• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

First time out and I hit the damn dock

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I recommend a steering system (@Cobra Jet Steering LLC ) and then take a day off and go out while the ramp is empty to practice for an hour or two.

Best advise is go as slow as your willing to hit something. Other than that, come in with your nose at 45 degrees to where you want it, then turn the wheel to the dock, put it in reverse and give it some light thrust.

oramac

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Two things come to mind for unsolicited advice. One, the Bimini top can work against you when trying to control the boat in the wind, and 2) if you have a choice of docking on the outer rails of a dock or going directly into a slip, the outside rail is much more user friendly, at least it is for me. Sometimes the wind and current can just push you right up against it instead of having to navigate speed and control into a slip.
This! 👆👆👆 I took my boat out for the first time this weekend as well. 20 mph steady winds with 30+ gusts. I would get the bow of the boat into the slip, then the wind would grab the rear of the boat and swing me right back out. I went to the end rail of the dock, and I let the wind work for me instead of against me, and drift me in. Heavy winds suck regardless of the boat type. My 18' I/O, with a relatively low free board, was a PITA to dock in high winds, too. This 21' boat is like a sail by comparison. I can't wait to get out on a calm day to see what the handling is really like. Also, fenders. Many fenders. LOL

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
So visible cause of the white. I appreciate the comments. Could be on YouTube hard to watch a grown man cry. Lol
I’d just do a close matching touch up paint.
I know it’s painful on a new boat but those really aren’t that bad. At least you didn’t get through the blue paint too.

Yambers

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
So visible cause of the white. I appreciate the comments. Could be on YouTube hard to watch a grown man cry. Lol
Thats nothing. It is almost like a badge of honor. Remember, chicks dig scars. This just shows you come in hot. hahaha

Jmiller912

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
…thanks all

Croker

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Don't worry about the scars enjoy the good times on the water and when the seasons over head into the local marina and have them repair it. There are so many people that can easily repair those marks just find 'the local' someone who's good at their job and has a fair price.

Overtime81

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have the same color boat and my boat looks 100% better after taking the decals off

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Lateral Thrusters, fenders, and/or dock like a Disney World boat. And +1 on the whiteout.
I took my son when he was five to LEGO world. They had a little Disney like electric boat the kids could drive around in a glorified lazy river like loop. He managed to get his boat turned around heading the wrong direction causing a major pileup. There was screaming, shouts of encouragement/directions from the parents. And a few tears from the kids stuck who feared they would sink.

When it was time to dock he headed in at full ramming speed at a 45 degree angle to the dock. When he bounced off the dock he almost pulled the attendant into the water.

We got out of there pretty quick but I didn’t see any scratches on his boat ;)

Last edited:

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I took my son when he was five to LEGO world. They had a little Disney like electric boat the kids could drive around in a glorified lazy river like loop. He managed to get his boat turned around heading the wrong direction causing a major pileup.

When it was time to dock he headed in at full ramming speed at a 45 degree angle to the dock. When he bounced off the dock he almost pulled the attendant into the water.

Sounds like a day at the local boat ramp.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I took my son when he was five to LEGO world. They had a little Disney like electric boat the kids could drive around in a glorified lazy river like loop. He managed to get his boat turned around heading the wrong direction causing a major pileup. There was screaming, shouts of encouragement/directions from the parents. And a few tears from the kids stuck who feared they would sink.

Dad!!! You cannot just change the location and think that people will not know ....

Jmiller912

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sounds about like what I did. Had an I/o boat for 20 years you put it in reverse it goes in reverse. Sad part is I had 4 big fenders out just no fenders in that spot.

danielcasey01

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I got my first jet boat (2008 Yamaha SX230) last summer and there is certainly a learning curve with maneuvering. Practice, practice, practice and I got much better quickly. I also took all the decals off my boat in April (they were faded from the sun) and I think the boat looks fantastic!!
Yamaha.pic.May2021.jpg

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Nice looking boat.

meegwell

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I recommend a steering system (@Cobra Jet Steering LLC ) and then take a day off and go out while the ramp is empty to practice for an hour or two.

Best advise is go as slow as your willing to hit something. Other than that, come in with your nose at 45 degrees to where you want it, then turn the wheel to the dock, put it in reverse and give it some light thrust.
I need to remember this. I've docked (my slip, fuel, and restaurant) about 5 times this past weekend (first times out) and I know I need a lot more practice...and I am real nervous about doing it alone but I will have to at some point soon. Sorry to slightly hijack the topic!

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Don't fret it too much...we got the new 2020 boat and although I didn't hit the dock, I put a plastic Danik hook on the rear cleat at a busy dock and didn't realize it would rub against the silver pinstripe above the rub-rail. Oops...no big deal...a little heat and it's good enough for now. One day I'll probably pull the pinstripe off the boat.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I get that it is a new boat and you want to make it pretty, but those little scratches I would not worry about. If it bugs you, I think that the pinstriping tape would be the way to go. I would not paint (or use white out on) them--that will leave you will lines on your gelcoat if you ever do pull the stickers.

For practice, I prefer the fender in the middle of the lake. First throw one out there. It is a swimmer. Practice coming up along side it (without running over it). Practice coming up to the bow on it, so you can go to the bow and pluck it out of the water. Back up to it... Then toss a second one out there. Pretend the line between the 2 is a dock and do that 45 degree thing described above. Then pull away and try again. Come from the other direction...

Stinks that it was your maiden voyage, but don't worry. The other voyages will provide plenty of fun to make up for it.