• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

F-150 Hitch Question

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Never really thought about towing restrictions and weight when I had my 242, but I am looking at wake boats and it got me thinking about my truck. My hitch has the tag below on it. The hitch is integrated in to the bumper so it can't be removed and replaced. Anyone else here with F-150's concerned with towing over 5,000lbs on their factory hitch? A loaded down 242 would exceed this. The wake boats I am looking at are 7,000lbs dry on the trailer. Will be 7,500lbs or more loaded down.

image0.jpeg

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@haknslash went through this. He replaced the hich on his F150 despite being integrated. I'm sure he can be of some help.

Honestly, you're over the rating with a 242 without a WD hitch. Most never check, and clearly it's been doing fine.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Yup I completely removed my oem integrated hitch and bolted in a very nice Curt Class IV hitch and upgraded my draw bar and ball (most people also overlook the ratings of those as well). Would do it in a heartbeat all over again. All the threads I read said the same that it couldn’t be done but here to tell you it certainly can ;).

There are 3 ways to do it: #1 do what I did and cut / modify my bumper brackets to work with the aftermarket hitch while cutting out the integrated oem hitch or #2 buy a used F150 bumper that did not come with tow package so you can rob the brackets off it. IMO not worth buying a used bumper when you can just do it yourself with a cutoff wheel / sawsall. The only drawback doing it the way I did is the center of the plastic bumper loses its main support which is part of the integrated oem hitch. But it’s not an issue since your aftermarket hitch will sit just below the plastic so when you step on the center plastic step it just has a little give until it hits the top of the aftermarket hitch. A minor drawback and hasn’t been an issue still using it and getting into my bed. #3 blow your money on that massively ugly and huge $650 WD hitch that integrates with the stock hitch and receiver (don’t go this route IMHO).

Here’s my thread on it https://jetboaters.net/threads/need-to-upgrade-to-class-iv-hitch-but-my-2010-f150-has-factory-tow.20926/. Page 3 shows my plan of attack and page 4 the install. Let me know if you need more help but it’s pretty easy to do this.

I would upgrade for ease of mind and not tow what I think you’re wanting to tow while using the oem hitch. ;)

Last edited:

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Yup I completely removed my oem integrated hitch and bolted in a very nice Curt Class IV hitch and upgraded my draw bar and ball (most people also overlook the ratings of those as well). Would do it in a heartbeat all over again. All the threads I read said the same that it couldn’t be done but here to tell you it certainly can ;).

There are two ways to do it: #1 do what I did and cut / modify my bumper brackets to work with the aftermarket hitch while cutting out the integrated oem hitch or #2 buy a used F150 bumper that did not come with tow package so you can rob the brackets off it. IMO not worth buying a used bumper when you can just do it yourself with a cutoff wheel / sawsall. The only drawback doing it the way I did is the center of the plastic bumper loses its main support which is part of the integrated oem hitch. But it’s not an issue since your aftermarket hitch will sit just below the plastic so when you step on the center plastic step it just has a little give until it hits the top of the aftermarket hitch. A minor drawback and hasn’t been an issue still using it and getting into my bed.

Here’s my thread on it https://jetboaters.net/threads/need-to-upgrade-to-class-iv-hitch-but-my-2010-f150-has-factory-tow.20926/. Page 3 shows my plan of attack and page 4 the install. Let me know if you need more help but it’s pretty easy to do this.

I would upgrade for ease of mind and not tow what I think you’re wanting to tow while using the oem hitch. ;)
Sweet man! I searched and searched and couldn’t find anything other than that $650 hitch that mounts under the factory one.

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

There are two ways to do it: #1 do what I did and cut / modify my bumper brackets to work with the aftermarket hitch while cutting out the integrated oem hitch or #2 buy a used F150 bumper that did not come with tow package so you can rob the brackets off it. IMO not worth buying a used bumper when you can just do it yourself with a cutoff wheel / sawsall. The only drawback doing it the way I did is the center of the plastic bumper loses its main support which is part of the integrated oem hitch. But it’s not an issue since your aftermarket hitch will sit just below the plastic so when you step on the center plastic step it just has a little give until it hits the top of the aftermarket hitch. A minor drawback and hasn’t been an issue still using it and getting into my bed.

