• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

First Tow with our Rivian!

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So I just got off the phone with my friend. He indicated that on the Freeway at 60-70 mph he gets 170 miles max towing the boat, with gear and 4 people in truck.

Stealth

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
So I just got off the phone with my friend. He indicated that on the Freeway at 60-70 mph he gets 170 miles max towing the boat, with gear and 4 people in truck.
That would not shock me at all. I'm very interested in how I make out with it long term.

How fast do Rivians charge?
You can DCFC up to about 220kw (400+ miles an hour). However this number does slow down as the battery fills up. I have read that this number is going to be raised with an update soon as well. Even towing I don't go far enough to really push the limits and need to charge on the road so I havn't had any issues here yet. I also charge nightly so each day I start with plenty of range.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'll update this once I get a few more tows in with my data. For my needs my farthest tow is ~150 miles round trip. So if I get close to 200 I'll be content. I only towed the boat on one direction of the trip so far but it looked like I should be near or at 200. I'm seeing in the ballpark of 300 miles in normal range.
200mi of range would get me to the lake and back on a single charge. I need about 150mi of range, and want to keep about 15% in reserve in case the kids want ice cream on the way home or similar shenanigans come up (they often do).

I'll be waiting patiently to hear your consumption rate. I have a lot of estimates, but no real good data.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
200 miles towing is great IMO. A standard 1500 will only get around 230 miles, sounds like he didn't really think it through.
People who buy fullsize trucks with the 25 gallon tanks don't count. They shouldn't even offer the small tanks.

An f150 with the (proper) 36 gallon tank would get like 300 miles or range towing, and be able to fill up in 5 or 10 minutes.

obrien19

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
People who buy fullsize trucks with the 25 gallon tanks don't count. They shouldn't even offer the small tanks.

An f150 with the (proper) 36 gallon tank would get like 300 miles or range towing, and be able to fill up in 5 or 10 minutes.
Wish I had the option to upgrade the fuel tank on my Sierra. GMC actually changed it from 26 to 24 gallons.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
25-ish gal tanks are the bulk of truck sales, we do count even if you don't like it. Clearly there are plenty of people that buy, use, and are happy with the smaller tank/battery. That's why they offer it.

200mi of towing range covers all but one trip a year for me on a single charge/tank. Why would I buy more capacity if I'm never going to use it? Just lug that extra weight around for funsies? Even my mostly overprepared boyscout nature doesn't see the need for that.

My use case isn't the same as others, but you can't just say it doesn't count.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
25-ish gal tanks are the bulk of truck sales, we do count even if you don't like it. Clearly there are plenty of people that buy, use, and are happy with the smaller tank/battery. That's why they offer it.

200mi of towing range covers all but one trip a year for me on a single charge/tank. Why would I buy more capacity if I'm never going to use it? Just lug that extra weight around for funsies? Even my mostly overprepared boyscout nature doesn't see the need for that.

My use case isn't the same as others, but you can't just say it doesn't count.
The weight penalty of a larger tank is negligible really. 10 gallons of gas is 80 pounds, maybe the tank weighs 20 pounds more. 100 pounds is nothing on a fullsize.

I get why they offer it, it's an upcharge. They could make the larger tank standard, but then they couldn't just charge more for it. But anyone order a truck should absolutely order the larger tank. Even from a convenience perspective, it's a huge improvement because you're getting another 50ish % of range before you have to fill up, with no loss of fuel economy.

I stand by my conviction that the smaller tanks should all be phased out and only.offer the larger tank. I've never heard of a real downside to them.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Wish I had the option to upgrade the fuel tank on my Sierra. GMC actually changed it from 26 to 24 gallons.
That's a shame. Titan tanks makes a 43 gallon for the baby Duramax motors at least. Didn't see anything for gassers.

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
The weight penalty of a larger tank is negligible really. 10 gallons of gas is 80 pounds, maybe the tank weighs 20 pounds more. 100 pounds is nothing on a fullsize.

I get why they offer it, it's an upcharge. They could make the larger tank standard, but then they couldn't just charge more for it. But anyone order a truck should absolutely order the larger tank. Even from a convenience perspective, it's a huge improvement because you're getting another 50ish % of range before you have to fill up, with no loss of fuel economy.

I stand by my conviction that the smaller tanks should all be phased out and only.offer the larger tank. I've never heard of a real downside to them.
I agree with @BlkGS. If you buy a Ram that is set up for towing, it has a larger gas tank, my 2020 is 33 gallons. Even optioned out, the Ram ICE is considerably less expensive than the EV, so I think this is what should be used for comparison. Likewise, when we talk about the EVs, we almost always talk about the larger battery banks, as smaller ones are just silly in an EV truck.

