• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

First time buying a boat...and it'll be brand new. Help.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Car manufacturers are giving away cars .. no payments for 90 days and 0% interest for 84 months. When have you ever seen that? The point is: Manufacturers know that if they don't empty inventory now then they will be stuck with cars. The same is going with boats. I heard in the beginning that yamaha started offering $2k off and I knew that was just the beginning .. yesterday they start putting financing deals on their website. The financing deals aren't that great, but that might be because they don't have the same leverage as Dodge, GM, Honda, etc. I think if you go to the dealer and push hard then you can walk away with a great deal on a showroom model. I told this to someone on Facebook that was looking at an old SX192 and he bought a AR190 that same day.
The auto and boat industry are very different. The auto industry is reacting to a near 0% prime rate, and hoping that by throwing everything they've got at it right now, they can salvage this quarter. They've also been on a downward slide for a year now, as they've pushed in expensive tech for fuel economy that has pushed buyers out. Used cars are doing insanely well compared to new ones as a result.

Boats, there is a limited quantity of them out there, they tool up to make a set amount, gs as many as possible for cars. The people overall buying new boats are in a much higher income bracket than new cars. Look how many here tow their boats with 70k trucks.

My opinion, buy a new truck and a used boat.

Mitchsaw

Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
NA
The auto and boat industry are very different. The auto industry is reacting to a near 0% prime rate, and hoping that by throwing everything they've got at it right now, they can salvage this quarter. They've also been on a downward slide for a year now, as they've pushed in expensive tech for fuel economy that has pushed buyers out. Used cars are doing insanely well compared to new ones as a result.

Boats, there is a limited quantity of them out there, they tool up to make a set amount, gs as many as possible for cars. The people overall buying new boats are in a much higher income bracket than new cars. Look how many here tow their boats with 70k trucks.

Love your opinion. And understand totally about the difference now.

This was honestly a plan of mine; I seriously cannot find a used boat around me worth while.
I've searched Craigslist, dealers, and more. Even posted on Facebook marketplace.

Part of my issue is wanting a Yamaha more than anything else, I had a lot of people try to sell me their 2009 Mastercraft's & more.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
These boats are rare. We have a lot of them around me and I traveled across the state for mine. There's several places that list boats, you just have to be prepared to travel to check them out and buy. The forum classifieds have some of the best deals I have ever seen, guys here like to baby them and do a lot of great work then sell them cheap, go figure.

If it makes you feel better, it's even harder to find the seadoo boats, I wanted a seadoo and ended up in a Yamaha because they were available. I also am very glad that I ended up with my Yamaha.

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
As the title says, I have decided I'm going to pick up a Yamaha 195S while they have their April deal going on.

This is my FIRST ever boat, and I am choosing to buy brand new.

Being as I'm new to this industry, what are some things I should go to the dealer expecting? I will never pay full price.
Do any of you have any good advice for me to use as leverage? Should I request certain things?

One thing I can already say I'm going to want is tower speakers, is it common to have them throw things like this in? What were you given when you bought?

I appreciate you all!
I would go for it on negotiation. Like most said and I agree that pre season they are hard pressed to negotiate. With the current climate of the economy, who knows what they will do to remove inventory during these times. I bought a leftover new boat and got a new 2015 sx 210 for 33k. Of course there have been price increases since then, but who knows. Its worth a try.

Ratket

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I Recommend waiting. The Economy is getting rocked and it’s not going to stop. As stated early, Gm/Ford/FCA/ they are all scrambling to move inventory with Massive incentives. Boating is More recreational, and I think the power sport manufacturers are going to jump on board, especially as the consumers realize more and more Just how serious this is and what it’s going to do in the Months to come. Come May/June the reality should be pretty well set and Manufactures will have had to made the choice of take a little loss and Move product or Hold firm to pricing and not move as much product. Personally, we needed a second car, as soon as Jeep announced 0% 84 months, we went and bought a new Jeep. While the MSRP may not change, the dealer may be willing to do more for “ Throwing in stuff with the sale” to keep their products moving. Good luck, Keep is posted.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Also, about the delivery, that is awesome that people on here are passionate enough about these things to do such a thing!
I'm also actually in the market right now for a truck - I don't even own one myself, I'd be using my Dad's Escalade to pull, so I wouldn't have access to it 24/7.
Honestly, If you find one you want to look at/buy and need a tow vehicle to get it home. Let someone here know. There are many that would help look if it's in a far away place (say Florida, or North Carolina). Local owner looks at it, gives it the seal of approval, you wire a deposit to owner to hold it until you can get there with a truck. You can typically make a weekend out of acquiring a vehicle of any kind. Bought my TBSS out of Winnipeg, buddy bought an Audi S6 out of NJ. I drove to Cincy to buy my current truck. Made a trip to Cary, NC once to pickup a car for a friend and drive it home. Take a little bit of logistical leg work, but getting something home from out of town is not overly difficult.

