• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Done

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Understand if I knew that water was put in the tank or the boat sunk but & how do you recommend draining the fuel tank in the boat? Wouldn't it just be easier to run some Heet in your fuel to take care of any condensation or possible small amount of water in the tank?

Attachments

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Understand if I knew that water was put in the tank or the boat sunk but & how do you recommend draining the fuel tank in the boat? Wouldn't it just be easier to run some Heet in your fuel to take care of any condensation or possible small amount of water in the tank?
So back in the day there was a company named McKay. They had among other things “fuel system water remover” it was a pint bottle of ethanol. Water bonds instantly with alcohol, that‘s why you see the indy car teams throwing buckets of water when there is a suspected fire as the cars now run on ethanol, they switched over to ethanol from methanol around 2007. I believe the indy cars switched to methanol around the time of the Arab oil embargo during the early 1970’s since people were having to go without gasoline. The switch to ethanol was a result of corn politics.

Unless one was to remove the fuel tank from a boat and tip it on edge, simply siphoning out the fuel will leave water flowing around on the bottom of the tank. The sure way to remove any water from the tank is with a fuel system water remover such as HEET. According to HEET’s web site it uses isopropanol (alcohol) to allow water to bond and then it can be held in suspension until it is burned in the fuel system. I agree with @Babin Farms that unless one knows a significan’t amount of water was put into a fuel tank the easiest way to remove water from a fuel tank either as a fix or as a preventative measure, an additive like HEET is the best course of action.