• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

First fill-up on the water

Yes, agree and I will keep it close to the cap. I do not fill up to where it will be hanging.

My 2007 came with a plastic cap but of course I changed it to the alum billet cap. I keep the plastic one for a spare. I do like the small cable idea instead of the chain.

Anyone mod their screw on cap to a flip-open model from the newer boats?

Update *** - filled up at the station and went to pull the cap and float out. The cap pulled out and the float stayed lodged in the filler hose.... my luck. I then had to pull it out with pliers and a screw driver which was performed like a surgeon so that none of the pieces would fall into the tank.

It seems like my float dried up and became brittle but I am not going to chance it.

we lost our aluminum one the same way on the 2nd fill up. I was pissed.. so now I take it off carefully each time and place it in the cockpit. I like the floaty idea! always good ideas from this group of folks!

If the chain breaks, then how will the floatie save the cap? I think that putting anything down the tube is a recipe for disaster. If it falls into the tank, it would be a big job to extract.

Why not have a secondary line, like perhaps some fishing line or thin rope which you could wrap around the cap when its tightened? OR... I wonder if filling the voids with spray foam may give it enough buoyancy by itself??

@ncnmra, agree that putting anything in the fuel filler is a recipe for disaster since it was a disaster. No more.... I would rather lose my cap and I will just be more careful.

Did my first fuel up on the water today. I told my wife that we have to make sure we secure the cap and that I was paranoid after reading this thread. Man, was I pleasantly surprised when I saw the cap on my Chaparral.

GOPR0002.JPG

Did my first fuel up on the water today. I told my wife that we have to make sure we secure the cap and that I was paranoid after reading this thread. Man, was I pleasantly surprised when I saw the cap on my Chaparral.

View attachment 41869
Nice. That's a huge step up from my plastic "sinker".

I usually uncap myself when I fill up. This past weekend I was at the gas dock and was grabbing my wallet out of my backpack when I heard, "Sir, can you please take the gas cap off? We're not allowed to do it." I chuckled and thought of this thread!

[USERGROUP=3]@Administrative[/USERGROUP] please check above for SPAM account?

Back