• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

First Tow with our Rivian!

Stealth

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
Second season with the boat, but first tow with our Rivian! The truck did great like the boat was not even there. As far as range hit, it seemed to be mostly due to the added aero drag. If we kept the speed in the 60's it seemed to be about a 1/4 to 1/3 hit to range. Mid 70's seemed to double that. However its going to take a few more tows to really figure out the number. Very happy with the truck so far!

IMG_1670.jpeg

obrien19

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Look forward to the updates. The Rivian is probably the only electric vehicle I would consider, just like the design/layouts of them.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Look forward to the updates. The Rivian is probably the only electric vehicle I would consider, just like the design/layouts of them.
Looks like an F150 and a Bronco had a kid.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Looks like an F150 and a Bronco had a kid.
Just to be clear.....I am being funny. I own a Tesla and appreciate the Rivian line as well.

zpaul

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Second season with the boat, but first tow with our Rivian! The truck did great like the boat was not even there. As far as range hit, it seemed to be mostly due to the added aero drag. If we kept the speed in the 60's it seemed to be about a 1/4 to 1/3 hit to range. Mid 70's seemed to double that. However its going to take a few more tows to really figure out the number. Very happy with the truck so far!
As soon as you go over 65mph all electric cars become thirsty. And even without towing you get 1/3 hit to range at 75mph.

Stealth

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
As soon as you go over 65mph all electric cars become thirsty. And even without towing you get 1/3 hit to range at 75mph.
Agreed, definitely see a hit as speed picks up. But really this is true for any car. In the high 70's you'd think our Jeep has a leak in the gas tank. The added drag towing really showed up in the efficiency numbers. Durning normal non-towing it is much less noticeable.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Looks good, Rivians are popping up everywhere around me.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Looks good, Rivians are popping up everywhere around me.
Boss finally got his a couple weeks ago. So I've ridden to lunch about 5-6 times in it now.

They're nice on the inside. Ride nice, and the fit and finish is superb. They're "wider" looking in person with some big hips from some angles. Bed is a little smaller than I expect, and the rear window is absurdly small in person, but perfectly functional. I don't like the glass roof that doesn't open, but I think that's as much personal preference as design flaw. Seats are designed for shorter people, or people who slouch a lot. My shoulders rest on the top of the upper supports instead of "inside" of them. Not uncomfortable, just feels weird at first.

Adjusting the HVAC vents on the screen is fucking stupid. No two ways about that. While I usually ask someone before I adjust anything in their car, now I have to ask not only if I can, but how the hell to get to the settings to do it. Makes getting in a hot truck after lunch more uncomfortable than it should be, and more intrusive to adjust than I like. I still think this is one of the worst decisions here.

Column shift and center console are big wins though. I thought I would had the "reverse gullwing" opening console, but it's actually not bad in practice. Lots of space in there, and it's cushion is relatively soft. The storage space down on the floor is nice as well. Arguably better than the console in my Sierra that I thought was nearly the pinnacle of storage solutions for a pickup.

Biggest issue I've seen with the truck is the phone as key doesn't work for shit. Every single time it either lets him in and won't "start" or won't let him in, then lets him "start". He says it's something with the bluetooth stack in his Samsung phone that the truck doesn't like and that Rivian's working on it. Joys of being an early adopter I suppose.

Saw a cool article on Reddit the other day where the guy spent some time on the alignment rack and recorded the camber and toe curves for the Rivian. Pretty interesting that they had some large swings between standard and lowest setting. Which could explain (more data needed) why the conserve setting wasn't as helpful as expected. Also the toe out at highest setting would lead to some real poor turn in dynamics, although I think speed is limited in highest setting, so it's likely a non-issue.

Overall it's a neat truck. Now that I've been in one, I don't think it's for me though. Just doesn't really blow my skirt up like I expected it to.

Last edited:

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Bummer on the phone as key, worked great for the Tesla. Of course I wouldn't trust an Android phone to be my key, I wonder if it's restricted solely to Samsung. Our Tesla did not have remote start, but we could adjust climate from our phone... I could get that car to 57 degrees on the inside.... Even on the Tesla for AC controls it was on the screen... but AC controls were dual zone and always at the bottom of the screen - simple to use. Bringing up vents was a one-step process. I wasn't a fan of digital adjusting but it wasn't complicated. They could push an update to fix most of those issues.

