• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Electric Vehicle Battery Issues/Fires

fireflymedic

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Something else you don't see in the adds for electric cars when they are bragging about range is they don't recommend fully charging the battery to 100%. So your not going to be able to go the advertised range. Or if you do not for long because you are destroying your battery charging past 80-90%.

"But will it harm your vehicle to charge it past 80%? Technically, it can. Lithium-ion batteries cannot tolerate high voltages for extended periods of time, and keeping your battery charged fully can accelerate degradation".Jun 3, 2022

Also

"unfortunately the problem with chronic range depreciation from prolonged high-speed highway cruising isn't going away." Feb 16, 2022

I think electric cars are for city dwellers not for rural America.

I was thinking of a Toyota hybrid until I read mice love to eat the soy based insulation they use on the wiring. I live in rural area and have a rodent problem. Maybe they should come with a cat lol.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Something else you don't see in the adds for electric cars when they are bragging about range is they don't recommend fully charging the battery to 100%. So your not going to be able to go the advertised range. Or if you do not for long because you are destroying your battery charging past 80-90%.

"But will it harm your vehicle to charge it past 80%? Technically, it can. Lithium-ion batteries cannot tolerate high voltages for extended periods of time, and keeping your battery charged fully can accelerate degradation".Jun 3, 2022

Also

"unfortunately the problem with chronic range depreciation from prolonged high-speed highway cruising isn't going away." Feb 16, 2022

I think electric cars are for city dwellers not for rural America.

I was thinking of a Toyota hybrid until I read mice love to eat the soy based insulation they use on the wiring. I live in rural area and have a rodent problem. Maybe they should come with a cat lol.
I could be wrong but I don’t recall anything g wrong with charging either of ours to 100%. The Tesla recommended 80-90% so you can retain regen braking, that was only reason though.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Billtex2000

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
To imply that Fox News doesn’t absolutely have a narrative against electric cars is unfair as well.
The whole second half of the article reiterates that and their headline is far more alarming than the FL official’s actual tweet/statement.
ABC World News Tonight with David Muir had a long report on the Florida Teslas the other night...so I guess it's real now. SMH

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
ABC World News Tonight with David Muir had a long report on the Florida Teslas the other night...so I guess it's real now. SMH
Never said fires can’t start or that nothing Fox says is real. I have no dog in the EV fight. It’s just a misleading and extremely biased article.

The tweet, that is the subject of the article:
There’s a ton of EVs disabled from Ian. As those batteries corrode, fires start. That’s a new challenge that our firefighters haven’t faced before. At least on this kind of scale.

The headline:
Electric vehicles are exploding from water damage after Hurricane Ian, top Florida official warns