Thanks man. I’ll let you know if I have any questions. I have no doubt the truck can handle it but the hitch thing concerns me. Also, there’s a possibility I may have to tow 6-8 hours if I buy one boat I’m looking at in another state. My dad has a gmc 2500 that may be better suited for a longer haul so I may use it if I go that route.

Liveto99

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Just use your dads truck take a nice ride with him, everyone’s getting older enjoy the time.
The necessary reason to upgrade the hitch is if something bad happens you showed gross negligence by towing over the weight readings and because you posted online, which a slimeball attorney will find, they will know that you know that it’s only rated for 5000 pounds.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
If you’re planning on towing 6-8 hours to pick up the boat I’d for sure grab your dads 2500. The F150 could certainly do it but you’ll be working her and your wallet and will probably enjoy the longer ride with the heavier duty truck. Not sure what engine you have but mine is the old 5.4 and she does it but she’s also showing her age (212k miles) compared to newer trucks in regards to towing long range. If you’re still towing around town and somewhat locally I’d for sure upgrade your truck’s hitch with the Curt I used. It’s actually made for a non-oem two package F150 but it will fit trust me because once you cut out the oem hitch and trim your truck bumper brackets essentially will become like the non-tow package F150’s.

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
If you’re planning on towing 6-8 hours to pick up the boat I’d for sure grab your dads 2500. The F150 could certainly do it but you’ll be working her and your wallet and will probably enjoy the longer ride with the heavier duty truck. Not sure what engine you have but mine is the old 5.4 and she does it but she’s also showing her age (212k miles) compared to newer trucks in regards to towing long range. If you’re still towing around town and somewhat locally I’d for sure upgrade your truck’s hitch with the Curt I used. It’s actually made for a non-oem two package F150 but it will fit trust me because once you cut out the oem hitch and trim your truck bumper brackets essentially will become like the non-tow package F150’s.
I agree with you. Mine has the 5.0. It towed my 242LS no problem power wise. Now a heavier boat may be a different story.

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Just use your dads truck take a nice ride with him, everyone’s getting older enjoy the time.
The necessary reason to upgrade the hitch is if something bad happens you showed gross negligence by towing over the weight readings and because you posted online, which a slimeball attorney will find, they will know that you know that it’s only rated for 5000 pounds.
He would enjoy that. He went with me to Nashville when I met the buyer of my 242LS. Good times and conversation.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I took my dad with me in the drive to the Skiers Choice factory when they were building our boat. Great memories going to look at or pick up a boat with your pops. Good way to make the time fly a little faster too.

Speaking of towing distances you should try to get over this way this summer. Lakes are about 3-4 hours from you. Would love to see the new boat!

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I took my dad with me in the drive to the Skiers Choice factory when they were building our boat. Great memories going to look at or pick up a boat with your pops. Good way to make the time fly a little faster too.

Speaking of towing distances you should try to get over this way this summer. Lakes are about 3-4 hours from you. Would love to see the new boat!
deff! We want to travel to some new lakes and make a weekend out of It. Do they have places to stay on the water there?

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Yessir! They have condo and house rentals on both Lake Martin and Lewis Smith lakes I’d recommend checking out.

The view from our condo at the end of summer was epic and price wasn’t bad at all!

For sure hit me up if y’all make it down. I’d love to take y’all out and meet up and of course get a surf session in your new boat :)

4DEC67AF-F8E6-4DF7-A800-3C5680ED8B4B.jpegFCAA3F8A-F733-42A6-B4AF-BAE61FB85EDF.jpeg

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Yessir! They have condo and house rentals on both Lake Martin and Lewis Smith lakes I’d recommend checking out.

