• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Engine Compartment Blowers

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
So I was looking for the blowers in my engine compartment and found that there are 2 in-line blowers. Do these suck out the engine compartment, or blow into the compartment. I haven't been able to find any exterior vents, just holes in the engine hatch. Was trying to test the volume of air going in or out, but came up empty. ???

WREKS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
They suck out. On my boat they are vented behind vertical part of back seats.

ripler

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
They should always be blowing out so you are not sucking fumes into the engine compartment. I'm not sure on your boat, but my Yamaha vented below the swim platform seats.

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
There is an opening, from the bottom and a void behind the back rests on the swim platform cushions. One side will have 2 open holes, inlet for air, at least mine does, the other side will have the blower hoses connected for the blower exhaust outlet. Turn on the blower, you will feel the blower exhaust coming from behind and under one of the backrest cushions. At least that is the way it has been for years. Those openings can be seen in my signature pic. below.

Last edited:

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Related story, last year my wife was on the swim deck and asked me to turn off the heater. After talking about it I realized she meant the blower fans. She was sitting on the exhaust side of the swim deck and was feeling the hot air from the engine compartment.

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Related story, last year my wife was on the swim deck and asked me to turn off the heater. After talking about it I realized she meant the blower fans. She was sitting on the exhaust side of the swim deck and was feeling the hot air from the engine compartment.
That's actually pretty good information. May come in handy on a cold fishing morning.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
It made me consider moving one of the blowers and its hose to the other side of the swim deck to increase the hot air coverage area but a combination of laziness and “there must be a reason both blowers are on the same side” convinced me not to fix what’s not broken.

Sx240

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I’m new to jet boats are you supposed to run the blowers all the time I just run them for a few minutes before I start it?

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
Great information. I certainly wouldn't of been looking behind the seats for an outlet.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I run mine almost all the time when I am running the engines, especially when I am doing watersports slapping the boat around pretty good. I also installed a Vapor Alarm with automatic blower turn on which is very nice.

Woodsy

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I typically only run my blower at the start of the day too. That vapor alarm install sounds interesting.

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
I run mine almost all the time when I am running the engines, especially when I am doing watersports slapping the boat around pretty good. I also installed a Vapor Alarm with automatic blower turn on which is very nice.
I've been thinking about adding the Vapor Alarm, but it's pricey. I have it in my "Save for Later" cart @ Amazon. I will be putting in my High Water alarm this weekend.

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I’m new to jet boats are you supposed to run the blowers all the time I just run them for a few minutes before I start it?
Just before you start her up to get any vapors out of there should suffice, but as you see, others have it on while operating. There's no harm in that either.

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
On a side note, is your bilge pump that came with the boat automatic?

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@RobbieO Yeah it was a bit spendy, but I figured since I have everything tore apart and I am running wires and drilling in and around the helm, may as well get it all done now and not having to go through the process later. Tired of finishing one thing cleaning up and then going through and opening up everything again and cleaning up again. Also it makes it easier and cleaner running all the wiring at the same time if possible.

Yes bilge is automatic. I would assume that all Yamaha boats would have either an automatic float/switch bilge pump or I believe one that cycles/checks for water every couple minutes or so. Mine is tied to the Start battery always on and my switch doesn't affect it.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Just before you start her up to get any vapors out of there should suffice, but as you see, others have it on while operating. There's no harm in that either.
An even better habit is to open the engine cover for the first time every outing. That is a true flush of the air in there. Running the blowers while running has become a habit after we had a rough running engine one time while surfing. Not enough air was flowing through at those slow speeds. So running the blower solved that.

If you don't mind the additional noise, it's good to have it running. And at speed, the sound of the engines will be louder than the blower.

Good luck!

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
@RobbieO Yeah it was a bit spendy, but I figured since I have everything tore apart and I am running wires and drilling in and around the helm, may as well get it all done now and not having to go through the process later. Tired of finishing one thing cleaning up and then going through and opening up everything again and cleaning up again. Also it makes it easier and cleaner running all the wiring at the same time if possible.

Yes bilge is automatic. I would assume that all Yamaha boats would have either an automatic float/switch bilge pump or I believe one that cycles/checks for water every couple minutes or so. Mine is tied to the Start battery always on and my switch doesn't affect it.
Thank you. I'm going to test it this weekend. So far I'm lucky, my boat stays bone dry. I'm concerned, that sucker seems small. May add another later. I'm not too worried about taking on water, more from a blown hose etc. Scupper valve showed up yesterday. Will also be replacing the anchor drain this weekend.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
When I was running hard pulling watersports last summer and flying around in a good chop, when I opened up the storage in front of the port passenger side I smelled a lot of vapor. Not fuel as much as exhaust. It concerned me. Since then I keep the blowers on and it hasn't happened again, while towing.

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length

One more question if you don't mind. Where's the best location for +/- bus bars? Near the batteries I would assume?

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I guess it depends on what you are wanting to do. I have bus bars near the switch, both positive and negative, so the only wires on my batteries are two each battery. I also have two fuse blocks. One near the switch and one under the helm. My Vapor Alarm is tied in the Fuse Block under the helm. My high water alarm is tied to the fuse block next to my switch. Saves a lot by not having to run wires all over the place.

Top left is Negative Buss Bar, everything is tied into that. Bottom right is Positive Buss Bar off of house battery. My bilge is wired right under the switch to the post that my starting battery is connected to so it is always on regardless of switch position.

The 60amp inline circuit breaker, bottom, off the Positive Buss Bar runs all the way to the Helm Fuse Block.

20210427_213604.jpg