• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Drove a lightning yesterday...

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Personally, if I wanted a go-fast vehicle, I would get a sports car not a sports truck.
I have 2 corvettes as well, they aren't great when you have to take littles to daycare. Yeah, you could get a sport sedan, but at that point you're playing compromises. IMO, the compromise at that point is less ideal because I have the added weight and sze and stuff of a sedan, but none of the practicality of the SUV or truck. I'd take the next step up in size and weight for that practicality.

RightStuff

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
The non-tesla charging network is really what is putting me in the wait-and-see category for an EV truck. Just not up to where I would want to use it and rely on it.

Based on my usage I'd charge a majority of the time at home. Having to rely on charging stations for longer road trips is the non-starter for putting down a deposit and getting in line for a 1st gen EV truck. I really want one because it would be a great for what I use my current pickup for, but I'm not ready for that occasional headache. I really hope things improve in a few years when I'm ready to upgrade so I'm watching closely how this evolves.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have 2 corvettes as well, they aren't great when you have to take littles to daycare. Yeah, you could get a sport sedan, but at that point you're playing compromises. IMO, the compromise at that point is less ideal because I have the added weight and sze and stuff of a sedan, but none of the practicality of the SUV or truck. I'd take the next step up in size and weight for that practicality.
Yea......The misconception most people have is that the "sport truck" is a replacement for a "sports car"........It's not. It's still a truck and still handles like one. They're big, heavy, and awkward.

@Jim_in_Delaware the thing us sport truck guys like, is that we're car guys at heart, but we have to do grown up things often. So something like a 4 door pickup truck checks a LOT of boxes for us, but still drives like we're on marshmallows. SO, we can put big wheels/tires, big brakes, lower it a bit, and throw some stiff springs and sway bars under it and get an acceptably handling machine. Once you make a few of those mods, it will keep the commute entertaining, but still retain a very large portion of the utility that you need. For those of us that have to limit the playing field to a single unit, a sport truck has a lot of positives without many negatives.

Something like this would be pretty close. 2015 Sierra Denali that has the active ride suspension, the big 6.2L engine, and has been lowered a bit to help mitigate body role. Still get to keep the bed for random house crap we have to deal with and the second row of seats for the kids, however the handling will be improved enough to keep the entertainment factor high on expressway on ramps, or the random back country road.
1675974797246.png

I drove this for about a decade. It was small, light and handled like it was on rails. Giant/wide tires, super stiff sway bars, big brakes all around. I actually won 2 seasons in the local SCCA Autocross series with this thing. I was forever using the bed for "something". Often time retrieving engines/transmissions/parts for my buddies project cars. But the other 90% of the time I was just driving back and forth the work, it still kept me reasonably entertained with the driving experience without sacrificing the usefulness of a pickup.
1675974523941.png

Vehicles like his TBSS, my Q7, and a plethora of other "sport SUV's" thread this needle somewhat acceptably. They're big and heavy, but still pretty "sporty" in nature. They handle better than their mom-mobile base models, have more power, and have (subjectively) better aesthetics. For me......if I could get a sport wagon with a tow rating that's what I would drive every day, a Q7 is about as close to that as I can reasonably expect. The point he was making here is that while there are "sporty SUV's" available in the market currently, the premise of a "sport truck" has somewhat fallen off the radar of most manufacturers. You used to be able to get a Lightning with a supercharger and a drop. Ram had the SRT-10, and GM had the Silverado SS. Toyota never really fielded a Tundra, but they had the Xrunner in the mid-size for awhile, and I think Nissan just never competed.

Anywho, it's not just about having one dedicated vehicle for each "activity", but rather having a swiss army knife that does all the things you need it to do, and retaining that entertainment for a driving enthusiast the rest of the time.

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Yea......The misconception most people have is that the "sport truck" is a replacement for a "sports car"........It's not. It's still a truck and still handles like one. They're big, heavy, and awkward.
We all have different wants and needs. I understand that some of y'all want sport trucks, but if the big 3 ain't offering them, I gotta think that they don't see a large amount of market demand to build them. There has been third party customizers around for a long time, but for Rams, all I see at the dealership are Black Widows, and these are big lifted trucks and not sport trucks. That's the reason I asked in the earlier post about any third party go-fast builds being offered by the dealerships.

