• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Floor Cooler Lift/Support Fix Ideas?

ratchetdu

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SR
Boat Length
I have tried several attempts to fix the support strut on the underside of the floor locker/cooler lid. I'm out of options to try, and giving it shot here for ideas...

Tried so far:
JB Weld
Gorilla Glue
2 Part Epoxy
Filled screw holes in with marine putty, and redrilled with existing screws. stripped right back out.
Tried above adhesives with a block of wood, and drilled that.
I'm sure I'm forgetting something else tried...

Only option left is to drill holes through to top, countersink, and bolt from underneath leaving head of bolt visible from top of lid, which I think someone has done before. Dont want to this, but not sure anything else will work or hold? Just sick of the lid falling shut while digging below for a beer...

Open for ideas or suggestions...

Thanks in advance.

ratchetdu

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SR
Boat Length
I go grab some and try it... But not very optimistic. Looks like it is more for shaft type products that have a clean break. I'll use it to fill the holes, and cover the area, then re tap and see... :/

jetboater4life

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I had the same stripped screws. All I had to do was drill new holes slightly offset from the originals but far enough away to maintain strength. I filled the old holes and now it works great. The support works just fine even when not mounted in the exact same location. If you need a picture I can go out and take one.

soggyshoes

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Wow. I am surprised that the 2 part epoxy with with plugs didn't work. I have had great success with West Systems epoxy and using wood or fiberglass fibers for filer.
The other option you may try is a screw receptacle twist anchor like they use for anchoring into CMU block and drywall. It is a larger outside shaft with a low thread count and a shallow rake. epoxying a larger shaft which would go into 'fresh' fiberglass in the hull might stay secure.
Here is an idea of what I am talking about:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/E-Z-Ancor-Stud-Solver-7-x-1-1-4-in-Alloy-Flat-Head-Self-Drilling-Drywall-Anchors-with-Screws-4-Pack-29503/100234590
or
http://www.homedepot.com/p/E-Z-Ancor-Twist-N-Lock-8-x-1-1-4-in-White-Nylon-Flat-Head-Phillips-75-Medium-Duty-Drywall-Anchors-with-Screws-20-Pack-25210/100140114
Good luck!