• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

dual battery question (2007 yamaha sx230ho)

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
If all you do is run stock electronics and never have radio or lights on when the engines aren't running, you won't need to recharge. However, batteries only absorb 10-15 amps per hour. So if you discharge a batter playing music on a stock stereo for a couple hours, you will still need approximately an hour of cruise to recharge them. Everybody is different, but chances are, you use more reserves than that, and you will need to charge your batteries after use. Battery maintenance is one of the most neglected maintenance items in boat ownership. In a perfect world, batteries would never be in a depleted state even one night. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

grady dagenais

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
92024150-A9A4-4E59-96C6-846EFCC92ED5.jpeg I think this matches what was posted and the way I plan to run my setup so that each one runs the whole boat - essentially creating a back up system - (1) is primary but if I ever need it - (2). Since 1 gets power/recharged from running, (2) will have the solar charger on while under cover to maintain its charge. May alternate which one gets the trickle charger through the summer with quick disconnects.

Both come in the house for the winter.

What would it look like if I wanted the tender to trickle both batteries - a diode on the + wires to prevent backflow to the charger?

I know that if I had the switch in the both position that the charger would do both but kind of defeats the purpose of that.

Gray

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
To boot onto this thread (and thank you to txav8r for his expertise), I am planning to run a Raymarine Quantum 2 Radar with an Axiom 9 MFD. My power system will include 3 each Odyssey brand 34M-PC1500ST-M batteries, in conjunction with a Blue Sea Add-A-Battery Kit ( https://www.bluesea.com/products/7650/Add-A-Battery_Kit_-_120A)

One of the Odyssey's will be the engine battery; the other 2 will serve as house/Navionics power.

I welcome any critique or troubleshooting.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
@grady dagenais Sounds like you are running a simple 1/2/off switch. Just remember, a battery never used won’t be your reliable backup. So swap batteries either 1 going out and 2 coming back, or 1 this weekend, and 2 next weekend. However you want to do it. Just get equal use on them.

@Gray , hope the schematic helped. Your battery bank setup is very similar to mine. Except I had only two group 27 I believe they were, AGMs. The add a battery switch will combine the banks, so having three similar batteries is good. Except the two you have as house batteries will be twice as many amps wired parallel, as your start battery. When in use, without starting engines, you will be depleting he house batteries, but once the engine charging system ramps up, it will close a relay, and all three will be parallel. This is good, because the engines will then charge the weakest first. There are variations to the setup to isolate them so you can always use a shore charger without combining.