• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Flooring Dilemma

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
We have a flooring dilemma... seeking opinions.

Background:
We picked up a COVID puppy and with working from home, it’s unpredictability impacted the speed with which crate and potty training have worked. As a consequence, *some?* of the dogs have used our dining room and upper hallway when nature calls. We fear that it’s going to start to give our house the aroma... and maybe we’re going to become nose blind to it.

We have hardwood in the majority of the first floor of the house and it was install and stain on-site variety. We had it redone maybe 8 years ago. Now the color is a bit dated.

Solutions under consideration:

1. Take out the carpets and raise subfloor 3/4” and install LVT over entire first floor (including the hardwood.) Second floor, remove all carpet and install LVT.

2. Add unfinished hardwood to carpeted rooms downstairs. Remove carpet from upstairs, install unfinished hardwood. Sand whole house and refinish with a lighter color.

I know the second option will cost a small fortune and option 1 won’t be cheap. Thoughts??

Attachments

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I would never cover nice hardwood with LVT, personally. Puppy will get the rules straight eventually, then I'd either replace the carpet if needed (a professional cleaning will probably do the job, if the carpet isnt too old), or go with adding new hardwood and then sanding/staining all, but that's a royal PITA and $$$$.

jdkaeser

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
I have used a lot of the LVT in a retail environment. The stuff tends to gouge easily in my book and is a PITA to swap that piece out if it is in the middle if it is the tounge and groove variety. It is great in a bathroom or laundry where your not moving furniture and holds up really well to water. I would go route #1 personally and I'd go darker on the stain. Dark floors with white trim will look great and you'll get more interested buyers if you ever go to sell.
1603743641025.png

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks gang. We’re going to get estimate on installing hardwood in the carpeted rooms and refinish the existing floor to a new uniform color.

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
We had our hardwoods extended into the previously carpeted great room so the entire first floor is now oak except for tile in the kitchen. You are right. It wasn’t cheap; but we absolutely love it. We also went darker, taking it from a similar color to yours to dark walnut. I also ripped out all of the old stair posts and balusters to install an updated design. The math sucked but it turned out very nice.
8EC28C9A-8910-42AE-9466-1A9ACBF6298B.jpeg

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
For sure @Dixemon! I think of it more like having three kids and owning a minivan. You just can’t worry about them messing it up, cause it is going to happen. Once they grow up a bit, you can toss it and get the car you really want. Let them trash the carpet as pups if you can’t stop it. Clean as much as you can, then toss it and put floors in to enjoy and add value to your home. P.S. is that a crop duster?

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
We had our hardwoods extended into the previously carpeted great room so the entire first floor is now oak except for tile in the kitchen. You are right. It wasn’t cheap; but we absolutely love it. We also went darker, taking it from a similar color to yours to dark walnut. I also ripped out all of the old stair posts and balusters to install an updated design. The math sucked but it turned out very nice.
View attachment 136126
Update on this thread... we came to same conclusion that you did. We decided to extend (and feather in with existing) the hardwood to fill in the dining room and the office.

we are also going to replace the master and the upstairs hallway carpet with white oak too. The whole smash will get sanded then stained, sealed. We’re getting the work donein early December.

I may start on carpet removal tomorrow, and I will update with pictures.

thanks to all for the input, looking forward to the outcome, but not the math.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Currently I am using LVT, but not the big box store stuff. Did a lot of research on it to understand the different products. The quality, backing and wear .mil layer are the most important.

I am using a product US Floors called CoreTec which has a 24mil wear layer. Life proof and other stuff from HD, Lowes, Menards, etc, most have a wear layer of anywhere from 4 -7mil which makes them poor quality. This wasn't always the case.

I have about 800 sq. feet First Floor down and it doesn't scratch and is phenomenal. Plus the backing on it is fantastic. No underlayment needed. I have another 750 sq. feet upstairs on Second floor. Will be finishing the first floor library dining room and kitchen with it soon as well to make the first floor completely continuous. IF I ever get the kitchen done. Just need to do a final light coat on the drywall mud then prime and put up the cabinets then floors will be going in.

20201108_182434.jpg20201108_182448.jpg20201108_170632.jpg

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Update on this thread... we came to same conclusion that you did. We decided to extend (and feather in with existing) the hardwood to fill in the dining room and the office.

we are also going to replace the master and the upstairs hallway carpet with white oak too. The whole smash will get sanded then stained, sealed. We’re getting the work donein early December.

I may start on carpet removal tomorrow, and I will update with pictures.

thanks to all for the input, looking forward to the outcome, but not the math.
Put some SeaDek on in, don't forget special pieces they look good and easy on your feet. :D

--

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Nothing beats tile in bullet proof-ed-ness. We did the lower level in the old house, loved it.
1605102080267.png

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Nothing beats tile in bullet proof-ed-ness. We did the lower level in the old house, loved it.
View attachment 136971
That looks fantastic!!!

Out basement has carpet from when we finished it, it hasn’t gotten a lot of use and is still in good shape. The look is a little dated now (damn if it isn’t now 12 years older) so will probably do tile or lvt down there to make it bulletproof.

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
We installed this tile 18 years ago. It has held up well. Bulletproof? I would not want to drop my Estwing on it. But we have dropped plenty on it since install with no damage.

20201111_093012_1.jpg

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Decided to start on the second floor. I hope this turns out to be the right move! I’m thinking of just removing the carpet tack strips and leaving the carpet loose until the wood install happens in dec. thoughts?

5D4E3131-5B05-41DD-AE09-93CFEC25FAE9.jpeg9DAAA545-4359-43E0-BF60-B409CE5840AF.jpeg

DRAT

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
we had the same problem with our dogs getting upstairs and leaving gifts... i guess they think carpet = grass. we finally had a woodworking neighbor build us a gate at the bottom of the stairs, no more problem. mark_m, i think you made a wise, if expensive, choice. real wood floors will never go out of style. HangOutdoors is right about CoreTec, too. it's a great product (now owned by Shaw).

i own a flooring company, pm if you need to bounce anything off me. i'm happy to help.
Flooring store in Dallas - Ft. Worth, TX | Flooring Direct

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Carpet has been removed in all areas except the office. Wednesday they are coming to install the new hardwood.

4B0455CD-1897-429C-962F-41F7BA2BFA9B.jpeg1AE44D48-3BBC-4EA1-BD8F-303DC6FD5A23.jpeg4D79A999-B681-4C20-804D-BCD73D030061.jpegF3284CC3-70E9-4BCA-AFED-DD5D0BA2B82F.jpeg770327FA-05BD-4209-B4C5-6A7603B63B39.jpeg9A8471C6-CD27-402B-A16E-2B64377088CE.jpeg

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
All the floor is down as of last night pretty sore this morning.

20201129_093812.jpg20201129_093738.jpg20201129_093732.jpg20201129_093622.jpg

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
We are ready for install tomorrow!!
@GiddYupJoe look closely in the dining room ;)
tempImagerrrOQs.pngtempImageRuoAoj.pngtempImageKchsJA.pngtempImage2LfMRo.pngtempImage4dkvcI.png

GiddYupJoe

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
NA
At first I thought maybe you stole my old Dyson... but then I see it. Tough win last night. Going to be an interesting season. Need to reset expectations that all will not be like last!