If it's in the Louisville Metro area, I'll be happy to look at it (if you can find one). Likewise, within a few hours drive, I'll be happy to go with you to look, and drag it home if needed. Just cover the fuel and snacks :D

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length

They're different industries, but they both have to show profits at the end of each quarter. Both are going to get hit equally hard during this pandemic because the higher income bracket is just as vulnerable as the lower income bracket when it comes to recessions. I actually think that the higher income bracket is less likely to spend money during a down turn. Either way, i'm sure now is a good time to buy a boat if someone has enough of a safety net to do it.

EDIT: Edited because I got a little off topic :)

Last edited:

Eric S.

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I can't speak to deals really since when we got the 242 last year new, it was discounted from being a 2018 model from the New England boat show from over the previous winter, but the price wasn't negotiable beyond that. I came to the 242 after having an I/O Four Winns for more than 10 years, which was my first boat, purchased used, and that boat was old enough to order a drink at a bar legally. Some general thoughts and tips however:

- Trailer towing is always an adventure - be careful with the swing radius. Years ago with the Four Winns, I pulled into a parking lot to buy grill food, and pulled the boat into a light pole as I rounded a corner ripping the fender off the trailer and putting a gouge in the boat that I had to later repair. That sucked.
- Related to towing, for whatever reason, people ALWAYS pull out in front of you. Just assume they will do it. I let off the gas whenever I see someone looking to pull into the road from a side street. 7 out of 10 times, they pull out and cut me off.
- Suggest making a checklist and following it when you launch and retrieve the boat. Everyone at some point sticks their boat in the water at the ramp missing the drain plug in the back. Or forgetting to undo the rear tie down straps. I did both with the Four Winns. Sucks when the boat is 20+ years old. Sucks more with a new boat.
- Don't let your friends drive the boat if you aren't paying attention. For whatever reason, non boaters always want to drive the boat real close to the shore, especially in lakes. This is bad. Rocks are bad. With the Four Winns, that was a broken prop and bent prop shaft and a $1400 bill. And that was going idle forward, maybe 5 mph max. Granted there's nothing hanging down on the Yamaha but hull fiberglass damage is bad too.
- Consider buying an extra table leg and leg support from the dealer. Yes, it's way overpriced, but you can attach a grill to it and grill off the back using the table leg holder. Makes me the envy of the sandbar when I break out the steak tips.....
- Having had an I/O for more than a decade, I can tell you that I would not want to go back to an I/O having now owned a jet. And having sat in the other boats at the boat show, the Yamaha (to me) has a very good build quality (though the digital touch screen makes me wonder about how it will be in 15 years, but.....)
- Lastly - boat people are friendly. Be sure to wave when you boat on by.

marcham

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Being your first boat, I would suggest you ask for an in water demo before putting any money down, and bring the whole family!

They are what I would say is a compromise design. They do not excel at anything but are fairly multipurpose.

One area to be aware is that even at idle, the impeller is spinning thus there is a risk of ingesting ski ropes and other debris.

As far as purchase, you have a better chance of negotiating accessories at dealer cost. I would also ask for the 1st (10hr) service to be thrown in unless you are handy.

Ask for an in water orientation after purchase to include launching, docking and recovery.

Don't forget to budget a few grand for tubes, wakeboards, ropes, lifejackets and minimum necessary USCG safety equipment (it adds up quick). I'm in for 4000 CAD in the last month for 3 boards, a few boat mods (2nd battery, fishfinder) and a bit of safety gear.

