• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Dog vs Upholstery

MakeItSo

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
We have a new Yamaha 195S, and a 50lb dog. I'm apprehensive to take him out on the boat. I'm concerned about his claws slashing the upholstery. I'm sure you guys can tell me if this is a legitimate concern, or if I've got nothing to worry about? How durable are these cushions?

We have a new Yamaha 195S, and a 50lb dog. I'm apprehensive to take him out on the boat. I'm concerned about his claws slashing the upholstery. I'm sure you guys can tell me if this is a legitimate concern, or if I've got nothing to worry about? How durable are these cushions?
I personally would be a little concerned. I'm a perfectionist. I have CDO. I'm a mess. Rule number one is don't forget the drain plug and then have fun, so have mans best friend out there with you. Put booties on if you want to prolong the life and look of the vinyl.

We have a 70 lb lab. No issues with seats but he’s pretty well trained, and we avoid him getting on seats. When we’re anchored with engine off the swim platform is where he sleeps (when he’s not out swimming/exploring). The biggest issues we’ve found is his hair on the boat, but we knew that going in. I recommend brushing before every outing.

This is my 95lbs American Bully. I would rather buy a sell my boat than leave him behind, he is so ocd he would never break anything and behave better than most kids. Take your dog to the groomer and make sure thosr nails are rounded. I have own 3 yamaha boats and you would never guessed there was a dog on the boat.

20210206_150449.jpg20210515_181147.jpg20210515_143623.jpg

I have 2 80lbs mutts. If there nails are short and rounded no problem. Long and sharp they are making holes if they hop up or down with much force from/to the seats. Not many issues since they learned to stay on the floor and we removed the pass through pad.

Never had a problem. I used to be concerned. Put towels on the seats and everything. Not needed. They’re family so they do what they want.

Attachments

• A1391E9C-1726-4497-9D5C-9F664674A1A6.jpeg
    A1391E9C-1726-4497-9D5C-9F664674A1A6.jpeg
    433.7 KB · Views: 33
I've got a 52lb lab mix. We aren't nearly as diligent on trimming her nails as we should be.

No issues on tearing the vinyl at this point, and she's out with us maybe 7-10 times a year.

1625747903757.png

I have a 90 lb German Shepard and a 70lb Hound mix. The vinyl seats are pretty durable. My new sea dek on the other hand is not nearly as durable. The swim platform is all scratched up and even gouged in a few places...But I still take them almost everytime. Its a boat, its meant to be used. Don't get me wrong, I clean the hell out of it everytime we come back and I'm always washing and spraying hot sauce products all over it. Just enjoy your boat time with the people and furry children you love. It'll all sort is self out in the end.

I second what most people have said, no issues on my vinyl so far with my 70 lb and 80 lb golden retrievers or my friends' blue heeler. I do try to keep the vinyl conditioned so it stays soft and pliable and doesn't get brittle. I also keep their nails short. They do mark up the sea dek on the swim platform. My biggest problem with them is hot spots on my one golden after swimming, he needs to be blow dried immediately when we get home

Attachments

• FullSizeR_20210522_142851.jpg
    FullSizeR_20210522_142851.jpg
    504.1 KB · Views: 25
The first trip to the boat for the dogs this season. We just throw a towel over the Sunbrella Horizon cushions.

6FB73C3C-1F44-4C59-9706-BC4EF949C91B.jpeg

Checking out the new V berth filler cushion.

A41256CF-79B7-42D7-8924-00C428DD9C6E.jpeg

Last edited:
75lb. GSP. Never a problem with the seats, but he does a number on the hydro-turf on my swim platform.
It looks like someone's been peppering it with birdshot! ?

Eh' no worries cuz'. I have a pitbull and she goes out almost every time no damage. HOWEVER do not let a cat near your boat. Some feral cats found their way into my boat through the boat cover and used a few of my cushions for their personal claw toys. Grrrrrr!

Back