The view from our condo at the end of summer was epic and price wasn’t bad at all!

For sure hit me up if y’all make it down. I’d love to take y’all out and meet up and of course get a surf session in your new boat :)

View attachment 109089View attachment 109090
Awesome man. I went to Atlanta Marine yesterday and looked at the different models to compare. I looked a new Kaiyen, and it was awesome, but the bow is small. The cabin feels pretty spacious, but like I mentioned the bow is small. It would be good for kids, but not so much for adults. I looked at used SL’s and SA’s and the SL is clearly the better boat. I think I’ve decided on the SL for the subfloor ballast, storage, stereo is nuts, etc. I worked out a price on the red ‘18 in NC I’ve been looking at so now just trying to get everything in order and worked out. Fingers crossed it works out.

Lawman25

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Go by what your manual says your truck is rated for. My F150 (2013 FX4 supercrew with the 3.5 ecoboost) is rated for 10,500 pounds and I’ve never had an issue. I’m rather certain that 5000 number is if you’re towing off the bumper.

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Wake9 guys towed this monster around with a F150.
68FF865E-B87E-4563-9C8A-383EE0894389.png

Last edited:

Stevepro172

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You guys are missing the point of that warning sticker. It's not that the hitch won't carry the weight (it may or may not depending on the type), it is a warning that anything over 5k lbs should use a weight distributing hitch to put weight back on the front axel to help with steering and braking. Everyone knows someone that has and does pull 10k lbs without it, does it make sense? Short hops most likely not a problem, cross country, well you decide. I do have a 7k RV that I pull 5 miles without hooking up my weight distributing hitch. Does it work, absolutely, would I do it for 50 miles, absolutely NOT!

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
You buy that thing yet @MattFX4 ? Christmas is tomorrow ya know! :D

When is the boat show in ATL? I think ours is toward the end of January. If Drew Tinker is there be sure to say hi and speak with him. He's a real cool guy and very knowledgable about their products..

Last edited:

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
You buy that thing yet @MattFX4 ? Christmas is tomorrow ya know! :D

When is the boat show in ATL? I think ours is toward the end of January. If Drew Tinker is there be sure to say hi and speak with him. He's a real cool guy and very knowledgable about their products..
Not yet. Looking to pick it up mid January. Working on the loan details right now. Also trying to sort out storage. I can keep it at my parents house an hour a way for free. Thats OK right now but won’t work for me in the summer. I want it close to my house so i can pick it up easily. There’s an indoor storage facility close to my house, but at $10 a ft I would just wet slip it again like I did my Yamaha. Sucks living in a small neighborhood with 1/4 acre lots.

The Atlanta show is Jan 16-19 I believe. Not sure if I’ll go this year or not.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I hear ya on the 1/4 acre lots. I'm in a small garden home neighborhood with nazi HOA which says you can't have a trailer sitting in the driveway. Ironically a few houses down from me is a guy who runs a landscaping business and keeps his trailer full of equipment always connected to his truck so it leaves when the truck leaves. Guess that's one way around it lol. I'd love to build a trailer pad on the side of the house and extend my backyard wood fence around it. I could make it look nice but don't think my HOA would ever go for it lol.

I keep my boat at my parents house during the summer but they live 5 mins away. They might be moving again back down to the beach next year so if they do that means I'll need to find a storage facility near the house. They run $5 a foot in most places around here. What's kind of crazy is the closer I get to a lake the cheaper I can find storage but problem is we like to move around to different lakes and would not want to keep it so central to one lake. I'd love to do indoor storage near my house but the only place near by has pain in the ass time schedule to drop off the boat or leave it parked outside where anyone can access it while it waits until the next day and they will bring it inside. Don't really want to have to schedule my time on the water around a time I need to drop my boat off at storage so we will go with the most flexible and secure place if we can't use the parents house next year.

Good luck on your future purchase! Excited for you! Did you end up going SL?