• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Engine Coupler clearance??

NewGuySX320HO

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hi All,

I have just replaced the intermediate shafts on both sides. Question: Where can I find the clearance spec for the engine to intermediate shaft coupler? I have a 230HO repair manual, but cannot locate the clearance spec. They will go in as far as metal to metal with the Rubber Shaft Coupling in between, but there would need to be some space to allow for torque or other engine flex. Please reply as soon as you can.

Thanks in advance!

Rich

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other

NewGuySX320HO

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thank for the reply Brad_Ct. That was exactly what I was looking for! 2-4mm clearance between the couplers. Rubber damper was in great shape so I was able to reuse it. Good news is both motors went back on their mounts without any drama in realigning the couplers. Next step is to the water to ensure no leakage and then I can finish putting everything back together. Whew!

JO6636

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SR
Boat Length
Hi Guys, I recently changed the port engine on my 2005 SR230. When I was checking the gear reduction box, there is a little bit of play on the coupler.
I mean when you move it left and right, you can hear a clanking noise .Is that normal? Does it supposed to have a clearance play on it?
thank you in advance for helping the new jet boater .

Brad_Ct

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hi Guys, I recently changed the port engine on my 2005 SR230. When I was checking the gear reduction box, there is a little bit of play on the coupler.
I mean when you move it left and right, you can hear a clanking noise .Is that normal? Does it supposed to have a clearance play on it?
thank you in advance for helping the new jet boater .
Both mine have play in them so I think it’s normal

JO6636

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SR
Boat Length
Thanks Brad...I really appreciate the help...

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
It is not a gear reduction box it is the intermediate bearing housing. The drive shaft goes in one side and the rubber vibration dampener goes between the power take off on the back of the crankshaft and the intermediate bearing a slight play between the fins on both sides and the rubber in the middle is ok but not the shaft with the fins on it as that would indicate a bad or worn bearing inside it.