• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Done

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Have you tried turning the key? I’d try turning the key.

sounds like you did everything right. The engines were fogged and Fuel treated. Star TRON says their fuel treatment is good for two years... I’d try turning that key after charging the batteries.

:Welcome:

Dave burke

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
First of all, welcome to the forum. Very happy you’re able to use your boat again.

I would start but searching this forum, in particular the FAQs as there’s lots of information and checklists about storage and removing from storage. Your boat looks in great shape so it’s really just the mechanicals you need to focus on.

The beauty of jet boats is the mechanics are pretty simple and you did some things preparing for winter that aren’t always done (eg changing the plugs).

If I were you, I’d start by charging the batteries and changing the oil and filter and then see if you can start one engine. If so, move on to the next one. You may have to drain the fuel tank but if you added stabilizer, it might still be good.

I had an old chaparral that I didn’t use for two years when I bought my Yamaha and put it back in the water last year. Fuel was still good.

Best of luck to you.

props2you

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
If your list of maintenance items is accurate, and it ran fine prior to storage, charge (maybe replace depending) put the boat in the water, turn the key and go, in all seriousness!

If it's been stored inside, out of the elements for 2 years, give it a good eyeball once over for any loose hoses or oddities, if all looks good get it in the water and run the old fuel out and add fresh and enjoy it! If you put the correct amount of seafoam in there, I wouldn't worry about draining it.

When you're on the water, look and listen if anything seems out-of-sorts, you'll know fast if something is.

Welcome to the forum, and welcome back to boating!

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That's my boat, but it's not in Utah. The boat is in California. I had put it up for sale at one point. Perhaps this is from that? See tags and license plate below.

I'm not looking to sell it. Just want to get it back in the water.

View attachment 125108

View attachment 125109
Ok. Good luck.

It seems like the side image from your boat are floating around the internet in North Carolina, Alabama, etc. Not sure you can do anything about it, but FYI it is the 12th pic (side view) with the three yellow posts off the starboard bow.

dan144k

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
your boat should be ready to run. you did a lot of smart things when you put it in storage. And sitting for 2 years is not that long in my opinion. People frequently have cars sit for 5 or 10 years. and they just put a battery in it and go.

Smelling the fuel will tell you alot.

If you decide to do minimum,
1. smell the fuel tank,
NOTE: Being that you dry dock it, you probably filled with marine type zero ethanol fuel (guessing) (this is Great for you)
1a. if fuel smells bad, varnish bad smell (MUST change fuel) varnish can ruin and adhere to motor and fuel injection parts.
1b. If it smells like gas, it should be good.
1c. If fuel used with Ethanol, it is Easy to open hatch and pull fuel sending unit, look inside tank at the gas for sludge, or white ethanol separation.

2. Check batteries
2a. probably will need new batteries. could always replace 1 of them to get things going
3. Pull the dead mans cord, FYI: this will crank the engine with no spark and no fuel.
3a. You can pull the spark plugs if you want to be extra cautious
3ab. Spray fogging oil in each cylinder, or a few drops of motor oil cant hurt.
3ac. If you pull the spark plugs you can turn the motor by hand easily (this would verify impellers not binding)
3b. Crank the engines for 30 seconds to circulate oil and build up oil pressure.

4. Start the engines. let them idle for a few minutes
5. take it for a long ride to burn up some fuel.
(if you worried about problems, make sure you have towing insurance and are on a body of water where it available)
( or have a friend with a boat or waverunner follow you around for a few hours)
6. just Enjoy, start adding fresh fuel when you can.

If I was buying a boat in this condition. I personally would just run it. And Enjoy it.
Update you location in your profile, if you near anyone and end up needing help.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I may as well jump in with an agreement with what was stated above. I'm too cheap to throw away 50 gallons of gas. If topped off, condensation will be minimum. And if there is no ethanol, phase separation will be there, but minimized.

Treat it with some iso just in case. This breaks down any water molecules to a level that will run through the fuel system without damage. Charge those batteries and fire it up. Then as quickly as you can, burn that fuel up and get rid of all that pent up boating aggression. Top with fresh fuel and do it all over again. Be ready for new batteries possibly, and fluid change as needed.

If there is some bad gas, spark plugs may foul. So just listen for any missing at speed. Get out and enjoy that boat!

Inthrustwetrust

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Trailer stored outside? Tires/bearings might be bad.

I’d give all the steering and throttle cables a real good spray of lube and make sure everything is good and not binding.

Agree with others on the gas, if it smells good throw some treatment in there and run it. If not drain, check the tank, might need to replace sending unit and fuel lines.

Might want to change the spark plugs. Can’t hurt. If nothing else just check them and put them back in, keep them from seizing up and being stuck in there.

Ya new batteries. I would check the gas and see if she fires up. Boat looks clean and well maintained.

Other tip, pull the clean out plugs after every outing if not wet slipped. Will keep them from expanding and getting stuck.

Glad your able to enjoy the water again!

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thank you for all the advice. Here I was... gearing up for some major maintenance before I even started it. I'm going to swap the batteries out with new ones. The service manual says "Marine Grade Group 24 Dual Purpose 675 Marine Cranking Amp" but that was one battery, and I had that swapped with these two. When I get to the boat, I'll try to figure out the type and cranking amps (I think 690 each).

I'll check the gas smell as well. What additive do you suggest before starting?

I'll pull the plugs. They are brand new 2 years ago. It hasn't been in the water, but don't want them to get stuck so I'll pull them if not just to have a spare.

I did find this Maintenance Interval Chart from the Service Manual.

View attachment 125128

View attachment 125124

View attachment 125126
Seafoam is a good choice for the gas tank.

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Stabilized fuel is good for two years. Grab a jump pack, jump the batteries and go for a spin, change the oil when you get back (and probably replace the batteries).

Just what I'd do, lol.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Count me as another vote for go run that puppy!

(and welcome to the forum! Glad you made it through and joined us!)

captainhook

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Another vote to just run it. My boat sat longer than that before buying from the previous owner and I would bet good money he didn’t do any of what you did. Just throw it in the water and have some fun. All I would expect is maybe some new batteries but two years is not long to leave a boat sit.

Looper7

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Welcome and count me in on fire it up and celebrate being healthy enough to enjoy that beautiful boat and life

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
We are looking forward to a positive (some what) maiden voyage, @BigRay242

jmargo

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Glad it worked out.
I would love a copy of the service manual.

jtmargo74 at gmail...

Thanks

bthessel

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That's my boat, but it's not in Utah. The boat is in California. I had put it up for sale at one point. Perhaps this is from that? See tags and license plate below.

I'm not looking to sell it. Just want to get it back in the water.

View attachment 125108

View attachment 125109
FYI your boat pics have been used by scammers on Craiglist for about the last 6 months or more. I have seen it listed in Cincinnati, Detroit, Columbus and other cities.

Looper7

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Congrats on your boating revival enjoy your return to the water

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
FYI your boat pics have been used by scammers on Craiglist for about the last 6 months or more. I have seen it listed in Cincinnati, Detroit, Columbus and other cities.
Hmmm... Maybe it was not sitting for as long as he thought. Bet they put some hours on it getting it around to all of those places! (hehehehehe)

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
There are a lot of reasons you should religiously drain your fuel tank from time to time. To cut costs, you can do it yourself effectively. This procedure will reduce your costs on professional fees and cut the budget on repairs if your fuel tank is at risk for potential damage.
Can you share some of the rationale and thoughts describing the benefits?