• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Fiberglass damage - concerns?

svana

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I was prepping the boat last night and saw these two nicks the fiberglass, I know they should be repaired, but are they cause for concern in the short term? We are about to take off to Bimini and figured I would just hit it with spectrum touch up when I got back. Would that be sufficient?IMG_3330.jpegIMG_3329.jpeg

If it’s not soft I would not be concerned at all. As for repair, I’d throw some 5200 on it and smooth it out before it dries.

I carried a tube of epoxy kind of looked like a small cigar one type on outside other part on inside you would cut some off and massage it. I used that but my boat was black. But I would fill the whole.

I carried a tube of epoxy kind of looked like a small cigar one type on outside other part on inside you would cut some off and massage it. I used that but my boat was black. But I would fill the whole.
Sounds like jb weld?

Sounds like jb weld?
It wasn't jb weld although they do make something similar. It was in a plastic tube like this and like this it set under water but this one says it's white. I could have sworn it was black maybe I'm wrong.
Screenshot_20230701_171223_Walmart.jpg

That small? Frankly, I would just leave it. Fix it when you get back. For my money, whatever you would fill that with you will only need to get off later, and it won't do much.

That small? Frankly, I would just leave it. Fix it when you get back. For my money, whatever you would fill that with you will only need to get off later, and it won't do much.
What’s your take on a long term fix - spectrum gel coat touch up? Main concern is whatever it is holding up below the water line.

This is my new 2023 FSH 222 Sport E.

IMG_0514.jpg
These are the fish we caught before we had a run-in with a tree.
IMG_0537.jpg

This is the damage to my new boat, just eleven hours on the hour meter. We were enjoying the day on Lake Livingston. The depth sounder said 30 ft of water, doing 32 mph. Suddenly there was a nasty sound and the starboard side of the boat came out of the water. This is what happens when you hit the top of a tree that is about 4" out of the water.
70925804789__3B1FB46A-FEF6-4B89-B64E-A7943B67A918.jpg
Do you think I need to have it fixed? Just kidding!! It is now in the repair shop and yes it is worse than it looks. The front part is only surface damage, but the back part goes deep enough that it started to leak into the bilge. By the time we had the trailer in the water and had it loaded the bilge pump was pumping strong. Not a good day!!

Attachments

• 70925804789__3B1FB46A-FEF6-4B89-B64E-A7943B67A918.jpg
    70925804789__3B1FB46A-FEF6-4B89-B64E-A7943B67A918.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0514.jpg
    IMG_0514.jpg
    206.1 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0537.jpg
    IMG_0537.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 5
This is my new 2023 FSH 222 Sport E.

View attachment 203238
These are the fish we caught before we had a run-in with a tree.
View attachment 203239

This is the damage to my new boat, just eleven hours on the hour meter. We were enjoying the day on Lake Livingston. The depth sounder said 30 ft of water, doing 32 mph. Suddenly there was a nasty sound and the starboard side of the boat came out of the water. This is what happens when you hit the top of a tree that is about 4" out of the water.
View attachment 203240
Do you think I need to have it fixed? Just kidding!! It is now in the repair shop and yes it is worse than it looks. The front part is only surface damage, but the back part goes deep enough that it started to leak into the bilge. By the time we had the trailer in the water and had it loaded the bilge pump was pumping strong. Not a good day!!

What a bummer! So happy to see you finally got your boat, I know you were waiting along time!

Do you use Navionics? Wondering if it would have marked that area with a hazard?

I was prepping the boat last night and saw these two nicks the fiberglass, I know they should be repaired, but are they cause for concern in the short term? We are about to take off to Bimini and figured I would just hit it with spectrum touch up when I got back. Would that be sufficient?View attachment 203165View attachment 203166
I would just put some super glue gel or gorilla glue on it to seal it and fix it in more detail at a more convenient time

What’s your take on a long term fix - spectrum gel coat touch up? Main concern is whatever it is holding up below the water line.
Yes, do the Spectrum. Basically it is the original stuff. Done correctly (simple on these dings) neither you nor the boat will know it is there...

Back