• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

First time buying a boat...and it'll be brand new. Help.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Any advice on what to look for with a used boat?

I'm totally & admittedly clueless when it comes down to it, which is why I wanted to buy a brand new one. I hoped to just let a manufacturer's warranty take care of anything I wouldn't be able to identify in a used boat right off the bat.
Depends on your skill set. If you're capable of fixing some things yourself, requirements go down.

Do get an inspection and water trial. Have them check engine hours and compression. Try to go to a dealer and check out the sizes. You may fine 19ft isn't enough for your intended use.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
This was a great read, and great advice! Some of this stuff I never thought about. I know how flustering it can be (to me ESPECIALLY,) when you feel like you're holding other people up. Might have to put a sticker on the front of my truck I get reading, "I'm a rookie, honk your horn twice for a free beer for waiting!" LOL.

Thanks a ton!

And about the RAM - I actually am going to go look at one this weekend; the 0% 84 MO they're offering right now is absolutely ABSURD, and a lot of the lots around Cincinnati have plenty of 2019s to wheel and deal on.

What trim do you have, might I ask? I've always been a Ford/Chevy fan, never thought about Dodge, but a cousin of mine has one and it's gorgeous, so I'm very open minded to them.
I have Longhorn 4x4, pretty much as loaded as it gets. The Chevy/GMCs aren’t even in the ballpark, especially on the inside.Ford makes a nice truck with some nice options but IMO the Ram still blows it away, especially on the interior. The Ram has won worlds top 10 interiors (all segments) two years now. The next gen F150 should give it a good run for its money.

Chaunceybland

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
With the 1.9% for 60 months, is that the entirety of the loan with that deal? Or can you stretch it out to 180 months at another rate after the 60 months at 1.9%? I'm new to this and looking as well. I'm looking at new and used. I may take some of you up on that local inspection deal! 0 used Yamahas in my area.

OCMD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
1. Proof of maintenance. Either dealer receipts or oil and filter receipts.

2. In water test

3. Cylinder compression check

4. Bring a friend with you who's been around boats a long time.

Or a Captain's Log as I have on my boat. Documented every service (only twice a year. winterization/spring start up). Every single outing recorded. People on board. Where we went. What we did. Non ethanol gas of course - every trip - receipt stapled to the log page. This is how I know I got out ONCE in 2019! And the projection for 2020 looks dire, since our Governor shut down recreational boating! Damn, maybe it is time to sell! Kids are gone and I don't use it anymore!

Mitchsaw

Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
NA
With the 1.9% for 60 months, is that the entirety of the loan with that deal? Or can you stretch it out to 180 months at another rate after the 60 months at 1.9%? I'm new to this and looking as well. I'm looking at new and used. I may take some of you up on that local inspection deal! 0 used Yamahas in my area.
The 1.9% and 60 months was what was given to me on my Honda, not anything Yamaha related, unfortunately.

Mitchsaw

Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
NA
Or a Captain's Log as I have on my boat. Documented every service (only twice a year. winterization/spring start up). Every single outing recorded. People on board. Where we went. What we did. Non ethanol gas of course - every trip - receipt stapled to the log page. This is how I know I got out ONCE in 2019! And the projection for 2020 looks dire, since our Governor shut down recreational boating! Damn, maybe it is time to sell! Kids are gone and I don't use it anymore!
If Kentucky/Ohio ban recreational boating.. I will be absolutely PISSED. That's the main reason I even want a boat this year - to make sure my summer isn't absolutely ruined. They've already cancelled baseball for christ sake!

OrangeTJ

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Another thing. A new boat is not like a new car. It's more like a new house. As part of commissioning, it's not unusual to find small things here and there that need adjustment. For a 20 footer that usually means to look out for loose nuts and bolts, loose clamps, fix a small nick in gel coat, finding assembly debris in the bilge that can block pumps, etc... It's a good idea to check the engine compartment and bilge every hour for leaks and check important connections prior to launching.
This is a GREAT point that bears repeating. Buying a brand new boat does not provide nearly the same assurance of "trouble free" as buying a new car. In fact, a boat that somebody has owned and taken care of for a couple of years is probably more likely to have had any manufacturing defects resolved under warranty and be as close to perfect as it will ever get than a brand new one from the factory. The quality control and manufacturing process precision aren't even in the same ballpark between automotive and boat making industries. The engines themselves are pretty much always good from the factory (across brands), but everything else is subject to some level of fit/finish imperfection. The same holds true for 6 figure wakeboats and high-end cruisers from the most highly regarded builders as it does for more "budget friendly" boats. It can be frustrating if you have the mindset that "I spent $X and for that much money I expect it to be perfect"....heck it can be frustrating even without that. Boats, in general, require more committment from their owners than cars do.

Chevyguy2021

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Any advice on what to look for with a used boat?

I'm totally & admittedly clueless when it comes down to it, which is why I wanted to buy a brand new one. I hoped to just let a manufacturer's warranty take care of anything I wouldn't be able to identify in a used boat right off the bat.
Do a water test. Do not buy a bot without taking it out. Also look at it out of the water to see "hidden damage". Look around and make sure to verify the engine hours. We drove 4 hours to VA to buy our 212X. Glad we did.

Mitchsaw

Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
NA
Do a water test. Do not buy a bot without taking it out. Also look at it out of the water to see "hidden damage". Look around and make sure to verify the engine hours. We drove 4 hours to VA to buy our 212X. Glad we did.
What are some things to look at/for while on the water? Other than the obvious like smoke/etc

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Imo... Leaks and that it hits max revs.