Have fun!

Last edited:

Mitchsaw

Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
NA
I can't speak to deals really since when we got the 242 last year new, it was discounted from being a 2018 model from the New England boat show from over the previous winter, but the price wasn't negotiable beyond that. I came to the 242 after having an I/O Four Winns for more than 10 years, which was my first boat, purchased used, and that boat was old enough to order a drink at a bar legally. Some general thoughts and tips however:

- Trailer towing is always an adventure - be careful with the swing radius. Years ago with the Four Winns, I pulled into a parking lot to buy grill food, and pulled the boat into a light pole as I rounded a corner ripping the fender off the trailer and putting a gouge in the boat that I had to later repair. That sucked.
- Related to towing, for whatever reason, people ALWAYS pull out in front of you. Just assume they will do it. I let off the gas whenever I see someone looking to pull into the road from a side street. 7 out of 10 times, they pull out and cut me off.
- Suggest making a checklist and following it when you launch and retrieve the boat. Everyone at some point sticks their boat in the water at the ramp missing the drain plug in the back. Or forgetting to undo the rear tie down straps. I did both with the Four Winns. Sucks when the boat is 20+ years old. Sucks more with a new boat.
- Don't let your friends drive the boat if you aren't paying attention. For whatever reason, non boaters always want to drive the boat real close to the shore, especially in lakes. This is bad. Rocks are bad. With the Four Winns, that was a broken prop and bent prop shaft and a $1400 bill. And that was going idle forward, maybe 5 mph max. Granted there's nothing hanging down on the Yamaha but hull fiberglass damage is bad too.
- Consider buying an extra table leg and leg support from the dealer. Yes, it's way overpriced, but you can attach a grill to it and grill off the back using the table leg holder. Makes me the envy of the sandbar when I break out the steak tips.....
- Having had an I/O for more than a decade, I can tell you that I would not want to go back to an I/O having now owned a jet. And having sat in the other boats at the boat show, the Yamaha (to me) has a very good build quality (though the digital touch screen makes me wonder about how it will be in 15 years, but.....)
- Lastly - boat people are friendly. Be sure to wave when you boat on by.
I appreciate the towing advice!

Not going to lie, if there's ANYTHING I'm semi-nervous about, it's 100% towing. I will be fine on the water. Towing is terrifying. Just the thought of it.

Chevyguy2021

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

Not going to lie, if there's ANYTHING I'm semi-nervous about, it's 100% towing. I will be fine on the water. Towing is terrifying. Just the thought of it.
Its gets better. We bought our boat last year and every time I tow i feel more confident.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length

I was the same way. Buying advice is spot on for this thread but not a lot of towing advice. Once you own the boat, take it out to a boat ramp on a weekday around 10-11am (when it should be pretty dead). Practice backing up from multiple different angles. Learn how to park with the trailer straight behind you. The most important advice is to be patient. Never rush, try not to get flustered, and try to ignore everyone else. I quickly learned I back up much better when everyone else shuts up instead of telling me what to do. Patience is the best virtue when boating/trailering. I do not have that trait but I learned it solely for my boating days. My sales guy told me to always have a case of beer on hand in case I am taking too long - toss a beer to whoever is waiting behind you. Practice makes perfect but you won't become a pro after a few hours of practice. I still have days where I look like I have no idea what I am doing, and other days it looks like I've been doing it for 20 years (going on my third season now). Use your head instead of the back-up camera - I think that was my biggest mistake at first. Using my mirrors and turning my head helped so much more than trying to do it by the camera.

Once you feel comfortable with backing up the trailer, practice loading and un-loading the boat. We used to walk the boat on and off with ropes. Good option for beginners and two people, so I would suggest starting there.

From there I would practice navigating around the dock. Remember patience is key, and only go as fast you are willing to hit the dock. For me that means neutral-reverse and no clicks on "no wake mode", basically the slowest in reverse you can go. When coming into the dock from about 50-100 yards, I do a lot of forward neutral - to neutral - back to forward neutral. This gets you in nice and slow, if you hit anything it is almost zero damage and allows your crew to tie up easily. A good practice in this regard would probably be to launch the boat, then drive it over to the loading/side dock, and then back to the ramp dock a few times.

