• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Dropped my boat at the glass shop over the weekend

McMark

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Trust but verify is a good motto. lol :thumbsup:

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@ClemsonTiger theyre referring to the transom U-bolts for the trailer tie downs.

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Just in case anyone is interested, the original owner of my boat reinforced these when he moved to the keys and used to store the boat up on davits. Here is a picture of the reinforcing plate.

transomreinforce.jpg

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just in case anyone is interested, the original owner of my boat reinforced these when he moved to the keys and used to store the boat up on davits. Here is a picture of the reinforcing plate.

View attachment 42351
Very smart!

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Trust but verify is a good motto. lol :thumbsup:
@McMark I'm just baffled with how Yamaha does certain things, it's hard to believe!
After all these u-bolts/tie down hooks are supposed to be your strongest option for towing objects (like large tubes or disabled boats)...
WTF...?

McMark

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I wouldn't tow a rubber raft with them. Lol

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
On that note, what would one use to tow a disabled boat?:confused:

--

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

McMark

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I wouldn't consider those for tow hooks. Too close to the waterline. I'd want the tow rope to be inclined somewhat from the boat in distress to the tow boat. If I had to, I'd make a yoke between the back 2 cleats then to the bow eye of the boat in distress. And take it real easy.

Although these u bolts are technically called tow hooks, they are nothing more than transom tie downs for trailering.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I wouldn't consider those for tow hooks. Too close to the waterline. I'd want the tow rope to be inclined somewhat from the boat in distress to the tow boat. If I had to, I'd make a yoke between the back 2 cleats then to the bow eye of the boat in distress. And take it real easy.

Although these u bolts are technically called tow hooks, they are nothing more than transom tie downs for trailering.
So, what would be the best tow point for large tubes? SAA?
(I despise pulling tubes, by the way, but it's basically inevitable.)
(And yes, I know this has come up before, but I'm not sure the above considerations were taken into the account at the time. )

--

McMark

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I don't pull tubes. We pretty much just cruise around and swim. I have pulled a tube before but just from the tow point.

It's always best for the rope to be higher on the towboat though. Whether it's a boat in distress or a tube, it helps get the front end up and not plow under.

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Finally getting some warranty cracks fixed. Here's the list so that other 2015 AR240 owners can check their boats in these areas.

Warranty work.

Port side. Bulkhead needs cut back. Putting too much pressure against outer hull. Vertical Spider cracks in the side of hull at the bulkhead.

Port side rear seat in the radius between the seat cushion and inner liner. Glass guy said this was probably there when they built the boat.

Small blister in lifting strake with spider crack. Void found in hull.

Void found in pass through area below the tow point and next to the right side of the hydro turf. About quarter sized.

Dash cracks at every screw hole where the instrument panel screws to the glass console.

Both rear tie downs need pulled and resealed. The glass guy said it looks like there is no sealant at all on them.

Non warranty work.

Someone scratched the port side rear decal while in storage. We're cutting the section of the decal out with the scratch, fixing gel if needed, then reshape the rest of the decal. I want them gone but the Mrs likes them. Arggghhh.

The glass guy asked me how I liked the Yamaha. I told him I loved how it runs but in my opinion, it's a soft boat. He agreed.

Work to be finished in 2 weeks. I'll keep you posted.
@McMark So glad you posted on this.
I think I have the same issue with the port side bulkhead. Not bad, yet, but it certainly will be if I don't adjust.
I would never notice it with my white hull, no way, until too late. It is pretty clear if you look at it in the right light at then right angle...

--

McMark

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@swatski are you going to adjust the board yourself? Yamaha knows about the problem but will they cover fixing it if the gel isn't cracked yet. If I'd known about it I would have just fixed myself. It didn't take too much time before mine cracked the gel. I noticed it in something like 10 hours.

Can you get your fingers in between the board and the outer hull? How is your starboard side? If you push along the hull it will stop flexing when you get to the tight board.

My boat is still at the glass shop.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@McMark thanks again.
No spider cracks yet, but there is some pressure and I can see it I think.

It is amazing how thin those new hulls are built.

I trust my dealer skills, but since I don't have any actual damage yet, I think it would be tricky to have them fix it under warranty.

It is exactly like you describe it, the starboard is loose, the port side board is tight against the hull and does not move.

There is no doubt in my mind this needs to be fixed or it will be a problem. I had a spot like that on my 190. At first I thought I hit something but it turned out to be an edge of a subwoofer inside the compartment, a sub in carpeted enclosure just about touching the hull...

McMark

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
See if the dealer will fix it. Yamaha knows about it.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I will, and I have to go back with some other nonsense, anyway - replacing two cabin cushions that have weird defects/discolorations.
I will post what they say.

McMark

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Picking up on Sunday at noon! Then heading to deep creek lake, md.

[flag]

McMark

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well, I picked my boat up today but as luck would have it it's been raining off and on all weekend. Tried to head to the lake and sat at the staging area to see if it was going to clear up, but no go.

The repair to the side of the hull came out very nice. The color matches well enough and after a little time you won't even know it was ever there. What's interesting though is the repair is like a mirror and I really didn't think my boat wasn't shiny but the glasswork in the repair is better than the original glasswork of the boat.

All of the other spots were taken care of and all covered by Yamaha. The dash, the passthrough, the port seat base, the lifting strake, Yamaha covered all of it. The void in the lifting strake had about a quarter sized void and was most of the way through the hull, just a little glass and gelcoat covering it. The tow hooks were removed, the glass fixed and reinstalled with backers and sealed.

The boat was detailed inside and out and looked better than when I originally bought it.

The best part was while I was hooking up the boat to the truck, a bear came out of the woods and stood in the middle of the road and watched me hook the boat up. Probably 20 feet away. Kinda scared the $hit out of me since I've never seen a wild bear that close. I tried to get my phone from the truck, but he went into the woods before I could get the picture. The glass guy said they cross the road here all the time.