OrangeTJ

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
What are some things to look at/for while on the water? Other than the obvious like smoke/etc
Smooth response to steering and throttle, fires up without issue, idles smoothly, runs cleanly through the rpm range, hits and maintains max rpm, gauges all work, lights work.

marcham

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Starts on 1st try when cold,
No leaks,
No smoke,
Balanced and friction free steering,
Shifting fwd, neutral, reverse
Max RPM
Smooth operation at idle and various rpm
All gauges work
All alarms work
Bilge pump works (man and auto)
Lights
Horn
Radio and all speakers
Check oil after testing (look for water contamination)
No oil / temp alarms after a few minutes near max rpm
Battery charge voltage at idle and under various loads
No oil / water leaks from engine or muffler
Cooking water outflow from pilot ports
Check the upholstery
Look in every hatch and access cover with a flashlight (crawl in where possible)
Look for mice damage to wiring
Look for signs of hull repair
Do all the adjustable chairs work?
Look for dings / scratches at common areas: bow, along sides at dock height.
Look at the keel, has the boat been beached? Is gel coat warm through?
Smell the oil (gas or burned smell?)
After pulling it out of the water, how much water is draining out (a few cups is nothing to worry about, a gallon or more is not normal.

Are they the original owner? Why are they selling?

Even when buying new, I check most of the above. There are many checklists available online.

Sea trials are usually conducted after both parties have agreed on a price. Be aware though that if you have no boating experience, they may not let you drive.

Stevenpigsooie

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
This is a GREAT point that bears repeating. Buying a brand new boat does not provide nearly the same assurance of "trouble free" as buying a new car. In fact, a boat that somebody has owned and taken care of for a couple of years is probably more likely to have had any manufacturing defects resolved under warranty and be as close to perfect as it will ever get than a brand new one from the factory. The quality control and manufacturing process precision aren't even in the same ballpark between automotive and boat making industries. The engines themselves are pretty much always good from the factory (across brands), but everything else is subject to some level of fit/finish imperfection. The same holds true for 6 figure wakeboats and high-end cruisers from the most highly regarded builders as it does for more "budget friendly" boats. It can be frustrating if you have the mindset that "I spent $X and for that much money I expect it to be perfect"....heck it can be frustrating even without that. Boats, in general, require more committment from their owners than cars do.
This is a great point. A meticulous boat owner, and you can find many available, will have their boat running great and also will have done several needed mods. My 2016 is significantly better now than it was brand new from the factory.

C.Lomeli

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Other
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
@Mitchsaw ... any updates?
wondering what experience you had at Yamaha with boat availability (195S) and financing

OCMD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
This was a great read, and great advice! Some of this stuff I never thought about. I know how flustering it can be (to me ESPECIALLY,) when you feel like you're holding other people up. Might have to put a sticker on the front of my truck I get reading, "I'm a rookie, honk your horn twice for a free beer for waiting!" LOL.

Thanks a ton!

And about the RAM - I actually am going to go look at one this weekend; the 0% 84 MO they're offering right now is absolutely ABSURD, and a lot of the lots around Cincinnati have plenty of 2019s to wheel and deal on.

What trim do you have, might I ask? I've always been a Ford/Chevy fan, never thought about Dodge, but a cousin of mine has one and it's gorgeous, so I'm very open minded to them.

Get the Ram. I have owned 2 Silverados in the past 35 years, was a Chevy guy all the way. Last summer I rented a Ford, Toyota, Chevy, Ram PUs and drove them each to Florida/MD and back, moving stuff. Brand new rentals. Toyota tundra awesome but rode like a truck and very expensive. Ford F150 complete garbage, less than 5000 miles on it and got stopped for lights out many times because there was an electrical short somewhere - a brand new truck? Please. Plus it just seemed cheap with too many electrical gadgets that were failng. The Chevy was a Chevy and I was set in my ways and they never gave me trouble....then I drove a Ram Big Horn Hemi. No looking back, and they were giving them away last summer. I hate to see what they are giving them away for now. Don't look back. My Ram is the best truck I have driven, without question. It took alot to get me away from the old reliable Silverados I owned, but I am now sold.

Sixgunz

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
There are deals to be had. We got very lucky on ours. Our local dealer was MSRP plus fees. We found an out of state dealer that discounted a new 2020 by over $6k. Plus, we got no interest & no payments for 6 months, then 3.99% apr for the duration of the loan. Plus, the tax rate at my local dealer is just South of 9%...the tax rate where we bought it was 7.7%. In total, we saved just shy of $9,000 by shopping around.

That being said, the week we bought ours it seemed everyone woke up and wanted a boat - the out of state dealer sold more boats in a few days than he had in over a month. He brought the price back up to MSRP on our model (AR240) but honored what he quoted us.

If you buy new, ask if the boat comes with a Yamaha "new boaters kit." If it does, you won't *need* to buy hardly any accessories under the gun, so to speak. Make sure the boat has a fire extinguisher, a "throwable" life preserver and enough life vests for all passengers aboard. If you plan on towing someone on a board or tube, make sure you have an orange flag on a stick that a spotter can wave around when he/she falls down in the water. Also, you have to apply your unique boating numbers before taking it out (Wal-Mart sells the number/letter kits, but you have to get the yearly state sticker at a gov't office). You can buy most "common" boat stuff at Wal-Mart (at least where I live) - for a LOT less than what dealers charge. You can buy knee boards and wake boards on Craigslist and OfferUp for way less than new.

This is our second Yamaha boat and we spent quite a bit on accessories we hadn't anticipated because it was new. Our first boat was used and came with everything.