• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Engine Stall and a Dismembered Spark Plug

troybox

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
My brother had an engine stall at speed in his new to him 2014 212x yesterday and it would turn over but not restart. Trouble shooting today he pulled the fourth spark plug and found this:

Never seen anything like this before. Any ideas we are thinking the worst…

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
You are probably correct. Gut reaction is chain failure. Something hit that, and that something was likely a valve that was broken from smacking a piston. Under warranty still I hope?

Chuckbig

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Well, the season is over. See you in 2018. That looks very bad! I'm sorry! I would not try to crank it over, the rest of that plug is hiding somewhere.

troybox

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
You are probably correct. Gut reaction is chain failure. Something hit that, and that something was likely a valve that was broken from smacking a piston. Under warranty still I hope?
That's what we are worried about. Engine only has 40 hours on it, but not thinking there is a warranty...

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
That's what we are worried about. Engine only has 40 hours on it, but not thinking there is a warranty...

Man, I hate that for your brother. I'd be giving my wife a list of everyone at Yamaha's phone number and telling her they all tried to take her Lularoe leggings. I guarantee they'd be paying for something.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
that stinks, if your local boat dealer won't help you with getting Yamaha to fix it maybe look for a PWC shop to help you, they may not poke you in the eye quite as bad,

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

troybox

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Man, I hate that for your brother. I'd be giving my wife a list of everyone at Yamaha's phone number and telling her they all tried to take her Lularoe leggings. I guarantee they'd be paying for something.
Yeah, his wife has already started emailing the dealer. They think the dealer offered a 30 day warranty or something like that...but it's going to be close!

We believe the dealer had just put the spark plugs in as pre-sale service. Looking in the hole, the piston head does look like it has a small piece of metal welded to the top...but a magnet isn't really picking up anything out of the cylinder.

Not a good start to his first boat. He also corrected me...engine only has 28 hours on it.

Zonie

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hopefully Yamaha will step up and so something with an engine that new. I agree with Veedubtek. The plug didn't fail, something smashed into it and it's a pretty short list of things that could cause that. I hope they help you.

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
First thought is a timing chain failure if that applies to that year/engine but it looks like it does. I would not even turn that engine over since you will damage the cylinder and/or piston. Take this to a Yamaha authorized shop

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
It's probably the chain if you crank the engine over and you notice it spins really fast and possibly backfires from fuel in the exhaust it is the chain.
As far as I know Yamaha IS covering timing chain failures on engines out of warranty but don't wait because as the season starts up a lot of chains will probably hatch and as was the case last year people will be on waiting lists for repairs and parts.