changing water conditions or to fine tune gph usage for best cruise. I’ve also use it when towing people on tubes, again to avoid any large rpm changes, and to tune the speed the rider wants via the thumbs up and thumbs down hand signals. Once the desired speed is set I can use CA to increase power while making tight turns and such to increase the fun factor of those riding the tubes and then return to the desired speed when straightening out again.

I even use CA when “sport boating”, driving the boat hard through turns/ slaloms following a shore line etc.

While slightly different, the no wake function of the same button allowed me to have just the right speed in the TDE position for negotiating tight canyons at Lake Powell on my recent trip there.

Gonzalo

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thank you very much.

(Yes I know I have to adjust the screws. Already did but they keep slipping. Especially the port side one :-(

If you really need the throttle levers to be still in place, or if you move them the boat will change the speed.... then it means that CA is not like the "cruise control" on a car. My expectation was that CA would be similar to the cruise control of a car. The whole idea of cruise control is that you can take the foot off the accelerator and it will maintain speed.

So... If you need the throttle levers in place, then I think that CA is more like a "fine adjust" for the RPMs ( a bit up or down) , but not like a cruise control. Am I right? Probably they should have chosen a better name....

Thank you!
Gonzalo

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

That's exactly it, it's not like a car, maintaining speeds, it maintains RPM's. These boats do not have a GPS cruise like Perfect pass etc.

Unless things have changed greatly, you need to fix the throttle drop issue first. As noted, it will shut off CA as soon as it slips. And adjusting the friction screw is the wrong way to fix it. "search throttle drop fix"

Once fixed, you would never touch the throttles once you engage CA. As anytime you do, it will disengage it. You put your throttles in the vicinity of the RPM you want, and then engage cruise assist. or No wake mode when using it at slow speeds

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Thank you very much.

(Yes I know I have to adjust the screws. Already did but they keep slipping. Especially the port side one :-(

If you really need the throttle levers to be still in place, or if you move them the boat will change the speed.... then it means that CA is not like the "cruise control" on a car. My expectation was that CA would be similar to the cruise control of a car. The whole idea of cruise control is that you can take the foot off the accelerator and it will maintain speed.

So... If you need the throttle levers in place, then I think that CA is more like a "fine adjust" for the RPMs ( a bit up or down) , but not like a cruise control. Am I right? Probably they should have chosen a better name....

Thank you!
Gonzalo
I suppose that is why it is called cruise “assist” and not “control”

Is your port throttle slipping back, or is it just the little bit of slop in the remote control until it holds? That is what mine does now, there are some threads talking about how to reduce this slop in the remote control / throttle, I’ll have a more intense look at it this winter.

Gonzalo

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thank you both. I did find out the proper fix to the throttle slip. I'm only waiting to have some time to do it , and a friend to help me :)

My expectation was that CA would maintain RPM even if the throttles are moved a certain amount up or down. I see now that this is not the case. That's why I think it's more of a "fine adjust" than a cruise control.
I do use No Wake all the time, and it is great. The difference is that at the TDE position the throttle locks in place, so it cannot move.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Cruise assist allows you to set the throttles at one position (RPM) and use buttons to move the RPMs up or down from that set level. It isn't cruise control, it is simply a fine adjustments of RPM. If the throttles move - it cancels any changes you've made (throttles always win).

E-Series boats have Cruise "control" - GPS Speed control that will maintain a set speed. (and they have cruise assist). Throttles don't always win with E-Series speed controls - throttling BELOW your set speed will disengage the system.....throttling up from your set speed will do nothing (it will still hold the set speed until you hit cancel).

Gonzalo

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Cruise assist allows you to set the throttles at one position (RPM) and use buttons to move the RPMs up or down from that set level. It isn't cruise control, it is simply a fine adjustments of RPM. If the throttles move - it cancels any changes you've made (throttles always win).
Thanks. Yes, I understand now. It's a fine adjust. That's the best way to see it. My expectations were wrong from the beginning.

E-Series boats have Cruise "control" - GPS Speed control that will maintain a set speed. (and they have cruise assist). Throttles don't always win with E-Series speed controls - throttling BELOW your set speed will disengage the system.....throttling up from your set speed will do nothing (it will still hold the set speed until you hit cancel).
Right! I was hoping that CA did something like that, but only with RPMs. I know my boat does not have GPS.
Anyway, I've been reading about Ridesteady and it works exactly like you describe. I don't think I'm going to buy a new boat anytime soon, but I may buy a Ridesteady!

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
As mentioned, Cruise Assist is not fully electronic, so the position of the throttles affects C/A, which simply tells the throttle body to open a mm for more rpm. Note that C/A won't activate until the throttles are pushed past full forward position and above 3000rpm. As soon as the throttles fall back below 3,000rpm it cancels automatically - kind of like pressing the brakes in your car for safety reasons.

I have the throttle drop issue too - however mine only drops in the 5-6.5k range, so if I'm going faster it doesn't drop, and if I just want to cruise around, I set it at 5k where it drops to 4.9k and then I use C/A to up the rpm level. I believe it's about 180rpm per click on my boat so I can cruise at 4.9k and click up to about 6k or so which gives me from 22mph to 35mph. Any faster and I want my hands on the throttles anyway for the idiots on a jet-ski in the middle of the navigation channel.
😊