• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Engine dying when going over wake

CC27560

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
We have a 2014 Yamaha 242s. Recently one or both engine have started dying when we cross a large wake. This has not happened previously but has become prevalent lately.

anyone have expeteince with this? Any idea of the cause/remedy?

Thanks!!

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
kill switches in the rear hatch may need adjusting

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Also be sure the latch even works to lock that hatch since the clean out plugs usually destroy it if they blow out and requires it to be replaced.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hatch switch is first on the list but also check your battery connections, i had a loose cable and every so often an engine would die when it wiggled on the post

Jaxpa

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
We have a 2014 Yamaha 242s. Recently one or both engine have started dying when we cross a large wake. This has not happened previously but has become prevalent lately.

anyone have expeteince with this? Any idea of the cause/remedy?

Thanks!!
I had this happen end of last season. Turned out to be the rear hatch latches broke and when the boat hit the water, the hatch jumped and cut the engines. Replaced the latches and haven’t had it happen again. God luck

14SX190

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
x 1,000,000 chances rear deck lid kill switch

Happened to me last week twice. Cruising through IC it died, WTF. Started right up and same thing.
Didn't take me a third time to figure it out latch was not locked