• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

First time out and I hit the damn dock

Jmiller912

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks everyone. Looking forward to the next nice day. Ordered the cobra jets today so hope that helps.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I need to remember this. I've docked (my slip, fuel, and restaurant) about 5 times this past weekend (first times out) and I know I need a lot more practice...and I am real nervous about doing it alone but I will have to at some point soon. Sorry to slightly hijack the topic!
Alone is pretty easy at this point for me. I make sure my bumpers are out and ropes at front and back. Along with the docking technique mentioned, I bring the back rope to the helm with me, then when I am at the dock I keep that rope in my hand, move to the front, grab that rope and walk onto the dock. This way I have both ropes for the boat and it can't slide away due to current or wind.

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I ordered a bottle of blue gelcoat after my 1st scratch and never opened it. Now I have an unopened bottle of gelcoat that reminds me of the obsessive 1st season boater that I was. You could just fill it in with white vinyl or change the decal next year.

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
So my dealer gave me 5.5” x 20” Seachoice round fenders for my 21 ft boat. I feel they are good quality but seem small. I’m think of getting the 6.5” x 23” fenders. I really want the 8.5” x 27” fenders but afraid that’s overkill. I could just get 4 babz! Opinions?

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Overkill is never a possibility with fenders. Oversize and not fitting where you store them--that is a different matter. If you have the space to store them, the bigger the better. No question.

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
Overkill is never a possibility with fenders. Oversize and not fitting where you store them--that is a different matter. If you have the space to store them, the bigger the better. No question.
Thanks. I may go with the 8.5”. Our hulls are difficult for perfect placement. I have the storage room for now.

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
Don't fret it too much...we got the new 2020 boat and although I didn't hit the dock, I put a plastic Danik hook on the rear cleat at a busy dock and didn't realize it would rub against the silver pinstripe above the rub-rail. Oops...no big deal...a little heat and it's good enough for now. One day I'll probably pull the pinstripe off the boat.
Thanks for the heads up. I put a plastic Danik hook there all the time. Now I’m afraid to look. I did hit the dock with that fender once. I have it horizontally.

KC-AR240

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The Yamaha decals are paper thin/cheap and scratch easy....Nice part they are cheap to buy. If it’s bad enough just buy new decals and change out when your ready to sell it.
Where can I purchase the decals (Large ones on the sides). After my tie-up for a bite to eat I noticed the boat was hitting the opposite side and found BAD dock rash

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Hot sun and a hot hair dryer, or a heat gun. I used a heat gun to remove mine on a cold day.

Last edited:

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hot sun and a hot hair dryer, or a heat gun. I used a heat gun to remove mine on a cold day.
Add some plastic razor blades and adhesive remover (Goof Off, Goo Gone, etc). You'll wanna wash it really good afterwards as well, I'd go with Dawn for a stripping wash, and plan to re-wax everything afterwards.