• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

First Day Wakesurfing...AR190

Nauti-Nurse

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Nauti-Nurse Any more noise with the K&N filter mod?
I thought I read somewhere that it would be noticeably louder, but not sure any more.
And do you have a link for the filter you used?
There was some increase in noise, but not more than I could tolerate. I can still hear my stereo at full throttle lol. I can't find a link to the filter where i got it at Advance Auto but it is a 6in cone filter with a 3in opening.

Nauti-Nurse

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It's an acquired skill. @Nauti-Nurse has been at it a while. No judgement at all, we don't doubt your abilities.
Definitely no Judgement @Btown801 ! It took me 3 solid days just to get up and get a 50yrd ride in. Once your muscle memory and foot placement become consistent getting up is as easy as the surfboard. I'm certainly still eating the humble pie with it... I can ride for quite a while on its I'm honing in the elevation control but to really start surfing it... i have a little ways to go.

Btown801

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
@Nauti-Nurse I rented @J-RAD 's wake foil from him. I had the mast attached to the board as far back on the board as possible. I am not sure if the mast was attached to the fuselage at the forward setting, maybe he can answer that? Does a shorter or longer mast length make it easier to learn on? We tried it with 2 different front wings I believe the bigger one was for up close with a surf rope (which was harder). And we also tried it at wakeboard rope length with the smaller front wing. Watching your video makes me want to try it again. When you say "put that much weight on my front foot"... we got up with the nose up, so it sounds like we immediately need to get the nose down to stabilize once up?

Nauti-Nurse

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Nauti-Nurse I rented @J-RAD 's wake foil from him. I had the mast attached to the board as far back on the board as possible. I am not sure if the mast was attached to the fuselage at the forward setting, maybe he can answer that? Does a shorter or longer mast length make it easier to learn on? We tried it with 2 different front wings I believe the bigger one was for up close with a surf rope (which was harder). And we also tried it at wakeboard rope length with the smaller front wing. Watching your video makes me want to try it again. When you say "put that much weight on my front foot"... we got up with the nose up, so it sounds like we immediately need to get the nose down to stabilize once up?
The guy in my video who is up on the first wake ropeless is my friend Johnny. He was a great teacher as he is a kite foil instructor. He said the smaller mast is better to learn on but I didn't have that option, had to go with the 2ft one it came with. His kite foil is a 3ft mast and I am already itching to try that out! My wing was the Infinity 76cm. I found it great for both first and second wake as well as being easier to learn on due to increased lift. I also liked it at full length getting outside the wake a bit to just practice balance and elevation. One particular thing I noticed tho was the turbulence from the jet being stronger than most inboards, made it difficult to ride directly behind the boat. Mentioning the jet turbulence it is important to start off to the side of the jet on take off... man that wing really gets hammered and pushes it all over the place with the jet wash if you are in a straight line trying to get up. So for Johnnys instruction on getting up... when off to the side, keep slight tension on the rope, like our first throttle notch. keeping the board perpendicular to the boat reach over to the far rail and pull it up so the foil/bottom of board is pointing at the boat. I get my front foot on and crouch into position placing my back foot in place. As soon as I get my feet on the pull from the boat helps keep the board in place for a few seconds and I release the rail and get both hands to the rope. Heres where a good driver comes in play... seeing my or Johnnys second hand hit the rope we use a roll on throttle that isn't supper aggressive. From that point its much like a regular surfboard start but then you really gotta throw 80% of your weight to the front. Over and over and over and it just starts to click. And since it has... I gotta say its more enjoyable than the surfing behind MY 190! But that is due mostly to how much work and accessories to get my 190 to have a surf able wave.

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The mast was in the forward "A" position coming out of the wing. This gives out the least amount of lift.

It definitely takes what feels like an unnatural amount of pressure on the front foot. Your first goal is not to fly, but to get up. @Nauti-Nurse is giving you all the right instruction. Just a slow roll on the throttle from the driver up to 8-9mph until upper up and riding. Then it's a matter of communication with the driver to increase the speed to where the board will fly. This is one reason the smaller 68cm and 57cm wings are recommended for learning. They don't take flight quite as quickly.

For me, the shorter mast was only helpful to practice getting up on, it jus has less of a pendulum effect. But as soon as you're up, you'll quickly learn that the shorter mast breaches easily. The longer mast is more forgiving. The mast that's included with the current model you were riding is a 71cm (28") mast.

Nauti-Nurse

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
12hr night shifts in the NICU and another one to go couldn’t stop us from having fun this morning! Got some good foil time in thanks to @AJACHIM and crew! All smiles on no sleep. Love some early morning glass water... even tho it always feels like glass on a foil!

Attachments

AJACHIM

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
12hr night shifts in the NICU and another one to go couldn’t stop us from having fun this morning! Got some good foil time in thanks to @AJACHIM and crew! All smiles on no sleep. Love some early morning glass water... even tho it always feels like glass on a foil!
It was fun! But boy do I feel crazy without sleep

Nauti-Nurse

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have put a good bit of work into my AR19 to try and surf behind it... still very difficult to truly get a ropeless ride. I got a chance to go out with our local Tigé dealership on a ZX21... now I'm spoiled! What an awesome feeling! @AJACHIM and I have to try so hard behind our AR19 that I had the rope back in the boat in seconds on the first run! The wave was INCREDIBLE with 4,000lbs of ballast!!! I know its really not fair to compare that Tigé to my boat but wow I wish i could do that kind of surfing behind mine! For now i'm going to stick to mastering my foil behind my boat...and I'm happy with that! Beautiful day here On Lake Lanier GA. but i won't be getting to enjoy it on the water... so everyone else go get wet for me! LOL