• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Florida houses with metal roofs

Brad_Ct

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The house we bought in Alva (NE of Fort Myers) needs to have the roof replaced, got three prices on asphalt roofs but am being told they will only last 15 yrs. with the heat and humidity in Florida. Another option from what have we heard are metal roofs that will last 30 yrs. My wife says we should get prices on a metal roof and if they aren't ridiculous, get it replaced once and be done with it.

Anyone in SW Florida have a metal roof on their house? If so, how is it as far as noise? And could you recommend a roofer that does metal?

ifly4fun

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We had one on a lake house in South Texas, never noticed any difference between it and an asphalt roof.

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
I had a metal roof installed on top of asphalt. I like it a lot. Noise, might be a little quieter but definitely not worse. Cost difference about the same as lifetime shingles (I haggled a little).

One thing to consider is cell phone service. Sprint in my area was not to good to begin with. Now, it's bad. Even with a booster (Sprint provided for free), it got only marginally better. Certain locations in the house we get dropped calls. That sucks.

Ilmmct

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
In coastal NC ... I was recently quoted the cost of a Metal roof and it was 50% more than mid-grade asphalt. I did not get a material and install cost breakdown.

PEARCE

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The only bad thing that I know of with a metal roof on a house is the lack of cell phone signal in the house. If you have WiFi at home and it's always turned on on your phone I suppose you'll be fine. Metal roofs are very popular here in Texas.

Steve Risley

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
We are not in Florida, but in Georgia. We decided to go with a metal roof due to the longevity. The price was a little higher, but not enough to squash the deal (we got about 4-5 different quotes from local roofers). They placed the metal roof over our shingles and told us it would provide better insulation and help with sound as well. We really like the look and have had no issues. Now on to the noise different...We just happen to have several large oak trees surrounding the house and the every fall it's like we are in a war zone...When those acorns fall on the roof it sounds like a shotgun going off...Really loud, but we are use to it and only last about a month till they all fall off. To make a long story short, if you do not have any acorns falling on your roof, then I think you would be quite pleased with a metal roof. Almost forget, we can hear the rain a little bit more when it's a really hard rain (downpour), but not enough to even consider this an issue. Good luck!

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
We are not in Florida, but in Georgia. We decided to go with a metal roof due to the longevity. The price was a little higher, but not enough to squash the deal (we got about 4-5 different quotes from local roofers). They placed the metal roof over our shingles and told us it would provide better insulation and help with sound as well. We really like the look and have had no issues. Now on to the noise different...We just happen to have several large oak trees surrounding the house and the every fall it's like we are in a war zone...When those acorns fall on the roof it sounds like a shotgun going off...Really loud, but we are use to it and only last about a month till they all fall off. To make a long story short, if you do not have any acorns falling on your roof, then I think you would be quite pleased with a metal roof. Almost forget, we can hear the rain a little bit more when it's a really hard rain (downpour), but not enough to even consider this an issue. Good luck!
LOL! Didn't even think about that. Good point. I too was informed on the insulation benefits. I believe that air gap helps to quiet it down some.

Steve Risley

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
One more item, cell coverage. Because we are in the middle of nowhere on a lake, the only cell coverage we get is Verizon (had Sprint and had to change cell service provider). We do not notice a difference inside the house verses outside or anywhere in the general area.

BigN8

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I would stick with Asphalt shingles. GAF Timberline has a 25 year shingle you can buy. More than likely your house will be storm damaged before the 25 years, so your insurance will pay for the new roof eventually, or you will move. My house when built in Dallas area has been hit with numerouse hail storms, high winds, and oppresive heat since 2007. I just replace the roof last year and only because of a hail storm with baseball size hail. I got up there and looked at it and still really never saw much damage, but I took the opportunity to have insurance get me a new roof.

Metal has issues you will not have with asphalt shingles. Noise, being biggest. Thermal expansion and contraction over time will loosen seams and fasteners. If you go metal be sure to get a standing seam metal roof. Do not install an exposed fastener R-Panel style roof system. I've never seen one that did not leak. With standing seam be sure it's installed per Florida building code and Miami Dade uplift requirements. The clips in the seams need to have the proper spacing for wind uplift

BigN8

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I forgot to mention, I've been in the roofing business for 25 years. All commercial. I've coated more than a million sqft of metal roofs with elastomeric coating over the years once they start to leak. I worked for a PVC single ply manufacturer and currently work for the highest rated SBS modified bitumen manufacturer, also owned a commercial roofing company for 8 years. If you have any more questions ask away or PM me.

Brad_Ct

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks for the responses, we are going to go asphalt. Got quoted $38k for metal and $21k for asphalt.

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I would stick with Asphalt shingles. GAF Timberline has a 25 year shingle you can buy. More than likely your house will be storm damaged before the 25 years, so your insurance will pay for the new roof eventually, or you will move. My house when built in Dallas area has been hit with numerouse hail storms, high winds, and oppresive heat since 2007. I just replace the roof last year and only because of a hail storm with baseball size hail. I got up there and looked at it and still really never saw much damage, but I took the opportunity to have insurance get me a new roof.

Metal has issues you will not have with asphalt shingles. Noise, being biggest. Thermal expansion and contraction over time will loosen seams and fasteners. If you go metal be sure to get a standing seam metal roof. Do not install an exposed fastener R-Panel style roof system. I've never seen one that did not leak. With standing seam be sure it's installed per Florida building code and Miami Dade uplift requirements. The clips in the seams need to have the proper spacing for wind uplift
Most of what you said was way over my head but we have not noticed any difference in noise with our metal roof.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I had a metal roof installed on top of asphalt. I like it a lot. Noise, might be a little quieter but definitely not worse. Cost difference about the same as lifetime shingles (I haggled a little).

One thing to consider is cell phone service. Sprint in my area was not to good to begin with. Now, it's bad. Even with a booster (Sprint provided for free), it got only marginally better. Certain locations in the house we get dropped calls. That sucks.
Most cell phones & services allow wifi calling where you can turn on an option on your phone to use your home wifi signal to make calls from your cell phone. Check your phone for that option.

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Most cell phones & services allow wifi calling where you can turn on an option on your phone to use your home wifi signal to make calls from your cell phone. Check your phone for that option.
You're right and we do have the option. But I believe you then have to turn off wifi when you leave your house and then back on when you return. (?)

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
You're right and we do have the option. But I believe you then have to turn off wifi when you leave your house and then back on when you return. (?)
That's not correct. The phone grabs the strongest signal automatically as it does with data.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
With regard to metal roofing. My mom just had it done last year. It was 30k as apposed to 7k for a conventional roof up here in the northeast. Nearly 5 times more money. She went metal because it came with a 50 year warranty. My mom is 94.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Looks like it will be awhile before you can expect any inheritance.

Reactions: Gym

BigN8

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Rule #1, warranties protect the manufacturer....not the building owner. Lot's of fine print and hoops to jump through to get warranty coverage. Statistically most roofs are replaced by storm damage, aka "acts of God", before the warranty ever kicks in.