I still stand by my comment that personally I don't want a sport truck, as I would prefer the ride and handling of a sports car. For a truck, I'm happy with my Ram as it suits all of my truck needs. Doesn't mean that a sport truck would be pointless, just that its not the truck for me.

I remember when the S10's first came out. Kids (I was just out of college myself) where buying S10 right and left as they where cheap and easy to customize.

Jim

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
We all have different wants and needs. I understand that some of y'all want sport trucks, but if the big 3 ain't offering them, I gotta think that they don't see a large amount of market demand to build them. There has been third party customizers around for a long time, but for Rams, all I see at the dealership are Black Widows, and these are big lifted trucks and not sport trucks. That's the reason I asked in the earlier post about any third party go-fast builds being offered by the dealerships.

I still stand by my comment that personally I don't want a sport truck, as I would prefer the ride and handling of a sports car. For a truck, I'm happy with my Ram as it suits all of my truck needs. Doesn't mean that a sport truck would be pointless, just that its not the truck for me.

I remember when the S10's first came out. Kids (I was just out of college myself) where buying S10 right and left as they where cheap and easy to customize.

Jim
There's a "lot" of 3rd party go fast trucks at our dealers, but unfortunately they're aftermarket jobs, a lot of times they're built off base models or regular cabs, and they're expensive. They don't offer aftermarket lifted trucks here, just the stadium stuff like raptors and TRX and stuff.

Don't take this the wrong way... But have you driven a sports car? They ride like crap. A sport truck or sport SUV rides WAY nicer. Corvettes aren't even rough riding by sports car standards and they're way tougher than a sport truck or SUV. Something more hardcore will literally beat you up on anything longer than a short trip. The exception is the 911, it rides soft, but it's grown kinda fat and heavy now so it doesn't drive like a sports car, it drives like a small sedan.

I bet it though, different strokes for different folks, but it seems to be they're ignoring the whole sport truck market. Therers a TON of competition in the sport SUV market, but I think none of the domestics have any innovation left and just play follow the leader. The Germans offer a sport version of literally every SUV they sell (except the x7, but the M50i is a lite sport version). Ford, dodge, jeep, Acura, all offer sport versions of their midsize SUVs, if not their smaller ones too. Ford and GM offer sport packages on their fullsize SUVs too. Jeep has a blackout option, but I wouldn't consider it a sport version because the suspension is the lightest of tweaked. All that to say, of the sport SUV market is that big that they can all compete, there's GOTTA be a sport truck market too, just the domestics aren't interested in competing (probably because it'd require some innovative thinking, and all they can focus on is EVs).

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I don't think any of my local dealers have any aftermarket go-fast trucks. Dealer trucks in my area, if not factory stock, are lifted, off-road, vehicles. But then, my area is a lot more rural than you area.

Yes, I have driven a few sport cars in my life. Also, cut my teeth on second-hand muscle cars (go fast but definitely not sport cars!) in the mid to late 70's. I think of vehicles as tools with different purposes. My ideal garage garage would have my truck for towing and hauling, a luxury sedan (or mid-size SUV) for long distance driving, and a sports car for those fun afternoons. Now, this is my ideal garage, and I realize that we are definitely at different points in our lives, as I don't have any little ones to shuttle around on a daily basis, and we only occasionally have company to drive around. The way I use my truck is the reason my Ram 1500 is a Quad Cab instead of a Crew Cab, as I find the larger bed (instead of additional rear seating) more useful on a daily basis.

Jim

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
When I lived in rural NC the dealers had a mix of go fast trucks and off-road trucks. Here in FL, less off-road ones.

Sadly, I don't have an unlimited size garage. Also, boring vehicles are boring, and I don't want to drive something boring every day, lol. Sport SUVs and trucks don't take the place of sports cars, they make trucks and SUVs more tolerable to drove every day.

TimW451

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Ram released more info on the new electric Ram at the Chicago Auto Show. Of most interest is the name, Ram 1500 REV. There will be a Super Bowl commercial, of course. And “in the coming months” a reveal of the production model. Manufacturing begins in a year.

