• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Electric On Board Oil Extractors

Canuckjetboater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
I looked through our FAQ and Search functions (both superb) and followed a link to another forum (the one that is not to be mentioned LOL). On it were discussions of intentions to use the low engine drain plug to install a hose/line to remove oil. I am interested to know if any forum member has done this. Yes, our engines run in a cleaner environment, at RPMs well below their danger point and for lower hours. BUT - they still work hard and I do not like leaving as much oil as a dipstick removal system leaves behind. On every boat I have owned I have installed a "cross notched" brass fitting in the oil pan with an oil resistant hose connected to a 12v pump. Oil change - heat the engine to operating temperature to remove acids, water vapors and contaminants, then flip the switch and sip a beer while all the hot messy oil is pumped into a jug. While I'm at it has anyone installed a remote oil filter set-up for their engine? These are two mods I am considering. :cool:

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
to my knowledge no has installed either,

The old Riva drain plug/up pipe was very expensive, like $150. each, we had a member at one time was going to mimic it and build his own but we never heard back from him.

Very interested to see what you come up with (with pictures of course!),

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Scottintexas sent me this link in response to my post about removing water contaminated oil from my waverunner’s mr1 Motor. I think I’m though the woods but now plan to pull the plug anyway to be sure to get all of the bad oil out. I’m not prepared to go the distance and attach something permanent to the drain. If I don’t rely completely on gravity to do the job, I may put some flex seal on the end of my oil extractors hose to such the oil out of the notion of the motor. It could get messy but worth the top tank empty At most only two quarts could spill into the hull.

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
What about replacing the drain plug with something like this and connecting to an oil extractor unit?
I've used one of those in the past on a vehicle of mine, and while gravity was used, you still needed to slide a hose over the fitting to direct the oil around a cross member. The only issue I can envision off the top of my head is to make sure you find a hose that won't collapse, something like those braided hoses (clear hose with white crosshatched "lines", perhaps?). It looks like that valve is threaded, so you could even plumb up a handful of fittings to get the connection point to a more convenient area in the engine bay.

TimW451

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
In reading other threads on this forum it sounds like neither manufacturer of these valves make an 8mm model. Bummer.

I like what Ernest did in the post you shared Ronnie. That was a great way to fin an 8mm drain fitting.