Once you get real comfortable you can practice dropping a person off to go get the truck and then you drive the boat on the trailer. In this regard I will the truck driver (someone I trust to back up a trailer) on the back of the boat, I spin the ass end around to the end of the dock and he hops off. This is great because you never tie up, and shouldn't hold a ramp up for longer than 60 seconds. Which brings me to my next point: Learn ramp/dock etiquette!!

The most annoying thing is someone taking their sweet time on a ramp on a busy day (due to incompetence) Get in and get out as quick as possible (while taking your time). Don't launch your boat THEN load everything. Before you launch, pull to the side, check your plugs, remove tie downs, load all your crap, etc. Once you launch the boat, pull out of the ramp and park the truck. Ideally while you do this someone should drive the boat over to the loading dock. On the flip side when you come back, don't unload the boat at the dock. Get it on the truck, pull out of the ramp and into a parking space. Unload and get the boat back read for trailering from the parking spot. Do not sit in the ramp putting your straps back on.

As a side note, highly recommend some Cobra Fins to help with slow speed steering, makes a pretty big difference. For a few hundred bucks it is well worth it on a $40k investment.

Other than that, driving the boat on open water, and driving forward with a trailer is pretty darn straight forward. Enjoy and good luck!

Oh yeah - go get a truck ASAP! Last thing you want to do is rely on someone else. RAM keeps winning truck of the year with their new model, I love mine. Pretty sure you can get them for stupid cheap right now.

marcham

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Another thing. A new boat is not like a new car. It's more like a new house. As part of commissioning, it's not unusual to find small things here and there that need adjustment. For a 20 footer that usually means to look out for loose nuts and bolts, loose clamps, fix a small nick in gel coat, finding assembly debris in the bilge that can block pumps, etc... It's a good idea to check the engine compartment and bilge every hour for leaks and check important connections prior to launching.

Last edited:

Mitchsaw

Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
NA
I was the same way. Buying advice is spot on for this thread but not a lot of towing advice. Once you own the boat, take it out to a boat ramp on a weekday around 10-11am (when it should be pretty dead). Practice backing up from multiple different angles. Learn how to park with the trailer straight behind you. The most important advice is to be patient. Never rush, try not to get flustered, and try to ignore everyone else. I quickly learned I back up much better when everyone else shuts up instead of telling me what to do. Patience is the best virtue when boating/trailering. I do not have that trait but I learned it solely for my boating days. My sales guy told me to always have a case of beer on hand in case I am taking too long - toss a beer to whoever is waiting behind you. Practice makes perfect but you won't become a pro after a few hours of practice. I still have days where I look like I have no idea what I am doing, and other days it looks like I've been doing it for 20 years (going on my third season now). Use your head instead of the back-up camera - I think that was my biggest mistake at first. Using my mirrors and turning my head helped so much more than trying to do it by the camera.

Once you feel comfortable with backing up the trailer, practice loading and un-loading the boat. We used to walk the boat on and off with ropes. Good option for beginners and two people, so I would suggest starting there.

From there I would practice navigating around the dock. Remember patience is key, and only go as fast you are willing to hit the dock. For me that means neutral-reverse and no clicks on "no wake mode", basically the slowest in reverse you can go. When coming into the dock from about 50-100 yards, I do a lot of forward neutral - to neutral - back to forward neutral. This gets you in nice and slow, if you hit anything it is almost zero damage and allows your crew to tie up easily. A good practice in this regard would probably be to launch the boat, then drive it over to the loading/side dock, and then back to the ramp dock a few times.

Once you get real comfortable you can practice dropping a person off to go get the truck and then you drive the boat on the trailer. In this regard I will the truck driver (someone I trust to back up a trailer) on the back of the boat, I spin the ass end around to the end of the dock and he hops off. This is great because you never tie up, and shouldn't hold a ramp up for longer than 60 seconds. Which brings me to my next point: Learn ramp/dock etiquette!!

