• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Finally PERFORMANCE MODS For Yamaha 1.8 Motors

Rod5

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Not to me. They are for flame spark suppressing in case of back fire. So as long as engine is in good running condition... But one must go with what one is comfortable with.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The Coast Guard requires flame arrestors. On MR-1s some remove the ribbons and install an aftermarket air filter that serves as a flame arrestor.

blacksapphirez

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
i removed mine from 190 and also my 240. absolutely no issue and easy free gains.
While it is required, i do not feel the need for it. 0.000001% chance of burning down the boat...

I run 51 mph consistently.

blacksapphirez

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Rod5 where is the rubber piece around the metal ribbon? if it is still in the intake, TAKE IT OUT!
Good catch. @Rod5 please check and remove if still there, save it with the ribbon.
Not the best picture below of mine removed from previous boat, but there it is - the black rubber "seal" around the ribbon -- if left behind it can disintegrate and then it gets sucked through the throttle body, a bad thing.
upload_2016-9-28_23-8-10.png

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So it not an issue to run without the ribbon ?
If you are chasing performance "ribbon delete" is the #1 modification for Yamaha 1.8l engines. When done right it has never been shown to cause any adverse effects in these engines. The ECU automatically adjusts to increased air flow, it is free power and better fuel economy.
USCG mandates flame arrestors in boats (such as the ribbon in "ribbon delete") even though those play questionable role in fuel injected (not carburated) ignition systems.
The fix is to change the air filter to a "flame arrestor" type. No need to do this IMO, but if you want to play it safe there are RIVA air filters/flame arrestors to get you USCG compliance. Or a cheap automotive equivalent.

--

Rod5

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
IMG_0093.JPG The Riva rings today reuse the rubber spacer to keep the rings in place same as the ribbon.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
i removed mine from 190 and also my 240. absolutely no issue and easy free gains.
While it is required, i do not feel the need for it. 0.000001% chance of burning down the boat...

I run 51 mph consistently.

Can confirm. This man's boat runs like a bat outta Hell :D. I will remove my ribbon and beat you one day muhahahaha :Blackalien:!

blacksapphirez

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
i just find that the RIVA ring is totally unnecessary... each cylinder will draw in necessary air as the pistons & valves move.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
i just find that the RIVA ring is totally unnecessary... each cylinder will draw in necessary air as the pistons & valves move.
Yeah yeah yeah. But the rings look good! LOL.

But in all seriousness, I actually think I'm going to buy those and put them in this time.

Obviously the engines suck enough air even through those ribbons which is striking! So you are correct, no doubt. But the thing is, I've never come across anyone testing with and without those rings. So it could be a bit like with the air filters, you can gain additional 30-50 RPM, who knows. I just want to do it and be done. @Rod5 did us a great favor with this refresher here!

Last edited:

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
View attachment 46888
Nice SM @Neutron, what bike is it?
We lover our Super Duke.
Thanks.... its a 14 Suzuki DRZ400sm but after the first 100 miles decided it needed more power so i went big bore cylinder, race cams, and mechanical flat slide carb. Went from 30hp stock to 51 hp now.
I was spoiled when i lived up north had 24 7 access to a performance bike shop with a dyno so my bikes have been tuned to be optimal with what i put in it.
My FZ1 is tuned and modded as well
Want to get a Ducati Hypermotard some day. And the new FZ10. And the new FJ1300..... man so many toys so little space and money.lol

Sorry for the sidetrack....

Rod5

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Nice
Thanks.... its a 14 Suzuki DRZ400sm but after the first 100 miles decided it needed more power so i went big bore cylinder, race cams, and mechanical flat slide carb. Went from 30hp stock to 51 hp now.
I was spoiled when i lived up north had 24 7 access to a performance bike shop with a dyno so my bikes have been tuned to be optimal with what i put in it.
My FZ1 is tuned and modded as well
Want to get a Ducati Hypermotard some day. And the new FZ10. And the new FJ1300..... man so many toys so little space and money.lol

Sorry for the sidetrack....
Nice! I thought it looked like the DRZ. I had the FZ1 once too (my second most favorite bike ever) a few bikes back before I switched to the KTM's. Had the SMC 640, then the 990 Super Duke before I got the 1290 Duke last year. I thought about the Duc Hyper, but decided to stick with the KTM.
Apologies for the sidetrack everyone, its a bike thing... you know... just like the boat thing... :)

Evil Sports

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length

Unfortunately this is the only bike my family would sign off on for me after 2 in a previous life.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Unfortunately this is the only bike my family would sign off on for me after 2 in a previous life.
Too funny! I was allowed to get a new bike but -- with a sidecar. So, I got a custom Ural Retro (M72 replica) which turned out to be a hoot. Incidentally, those are also pretty hard to handle and dangerous to ride actually, but wife thinks it is safer BECAUSE it has a sidecar... Go figure. :D
Then, I was (finally) allowed a scooter (Cheers! @Evil Sports). So, I got one: Suzuki Burgman 650 ABS Executive, LOL, which goes over 100mph (I'm told ;)).
I know, it was a bit sneaky. But I just could not give up motorcycling.

--

Rod5

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length

That's hilarious!!! What an awesome interjection there Evil Sports... LMAO!!!

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I had a DRZ but it was the dual sport S model. You should get the DRZ400E subframe if you want to shave some weight (approx 1.5 lb but its up high so...) and you don't carry loads on your SM. In the end that bike was way too heavy so I went with the KTM 530 EXC and never looked back at the Zuke again. Personally I didn't care for the Hypermotard compared to the Super Duke 1290. So much power and torque with the SD. If I ever get another bike it'll be the 1290R.

Last edited:

Evil Sports

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Rod, Im serious. That 65mph sweetie is sitting in my garage down in Florida waiting for me equipped with a blue tooth speaker and Handlebar smart phone holder. Not to mention it was only $2900 new out the door.Boom!!