TimW451

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
RAM 1500 REV preorders are open. Not sure if Ford did this, I didn’t look at the fine print, but the $100 fee does NOT go towards the purchase price, and it is only refundable up until they notify you to order, not a simple if you choose not to order. So, I didn’t do it.

“ Member’s Join Fee will NOT go toward the purchase of the Ram 1500 REV should participant decide to purchase the vehicle. Join Fees are refundable until the first notice that the Ram 1500 REV becomes available for early access pre-order communicated by Ram”

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
RAM 1500 REV preorders are open. Not sure if Ford did this, I didn’t look at the fine print, but the $100 fee does NOT go towards the purchase price, and it is only refundable up until they notify you to order, not a simple if you choose not to order. So, I didn’t do it.

“ Member’s Join Fee will NOT go toward the purchase of the Ram 1500 REV should participant decide to purchase the vehicle. Join Fees are refundable until the first notice that the Ram 1500 REV becomes available for early access pre-order communicated by Ram”

Thats smart, but also likely to weed out a lot of preorders. While 100 bucks isn't the end of the world for most of they're trying to flip one, I suspect there will be a lot less preorders for the ram than the competition.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@BlkGS this lightning came with a range extender. Just what you've always wanted!

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@BlkGS this lightning came with a range extender. Just what you've always wanted!

Honestly, there's probably a decent market for a high voltage, high amperage generator for EV charging in the future. A small Cummins diesel generator, a couple gallon tank, in a portable enough package that the average girly man can lift into the bed.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Thats smart, but also likely to weed out a lot of preorders. While 100 bucks isn't the end of the world for most of they're trying to flip one, I suspect there will be a lot less preorders for the ram than the competition.
Pre-orders sold out almost immediately for the REV. Would be tempting but my truck is almost paid off lol.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Pre-orders sold out almost immediately for the REV. Would be tempting but my truck is almost paid off lol.
That's nuts. They haven't announced anything of substance about it yet. People are dumb.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That's nuts. They haven't announced anything of substance about it yet. People are dumb.
Just good evidence that this market segment doesn't make data based decisions.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Just good evidence that this market segment doesn't make data based decisions.
I bet over 50% of those people will just try to flip the trucks. $100 is nothing when your making 10k.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I bet over 50% of those people will just try to flip the trucks. $100 is nothing when your making 10k.
Be interesting to see how that pans out. This is a fickle market currently, and I suspect as the economy retracts a little, those premiums will somewhat go away.

Lots of Rivians in that status currently. The people that got in "pre price hike" are still making money, but the post price hike folks aren't seeing much markup currently. There are reports of a few units going for less than pre hike money even.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Be interesting to see how that pans out. This is a fickle market currently, and I suspect as the economy retracts a little, those premiums will somewhat go away.

Lots of Rivians in that status currently. The people that got in "pre price hike" are still making money, but the post price hike folks aren't seeing much markup currently. There are reports of a few units going for less than pre hike money even.
Yeah we will see. Dumb consumers can't stop spending and it's driving inflation up still.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Agreed, I bet a lot of them are people who think they're gonna flip it and make money, but based on the light ings sitting on the lots right now, with interest rates set to climb further and the economy set to shrink further.... Bad time to be speculating on electric trucks IMO.

Unfortunately, the inflation will stick around until we pull a LOT of money out of existence. I'd start by gutting crypto. That could make a couple billion/trillion in fake money disappear immediately.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Ford is offering a $7500 rebate on the top trims of Lightning now, with most dealers doing discounts of $2500 or more. That's in addition to the $7500 EV tax credit.

All that adds up to a Lightning Lariat that's loaded to just under $80k working out to closer to 60, which is a much more reasonable price.

The real shame is the light ing lariat interior is kinda down market from the ICE lariat, and of course they're not getting the 2024 updates... Or the 2021 update. I think Ford would have been wise to just make Lightning a powertrain option that goes under any f150. There's a price point where I'd buy an electric truck over an ICE one, and frankly they're getting close. Just wish they had the nicer platinum under the MSRP cutoff...