Jim

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I had a long reply typed out. I deleted it. We've hashed this shit out before, and we didn't agree then either.

Buy what blows your skirt up. Not everyone needs a giant battery and giant fuel tank to feel validated on their once a year tow or vacation. There's plenty of us out here that neither want, nor need the larger capacities.

obrien19

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I just imagine all the "pissing matches" that were missed and not document before the internet. Anyways, some pictures of this Rivian would be pretty cool.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I agree with @BlkGS. If you buy a Ram that is set up for towing, it has a larger gas tank, my 2020 is 33 gallons. Even optioned out, the Ram ICE is considerably less expensive than the EV, so I think this is what should be used for comparison. Likewise, when we talk about the EVs, we almost always talk about the larger battery banks, as smaller ones are just silly in an EV truck.

Jim
Is pricing out for the Ram EV?

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I don’t think Ram is expected to release the Ram EV until Fall of next year. Early estimates are $58,000 to $100,000, pretty much in-line with the Ford 150 Lightning prices. Will have to wait and see what the real world delivery prices are. It will be interesting to see what the Rivian delivery numbers are for 2023 and 2024 as the first major player to hit the marketplace.

Still hope to purchase our first EV in the next year or so. It however, with be a compact SUV and not our primary tow vehicle.

Jim

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I had a long reply typed out. I deleted it. We've hashed this shit out before, and we didn't agree then either.

Buy what blows your skirt up. Not everyone needs a giant battery and giant fuel tank to feel validated on their once a year tow or vacation. There's plenty of us out here that neither want, nor need the larger capacities.
I don't recall it... But we probably did.

I just see the larger tank as no downside. The only reason the OEMs don't make it standard is it saves them pennies vs a larger one in materials, and they can then charge consumers more for an upgrade tank. It's not even about the once a year trip, it's about the "fill up twice a month instead of once a week" part for me. That's convenient to not have to mess with.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I don't recall it... But we probably did.

I just see the larger tank as no downside. The only reason the OEMs don't make it standard is it saves them pennies vs a larger one in materials, and they can then charge consumers more for an upgrade tank. It's not even about the once a year trip, it's about the "fill up twice a month instead of once a week" part for me. That's convenient to not have to mess with.
I respect the choice, but also agree they should just make them standard. Easy profit generating option for manufacturers.

meaningreen

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
This is really the only article I've seen with real world data. Granted this trailer and car were roughly 6,000 LBS. Rivian Employee tows cross country.

I typically tow other trailers and not just my boat and can go as far as 300 miles in a day depending if it's a lake trip or ATV's. Yes I know ICE is better for that, plenty to debate. But I have not seen a charging station at any of my lakes I visit.

Last edited:

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
But I have not seen a charging station at any of my lakes I visit.
We have (2) at local marina's near me. They aren't accessible with a trailer, and they are for slip holders only. They're coming, just gonna take some time.

We just sold our camper, and are already talking tent camping this summer for a couple weekends. If we tent camp, 170miles with the boat and gear would work well. Get everywhere except our once a year vacation towing. Recharge at the campground overnight.

Still don't think I'll get an EV until prices come down. Juice just isn't quite worth the squeeze yet, and I'm not in love with any of the EV's. Could change quickly with the right pickup though.

silverJ

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Nice new tow rig!

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
We have (2) at local marina's near me. They aren't accessible with a trailer, and they are for slip holders only. They're coming, just gonna take some time.

We just sold our camper, and are already talking tent camping this summer for a couple weekends. If we tent camp, 170miles with the boat and gear would work well. Get everywhere except our once a year vacation towing. Recharge at the campground overnight.

Still don't think I'll get an EV until prices come down. Juice just isn't quite worth the squeeze yet, and I'm not in love with any of the EV's. Could change quickly with the right pickup though.
I'm gonna again bring up that if they'd just use a gas or diesel range extender and electric motors for power with a modest batter, this whole issue goes away. Imagine a truck with a battery taking up the bottom 3-4" of the bed (obviously underneath it and armored), with a small generator and a standard or extended range gas tank for it. All the perks of an EV with none of the drawbacks.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I'm gonna again bring up that if they'd just use a gas or diesel range extender and electric motors for power with a modest batter, this whole issue goes away. Imagine a truck with a battery taking up the bottom 3-4" of the bed (obviously underneath it and armored), with a small generator and a standard or extended range gas tank for it. All the perks of an EV with none of the drawbacks.
But the environment....