• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

First time on Florida's Open Water, Chop Scared the Crap Outta Me!

FLBulldogger

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Been down in here on the SunCoast for 10 yrs now and boating since then. We have gone out of Desoto but mainly out of Palmetto, BUT our rule of thumb is to watch the NWS forecast then dive further down to this FORECAST. We do not venture out with winds forecast above 15 or sea state above light chop, as mentioned above without trim tabs its going to be rough and can be scary. Also one of the best things you can invest in is a VHF radio, with a WX alert and monitor it while out. The weather here changes fast and can be dangerous if you are not constantly montoring and being aware of the situation. Kudos to you for being wise enough to turn around and get to safety. I can't tell you the number of times we started out and then turned around at the mouth of the Manatee and Tampa Bay!

Toby

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Send it... I havent been down there in long time.

In fact last time I was living st home. We were trying to outrun a storm... we ended up just dealing with it.

Windy and sail flow I think are 2 other good apps that show wind direction/gust/wave weight/tide
We have had good luck with those apps as well. With vhf, etc. Especially during afternoon storm season. Our over/under is normally 3pm on Sundays to head back before the sea breeze storms line up in summer. Works out time wise to get the boats pulled, cleaned, and put away. Have to constantly monitor it out here though.

isitsummeryet

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thank you everyone with their inputs! I will be watching the weather on those apps like a hawk.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
You know how big the skyway bridge is, well here is a storm rolling in fast, it happens a lot here, I was out 16 miles in a 19 foot boat in a worse one that that with only a compass and a Loran to get me back ONCE !!! It cured me of venturing that far off shore in that small of a boat.
But that was 35 years ago, Florida has RUINED the recreational fishing to the point that I quit fishing several years ago.

So no need to go out there now.

Attachments

isitsummeryet

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ok last question I promise, does anyone know where I can get the Trim Tabs installed in Sarasota/Bradenton/Clearwater/Tampa area? I am doing the group buy thing with ALC controller but no way I am drilling into the underside of the boat. I am brand new here (less than a week old) so I don't know much. I googled around but didn't come up with anything solid.

FX195

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It's a smoother ride if one uses the Kingfish Boat Ramp or Coquina Beach (currently closed) on Anna Maria.

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Ok last question I promise, does anyone know where I can get the Trim Tabs installed in Sarasota/Bradenton/Clearwater/Tampa area? I am doing the group buy thing with ALC controller but no way I am drilling into the underside of the boat. I am brand new here (less than a week old) so I don't know much. I googled around but didn't come up with anything solid.
I would call Cycle Springs in Clearwater (ask for Brandon) or Barney's in St Pete.

M6cabriolet

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
When I picked up my boat in FL and went for a test drive there was a small craft warning. 4 to 7 ft seas. Here is a video....I was only doing 10mph and the video doesn't do it justice but it was really rough. I was super impressed with how it handled though in that kind of chop. It wasn't unsafe but it just was not pleasurable lol.

isitsummeryet

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@M6cabriolet wow man your poor wife and kid getting thrown around on those waves lol. Brave family you guys are! I am chicken shit and won't go out in those conditions.

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
i have a similar boat and keep boating to 2' max which means some waves will hit 3'. I also watch the wind since that usually correlates to the waves so 15mph or less is best. I boat in the bay though and what you are in is expert water.... Just watch the weather and I think it sounds like you are new to boating which is part of it. It will get more comfortable and it is even more comfortable when you don't have people on board that arent used to it. My son and I enjoy the rough conditions so long as we can jump and slam a bit which gives me a better feel for what it is capable of.

Like taking a car to the track and pushing it... everyone should do that.