• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Exceeding hitch rating

KC-AR240

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I typically sympathize with the truckers, and try to show all the respect.
But the new crop seems a bit different, lot of them are really pushing it. Towing through NM, AZ, TX, speed limit is mostly 75 but if you drive it you get passed and cut off a lot.

--
Wholeheartedly agree with you. They don't know etiquette and simply don't care. Trust me, me and the guys talk about the new breed all the time. Now back to boats

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
There are plenty of light duty trucks that are capable of towing 13,000lbs, but they are all constrained by hitch capacity in the form of tongue weight. You can tow 13,000 pounds of hay on a 4-wheel hay trailer, but not a 13,000 pound boat.

Need A Vacation

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
215 ID
Boat Length
I've been told never tow over 70. Anyone else ever hear that?
As mentioned, a lot of it has to do with the reaction and stopping distance. When towing, a vehicle will not handle as well.

I would guess another reason is the fact that just about all trailer tires had a 65mph rating at one time. Thankfully some trailer tires are rated higher now.

Don't believe Dodge. the dealer and the people you talk to have no clue. Just ask me I was a truck/towing newbie 8 years ago. they sold me a Ram 1500 and said I could tow anything. 3 years later I needed a 2500 because I was over the payload. Sure I could tow my camper, but couldn't put any cargo or people in the truck without being overweight.

Just remember if towing rating is xxxxx (say 10,000lbs) and on average you need 10% tongue weight (1000lbs) and the max payload is 1400lbs you can only load 400 pounds in your truck between cargo and people (they give you an allowance of 150lbs for the driver!!!!!) Good luck and hopefully don't make the same mistake I made
I believe there are many (including myself) learned after the fact that the tw, cargo, and all occupants count toward the payload. It’s scary how quickly it adds up.

Regarding the tv payload though, the amount stated in the drivers door jamb does NOT take into a driver at 150lbs. The payload rating is actually for no included occupants in the vehicle.

I believe the confusion comes from the fact the “tow rating” did include 1-150lb occupant (the driver) for the previous tow rating system. And per the new tow standard it is now 2-150lb occupants.

BUT the payload does not include/ account for any occupants. I believe it does account for a full tank of fuel though, but haven’t been able to confirm that...

Need A Vacation

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
215 ID
Boat Length
So someone on the moomba forum said the same thing. Dodge is stupid don't believe the dealer. So I did some research. Well he found a website that if you enter in your vin it gives you the sticker. On our truck it clearly states class IV receiver hitch. Also their is a website that gives all dodge towing specs for 2017. The quad cab with the 3.92 axle towing capacity is over 10k lbs. I also called 3 different dodge dealers. They all were able to confirm by vin that my truck does have the class IV hitch. My payload is 1600 lbs. If it gets weird I can always use my dad's 3500 diesel. Towing capacity a house.
As mentioned previously, the majority of the time the tv payload, the receiver hitch max tw rating, and sometimes the rear axle rating are reached or even exceeded before coming close to the manufacture’s “tow rating”.

This is a generic reply I have put together for rv questions. Generally a rv will have a higher tw than a boat, and probably less cargo. It’s possibly the receiver hitch that will be the first possible limiting factor.

The hard part of us answering your question is we don’t know any additional weights or how you pack...

Know that as a vehicle rolls off the assembly line is weighed, and has a sticker placed in the drivers door jamb stating the rated payload for that vehicle.

It states “All occupants and cargo not to exceed XXXXlbs”. What is the stated amount in your tv (tow vehicle)?

As stated, the total weight of: all occupants, any cargo (coolers, bikes, firewood, etc), any accessories added to the tv (push/step bars, truck topper/tonneau cover, etc), the wdh or 5r hitch, and the trailer tw or pin weight all count toward the rated payload.

Then there is the max axle weight ratings, and the factory mounted receiver hitch max tw rating when towing a bumper pull.

And going by the “brochure” dry listed weights can be very deceiving as we usually only tow an empty rig once, maybe twice. When it’s first bought and taken home, and maybe when sold and taken to the new owners or dealer to trade in. Our “brochure” tw of 910lbs for our ‘16 Jayco Jay Flight 32 BHDS is actually over 1400lbs loaded, with only 20gals of water in the fresh tank, black and gray tanks with maybe 3-4gals only in them, and 3-26” mountain bikes (1 Specialized, 2 Treks) on the bike rack in the rear cargo hitch.

So do the math and see if you will be under the tv payload, and receiver hitch ratings....

Good luck!

Arcadyus

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
As mentioned previously, the majority of the time the tv payload, the receiver hitch max tw rating, and sometimes the rear axle rating are reached or even exceeded before coming close to the manufacture’s “tow rating”.

This is a generic reply I have put together for rv questions. Generally a rv will have a higher tw than a boat, and probably less cargo. It’s possibly the receiver hitch that will be the first possible limiting factor.

The hard part of us answering your question is we don’t know any additional weights or how you pack...

Know that as a vehicle rolls off the assembly line is weighed, and has a sticker placed in the drivers door jamb stating the rated payload for that vehicle.

It states “All occupants and cargo not to exceed XXXXlbs”. What is the stated amount in your tv (tow vehicle)?

As stated, the total weight of: all occupants, any cargo (coolers, bikes, firewood, etc), any accessories added to the tv (push/step bars, truck topper/tonneau cover, etc), the wdh or 5r hitch, and the trailer tw or pin weight all count toward the rated payload.

Then there is the max axle weight ratings, and the factory mounted receiver hitch max tw rating when towing a bumper pull.

And going by the “brochure” dry listed weights can be very deceiving as we usually only tow an empty rig once, maybe twice. When it’s first bought and taken home, and maybe when sold and taken to the new owners or dealer to trade in. Our “brochure” tw of 910lbs for our ‘16 Jayco Jay Flight 32 BHDS is actually over 1400lbs loaded, with only 20gals of water in the fresh tank, black and gray tanks with maybe 3-4gals only in them, and 3-26” mountain bikes (1 Specialized, 2 Treks) on the bike rack in the rear cargo hitch.

So do the math and see if you will be under the tv payload, and receiver hitch ratings....

Good luck!
Thanks, yeah I've done the math and we seems to be good. 1600lb pay load. Tongue weight 1400lbs, towable weight 14,000 well that's the hitch rating. My truck is only rates to tow 10,100 lbs

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I believe so, will double check tomorrow, it is reversible. Also comes with 2' and 2 1/2" ball inserts.
View attachment 96773

Those are well built. Super sturdy, this is my second season of hard towing. I just spray it with CRC656, looks like new.

--
Swatski, that's not a tongue, that's a freakin' trophy! What a beautiful piece of equipment. I was in love with my stainless tongue, but not the investment. But it was worth it. I don't really care to know what that piece is worth. Ouch!

Dixie Highway

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Swatski, that's not a tongue, that's a freakin' trophy! What a beautiful piece of equipment. I was in love with my stainless tongue, but not the investment. But it was worth it. I don't really care to know what that piece is worth. Ouch!
Actually they aren’t really that pricey, I checked into the 4” drop one and it went about $250 shipped.

Arcadyus

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
I'm picking one up today. My Dad uses one to tow his travel trailer. They have them locally at some rv shop.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Pricey is a relative term obviously. When many new boaters are buying the "combo pack" at Walmart with Tongue/Ball/Lock for $25.
Put me on that list of champagne taste with a beer budget.