• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Don't try to catch a drifting boat.

Wayloncle

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I don't know how often this happens but I've lived here for a year and I've heard about 3 people in this area trying to swim after their boats and were unsuccessful.

One guy lived to tell his story, he and his wife anchored near the beach and started walking, when he looked back the boat was getting farther and farther away. The anchor line wasn't secured to the boat. So he started swimming after it, when he finally realized he wasn't catching it he barely made it back to shore. They were on Shell Island so they were able to walk about 5 miles and find someone. (It wasn't during the busier season)

This last weekend a guy died trying to swim after his pontoon boat after it drifted away from shore, he was on Lake Powell near PCB.

Make sure your anchors are tied to the boat and always take a phone/PFD or something with you if you leave the boat!

That's great advice. In any kind of wind, the boat's higher profile will almost always cause it to drift faster than a person in the same water. Often, it will drift faster than that person can swim.

Thanks for the reminder!

damn....never thought of that but makes sense. I guess if the wind or current is strong enough to pull/push a boat with an anchor down there would be no way to catch it......thanks for info

It reminds me of another group of people early this year "anchored" off shore a little ways to snorkel/dive. Everyone got in the water and in no time the boat drifted off. I'm not sure if they just didn't set the anchor or if, like the other one, the end of the line wasn't connected to the boat. Those people treaded water for 14 hours (if I remember correctly) before being found a few miles off shore. Luckily they were all in great shape and they all made it, 2 of those guys were stationed here at the AF base.

I don't know how often this happens but I've lived here for a year and I've heard about 3 people in this area trying to swim after their boats and were unsuccessful.

One guy lived to tell his story, he and his wife anchored near the beach and started walking, when he looked back the boat was getting farther and farther away. The anchor line wasn't secured to the boat. So he started swimming after it, when he finally realized he wasn't catching it he barely made it back to shore. They were on Shell Island so they were able to walk about 5 miles and find someone. (It wasn't during the busier season)

This last weekend a guy died trying to swim after his pontoon boat after it drifted away from shore, he was on Lake Powell near PCB.

Make sure your anchors are tied to the boat and always take a phone/PFD or something with you if you leave the boat!

I agree...I can't wrap my head around the guy at lake powell dying....Things happen fast, be careful folks.

Something similar to be aware of.
If you ride p w c's alone on a rough or windy day.
In the event that you fall off or get thrown off the wind can easily carry the ski away faster than you can swim.
Happened to me once, not a good feeling even with a life jacket on!

excellent advise, often times emotion overtakes common sense and thats when bad things happen.

In the event that you fall off or get thrown off the wind can easily carry the ski away faster than you can swim.
Weekend before last my 7 year old and I went out into the gulf which was pretty rough, I saw a ski floating alone with no one on it, that is an eerie site especially around here when they are usually in packs of about 10 or more. I started over to it keeping an eye out for someone in the water, as I got close an older lady was trying to climb back up on it.
As I got close enough to ask if she was ok another ski came over and talked to her. At least a majority of jetski people have PFDs on.

That's what Duct Tape is for!!

Back