The most annoying thing is someone taking their sweet time on a ramp on a busy day (due to incompetence) Get in and get out as quick as possible (while taking your time). Don't launch your boat THEN load everything. Before you launch, pull to the side, check your plugs, remove tie downs, load all your crap, etc. Once you launch the boat, pull out of the ramp and park the truck. Ideally while you do this someone should drive the boat over to the loading dock. On the flip side when you come back, don't unload the boat at the dock. Get it on the truck, pull out of the ramp and into a parking space. Unload and get the boat back read for trailering from the parking spot. Do not sit in the ramp putting your straps back on.

As a side note, highly recommend some Cobra Fins to help with slow speed steering, makes a pretty big difference. For a few hundred bucks it is well worth it on a $40k investment.

Other than that, driving the boat on open water, and driving forward with a trailer is pretty darn straight forward. Enjoy and good luck!

Oh yeah - go get a truck ASAP! Last thing you want to do is rely on someone else. RAM keeps winning truck of the year with their new model, I love mine. Pretty sure you can get them for stupid cheap right now.
This was a great read, and great advice! Some of this stuff I never thought about. I know how flustering it can be (to me ESPECIALLY,) when you feel like you're holding other people up. Might have to put a sticker on the front of my truck I get reading, "I'm a rookie, honk your horn twice for a free beer for waiting!" LOL.

Thanks a ton!

And about the RAM - I actually am going to go look at one this weekend; the 0% 84 MO they're offering right now is absolutely ABSURD, and a lot of the lots around Cincinnati have plenty of 2019s to wheel and deal on.

What trim do you have, might I ask? I've always been a Ford/Chevy fan, never thought about Dodge, but a cousin of mine has one and it's gorgeous, so I'm very open minded to them.

Mitchsaw

Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
NA
So just an update...

There have been multiple patrons on here that suggest me going the used route, no matter how far away the boat is.
It has 100% opened my mind.

I'm not entirely sure I'll be going the brand new 195S route now, even though the deals are crazy. I'll keep you updated...

Chevyguy2021

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
So just an update...

There have been multiple patrons on here that suggest me going the used route, no matter how far away the boat is.
It has 100% opened my mind.

I'm not entirely sure I'll be going the brand new 195S route now, even though the deals are crazy. I'll keep you updated...
Go used. This will likely not be your last boat (most people upgrade or change after a few years). Save the cash for mods and cars and boat stuff.

Mitchsaw

Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
NA
Go used. This will likely not be your last boat (most people upgrade or change after a few years). Save the cash for mods and cars and boat stuff.
Any advice on what to look for with a used boat?

I'm totally & admittedly clueless when it comes down to it, which is why I wanted to buy a brand new one. I hoped to just let a manufacturer's warranty take care of anything I wouldn't be able to identify in a used boat right off the bat.

bobbie

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I would be looking for a 21 ft AR or 212X personally. You can usually see how someone treats their boat in about 5 seconds. I would take it to a mechanic to check compression and do a pre purchase inspection. so many people might be wanting to dump their boats if they lost their job during the last few weeks.

marcham

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Any advice on what to look for with a used boat?

I'm totally & admittedly clueless when it comes down to it, which is why I wanted to buy a brand new one. I hoped to just let a manufacturer's warranty take care of anything I wouldn't be able to identify in a used boat right off the bat.
1. Proof of maintenance. Either dealer receipts or oil and filter receipts.

2. In water test

3. Cylinder compression check

4. Bring a friend with you who's been around boats a long time.

Dan B

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
As the title says, I have decided I'm going to pick up a Yamaha 195S while they have their April deal going on.

This is my FIRST ever boat, and I am choosing to buy brand new.

Being as I'm new to this industry, what are some things I should go to the dealer expecting? I will never pay full price.
Do any of you have any good advice for me to use as leverage? Should I request certain things?

One thing I can already say I'm going to want is tower speakers, is it common to have them throw things like this in? What were you given when you bought?

I appreciate you all!
Well our dealer never budged off our sx 190 price. It was already lower then other dealers. But they did give us a $500 in store credit that we used to buy our gear, tube, rope, bumpers, life jackets and such. Try that route if they won’t budge.