Epsmith19

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Other

View attachment 197488
Awesome truck

Stealth

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
Biggest issue I've seen with the truck is the phone as key doesn't work for shit. Every single time it either lets him in and won't "start" or won't let him in, then lets him "start". He says it's something with the bluetooth stack in his Samsung phone that the truck doesn't like and that Rivian's working on it. Joys of being an early adopter I suppose.
This may be related to Android. I have the latest iPhone and PAK works near flawlessly.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Bummer on the phone as key, worked great for the Tesla. Of course I wouldn't trust an Android phone to be my key, I wonder if it's restricted solely to Samsung. Our Tesla did not have remote start, but we could adjust climate from our phone... I could get that car to 57 degrees on the inside.... Even on the Tesla for AC controls it was on the screen... but AC controls were dual zone and always at the bottom of the screen - simple to use. Bringing up vents was a one-step process. I wasn't a fan of digital adjusting but it wasn't complicated. They could push an update to fix most of those issues.
Yea, I agree. I would have expected phone as key to work better than it has. I've read it's affecting both Apple and Android users, so I suspect it's protocol, handshake, or some power savings schemes that are borking it up. You talk about not trusting Android as I key, after two years, I've JUST NOW started trusting my proximity key on the Audi. I still try to start the car with the fob a few times a month. Just antiquated habits that die hard. Of course the Audi uses the old 361Mhz signal system so it's wildly insecure to anyone with Youtube access and an amazon account, but at least it works consistently right?

Aside from the vent adjustment, I think it's all fixable with a software update. Can't add hardware for physical adjustment there, however making the controls easier to access might be nice. Honestly I have only used the controls once, and it was like day 3 of ownership for him, so they might be easy to access and he just didn't know what/where to click at first.

Keep in mind I'm a bit of an automotive luddite in terms of user interface stuff. I'm not a fan of touch screens, push to start, multi zone HVAC, and a whole host of other new tech. It's far more sizzle than steak IMO. I somewhat enjoy the basic simplicity of my old pickup. It's unapologetically simple, and has all the things you need and nothing you don't. No MPG display, no fancy screens anywhere. HVAC is just a dial with blue and red sections, fan speed and desired outlet location. It's dead simple, and there's a certain niceness to that.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
This may be related to Android. I have the latest iPhone and PAK works near flawlessly.
From the little I've read it's very hit and miss. I wouldn't go beyond it being a location specific issue with what interference is in the area. Could be driver issue on user side hardware. Such a long list of stars that have to align for that to work properly.

Stealth

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
From the little I've read it's very hit and miss. I wouldn't go beyond it being a location specific issue with what interference is in the area. Could be driver issue on user side hardware. Such a long list of stars that have to align for that to work properly.
I have read similar things with random issues with it, thankfully for me, for whatever reason it works real well. I often don't carry any other key for it.

meaningreen

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Keep the updates coming, I've been considering one and am nervous with it comes to range towing a 21'.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My friend has one and he gets about 200 miles give or take towing his Moomba on trips. He sold his other truck and regrets not still having it for long trips. He likes the Rivian, but is a bit dismayed about towing long distances. Locally it works out great. Going up North which is about a 300 mile trip to Traverse City, they break up into two days. I do it in 4.5 hrs towing.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
200 miles towing is great IMO. A standard 1500 will only get around 230 miles, sounds like he didn't really think it through.

Stealth

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
I'll update this once I get a few more tows in with my data. For my needs my farthest tow is ~150 miles round trip. So if I get close to 200 I'll be content. I only towed the boat on one direction of the trip so far but it looked like I should be near or at 200. I'm seeing in the ballpark of 300 miles in normal range.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'll update this once I get a few more tows in with my data. For my needs my farthest tow is ~150 miles round trip. So if I get close to 200 I'll be content. I only towed the boat on one direction of the trip so far but it looked like I should be near or at 200. I'm seeing in the ballpark of 300 miles in normal range.
How fast do Rivians charge?