• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Fire-Pit on Pontoon Boat mod

bigwaves

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I like it. Good job 👍🏻. There’s plenty of room on that pontoon for a second and third fire pit.

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
To the naysayers, and general ignorance present, the lack of understanding and/or experiencing something always tends to promote a form of cancel culture, dismissal, rejection, and adverse reactions.
It’s not cancel culture, it’s a strange thing to see on a boat. It’s all in good fun.

1629221521714.jpeg

ChrisM

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
I saw this on my thread and was half hoping you'd start a thread so i could see the build process LOL! that is such a cool idea! Of course its dangerous, its a fire! its dangerous in the same way its dangerous to carry a loaded handgun in the glove compartment of your car. Can accidents happen? of course they can! will being responsible mitigate the risk of people getting injured? of course.

Definitely not something i would do, only because i dont have balls big enough to cut that much out of my boat ;) That would definitely extend the boating season here in Southern Canada that's for sure!
This is not something I would ever install in my jet boat which is mainly fiberglass.

ChrisM

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
I was thinking more about it getting hot under foot from the sun in the middle of the day, hadn't even considered after use.

Either way it's a cool (hot?) mod!
Yes it does. My Chaparral berber carpet gets roasting hot as well.

ChrisM

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
The tinkerer in me thinks this is awesome (not something I'd do perhaps, but still cool). The Floridian in me thinks additional heat on my boat would be miserable lol.
Living and mainly growing up in SW Florida, this is not something I would benefit from either. Here we will get down to the 20's, 30's for a month or so, seldom do we ever see snow, but last year we did dip to the upper teens, a first for me to see in the 18 years I've been living here. This add on is really best when temps drop to 50's or maybe 60's after sunset. Don't forget you still have to motor back somewhere, a dock, or launch, and obviously with the fire-pit turned off, so staying out on the water well enough into the winter season/temps, makes going home a bear.

ChrisM

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
Interesting mod for sure! I get why the naysayers are saying what they are saying....I might add a fume detector on the deck or near the gas tank since they aren't expensive. My primary concerns would be fume ignition, and then burns from the heated element (or lid).....but since @ChrisM says he's only boating with sober adults - should be ok....

Thanks for sharing!
I stay sober, lol, sometimes my guests do not, if that's the case, I don't run this thing. Keep in mind, we do get cold in the winter months, so this novelty has a limited window of use. The propane tank is located in the center stern/transom area, there are two vented compartments, port, and stern. All 3 areas are covered by the sun deck. The fuel tank, which I find more volitile than the propane cylinder, is in the starboard area. It's covered by aluminum sheet metal, and storage is avail on top of that sheet. Both shut off's are always utilized when the fire-pit is not in use. Tank, and appliance valve.
Pics of dismantled fence for a deep clean following purchase.
IMG_3327.JPG

IMG_3328.JPG

Last edited:

ChrisM

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
Only because the people who write the regs never imagined someone putting a fire pit on a boat.

:facepalm:
I''m not thinking there would be much difference in the type/source of fire/flames when comparing to a marine barbecue grill.

Dennis P

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Don't report this to the insurance co, I'm certain the policy will be Nul. There are other ways to make SomeMores o_O

ChrisM

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
I like it. Good job 👍🏻. There’s plenty of room on that pontoon for a second and third fire pit.
There is. I actually studied and plotted it's placement. I have a fiberglass hardtop over the mid and rear of the boat. Between the 2 front benches was the only place to install it, as excess heat accumulation under the roof was a no-go.
After researching the brand following my purchase, I learned that Lakes Craft had equipped my boat with the hardtop. It had an aftermarket bimini on it, but there was evidence that a tree or something had fallen on the boat damaging the roof, and denting the rear sun deck railing. I found another Lakes Craft pontoon for sale with an OMC I/O and the roof. I swapped the roof over, and sold the carcass of the second one.
It's become my Flintstones pontoon...

07_28_2016 (2).jpg

Img_4601.jpg

Img_3848.jpg

Last edited:

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
That top is awesome. Looks very retro.

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Awful lot of histrionics about this, but this is quite a bit less risky than a grill that has a significant grease flare up. Heck, one time I was about to toss my magma into the water because I was starting to get concerned. Biggest risk here is a burnt foot, these little firepits don't throw off that much flame, and with the valve at an easy reach, would be easily contained. It's sufficiently distanced from the seats and surrounding carpet, too.

I love the idea, but I'd rather have it at pedestal height. I recently bought a little tabletop pit for my porch that runs off the 1lb bottles, and the thought crossed my mind to insert it into the boat table (with it over the water) - but they just take way too long to cool off for it to be practical to use and store.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Have @HailMary make you a custom stanchion to fit our side tables mounts and you are good to go in the cockpit or on the swimdeck. Just sayin....

1629247674667.png

AboveTheBest

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
To the OP:

You my friend, are a real American hero.
That is badass

ChrisM

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
Awful lot of histrionics about this, but this is quite a bit less risky than a grill that has a significant grease flare up. Heck, one time I was about to toss my magma into the water because I was starting to get concerned. Biggest risk here is a burnt foot, these little firepits don't throw off that much flame, and with the valve at an easy reach, would be easily contained. It's sufficiently distanced from the seats and surrounding carpet, too.

I love the idea, but I'd rather have it at pedestal height. I recently bought a little tabletop pit for my porch that runs off the 1lb bottles, and the thought crossed my mind to insert it into the boat table (with it over the water) - but they just take way too long to cool off for it to be practical to use and store.
I have had much greater concerns about my grill as well, which is on a pedestal, and therefore not so quickly removed to extunguish a grease fire. I think the mis conception here is this is something you enjoy while stationary, and seated on the bench, you're not underway, Etc. If you are possibly underway, people are unseated, running about the deck, dogs present, babies crawling on the floor, then, yes, someone is getting burned. I couldn't the BTU rating in the manual, but after running the fire for an hour or so with little to no breeze, I have to turn the flow valve down on the the little control panel, as you will get toasty. I have a center table with stanchion for the rear wrap around seating, but that not only puts the flame, and radiant too high to benefit, I was concerned about heat build up under the fiberglass roof. It seems this accessory will garner reactions from both sides of the spectrum. It ended up being something I shared in the other thread to support my interest in a pontoon, and poke fun at BRP for not having a similar novelty. Either way I really enjoy it, and have no fears of it what sever.

Img_5693.jpg

IMG_4604.JPG

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I got the pic off of a Bennington Website I think.

Last edited:

FloatingFlame

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
FYI for anyone looking for one of these still we just launched ours! Specifically made for pontoon boats (however we've had a ton of interest for things like tailgates, cookouts, camping, ice fishing, ice).

1.jpg
DSC03272.JPG